Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • It's always more fun to have several Cats going. Even in 20mph we generally take both the 5.7 & 5.0 out solo, rather than 2-up on the 5.7
    Unfortunately is is a rare day that we can get 3 together.
    I noticed your boats are set up for spins, & that they seem to be mid pole snuffers. I'm contemplating a carbon fiber pole, end pole set up. What are the differences, (besides the obvious that one is middle & one end)?
    What are the pros/cons of end vs mid?
    When it comes to the actual kite, what should I be looking for?
    I only know there are symmetrical & asymetrical.
    Again differences, pros/cons. I think I read about Andrew preferring one because you can gybe the sail?
    Why do some sheet the kite on the shrouds, some the rear beam?
    All you spin gurus, please help out a kite noob!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    What are the pros/cons of end vs mid?

Why do some sheet the kite on the shrouds, some the rear beam?

Pitch with the end pole and you will probably be repairing/replacing the hoop or converting to mid pole.
    Less windage with the mind pole.

If your sheeting from the rear beam as the first block, you've got a huge spin.
    We have a block hanging off the rear beam used as a cheater and helps keep the sheet and halyard tidy.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Having owned both, I would stay away from the end pole for many reasons. And end poles are easier to fowl by rookie crews and the helm not heading up quick enough. Spin under the bow and tangled in the bridles is a beatch. If you're starting from scratch, build a midpole. They're cheap and easy, and work the best.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks for the info. It will definitely be rookie crew, as well as skipper, as far as handling this sail is concerned.The setup being offered is a carbon fiber end pole design. Can you "rebuild" an end pole into a midpole?
    I'll repost the questions under a new heading, I need to learn all I can in the next week or so.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • a new alum pole is around $100 - that is by far the cheapest major part of the system - it shouldn't dictate your setup

the hoop is around $450 from AHPC.
    I think a SNU setup is about the same (i would get a new snu over a hoop, plus the snu comes with a bag

spin - i use a Tornado spin (n20 sized) works well - the newer the better - (actually what i have now was an experimental spin that was not utilized in the last olympic campaign on tornado's. )

I started with a beat up $100 f18 spin ... was a bit small, had 100's of holes, and slow compared to the T spin that everyone else had - not a bad way to start if you want to start slow... but i would recommend just getting a full size one and learning with that...

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.