Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

solcat 18 mast issues  Bottom

• This week we took down my solcat 18 mast. We drilled a hole through the base and put a pin in there, and attempted to slowly lower the mast, but the weight overtook us and the mast crashed down, bending the pin and pulling the base part of the mast that sits on the ball of the forward crossbeam partway out of the mast.http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=105849&g2_serialNumber=7 if this has happened to anybody else, please respond! Also please give any ideas on how to fix this.

--
    Evan
    1978 Solcat 18
    Duluth, MN
    --
  • not the end of the world :) you can drill out the rivets and pull the mast base out to see if there is any real damage(stress cracks) done. If you are lucky, there will be other spots you can drill and re-rivet the base to the mast no problem. Be sure there are no cracks or split at the bottom of the mast as they could spread once under pressure. I have not done this on a solcat but have on many other cats... the questions are, did the rivets shear and is there any more damage inside. once you know that it should be smooth sailing from there. You may have to get a new (or new to you) mast base depending on the damage
  • Thanks, what a relief! I have thought about replacing the mast base with a nacra base like someone suggested in another forum post. They said it would make stepping easier, which I think would be well worth the trouble that would probably go into buying and modifying the nacra setup. Also if there's anyone out there with an easy solcat stepping system, let me know about that too!

Edited by ehost on Sep 29, 2013 - 05:56 PM.

--
    Evan
    1978 Solcat 18
    Duluth, MN
    --
  • Hobie Mast Stepper III, Works great for all boats that need to be stepped with a rotated mast and lets me step and unstep the mast by myself. I use it for both my Nacras, takes a few minutes to setup but if you don't have someone to help or aren't confident with lifting or lowering the mast its a life saver. You can probably make a similar gin pole setup yourself but for the $240 it cost it was worth it to me.

http://shop.foghmarine.co…/4,113.html#.UkkGCEaEgdk

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.