Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where's the 5.7 love?  Bottom

• I see a lot of recommendations for the 5.7 from people on this forum and there seems to be a good number of owners. However there's a serious lack of videos on them. Lets change that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKr2X9ULdJU Good wind on this one, mounted on tiller. Not a fan of the mounting location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Pwjghq5lw I like the mount (head strap) much better, but the wind was pretty tame.
    all filmed with hero 3 black (1080p activated 60fps)
    lets get some 5.7 love!

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Haha, I just mounted my go pro on my 5.7 two weekends ago. I put 1 mount on each hull right near bridle and I have a head mount. Unfortunately the videos from 3 knots of wind were not worth posting. Looks like you got your girlfriend hooked, congrats!

Are you around on the weekend?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I loved my 5.7 and miss it to this day. It was a fun fast family orientated boat and very forgiving. I had Elliot Pattison make me a set of square top pentex sails and the low end performance improved dramatically. She is now sailing on Lake Murray SC with her new owners.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • She was a beautiful lady

Edited by JennaMeyer on Sep 17, 2013 - 07:59 AM.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • Your boat looks a bit newer than my 5.7, those graphics look to be circa 1988. They are a great boat, I can almost touch 22 mph, solo, two up, or 3 up.
    I have a couple of suggestions.
    Tighten your tramp, it shouldn't flop around as seen in video #1. I have post somewhere on this site regarding using carpenters clamps to pull things tight. Then it is a 1 man, or GF job to lace & tie.
    Apply a bit more downhaul on the main. Video #1 shows quite a few horizontal wrinkles, apply enough downhaul so those horizontal wrinkles are not evident when you sheet the main. Video #2 shows diagonal wrinkles. These are caused again by to little downhaul. With the sail "loose" the blocks pull the clew rearwards & downwards. Not enough downhaul will give you those horizontal wrinkles when you sheet hard. Enough to remove the wrinkles in light wind, haul more to depower as the wind builds.
    Weight forward is a good thing for upwind sailing. If you get out in big waves you may want your GF to be standing right beside you. Being separated results in the hulls sort of doing a "rocking chair" over the wave crests, resulting in the bows diving deeper, & I can attest, the 5.7 will pitchpole if driven hard that way.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have video of that rocking motion of my old 5.7 We were really ripping along.
    Edchris177Your boat looks a bit newer than my 5.7, those graphics look to be circa 1988. They are a great boat, I can almost touch 22 mph, solo, two up, or 3 up.
    I have a couple of suggestions.
    Tighten your tramp, it shouldn't flop around as seen in video #1. I have post somewhere on this site regarding using carpenters clamps to pull things tight. Then it is a 1 man, or GF job to lace & tie.
    Apply a bit more downhaul on the main. Video #1 shows quite a few horizontal wrinkles, apply enough downhaul so those horizontal wrinkles are not evident when you sheet the main. Video #2 shows diagonal wrinkles. These are caused again by to little downhaul. With the sail "loose" the blocks pull the clew rearwards & downwards. Not enough downhaul will give you those horizontal wrinkles when you sheet hard. Enough to remove the wrinkles in light wind, haul more to depower as the wind builds.
    Weight forward is a good thing for upwind sailing. If you get out in big waves you may want your GF to be standing right beside you. Being separated results in the hulls sort of doing a "rocking chair" over the wave crests, resulting in the bows diving deeper, & I can attest, the 5.7 will pitchpole if driven hard that way.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.