Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

They are not Pontoons!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quote"What is the sound of one halyard slapping?"

"But if it happens after the crew fell off & I'm drifting miles away, does it make a sound?"

QuoteSponsons. I'll accept pontoon, but I just can't take the term, 'sponson.'

The water bombers,(flying boats) that operated in the summers for forest fire suppression called the small floats,(whoops, I better term them "appendages") at the end of the wings sponsons. The lower portion of the aircraft, that provided buoyancy was the hull.
    http://www.bombardier.com…amphibious-aircraft.html

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 11, 2013 - 03:21 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Other than calling our hulls "pontoons" the other comment that makes me cringe equally and frequently is telling me that my Shiba Inu "looks like a fox". If I had a dollar for each time I've heard both I'd be stinking rich!
  • I actually heard one of he America's cup announcer say "lee-ward". Ugh

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • This thread is, well, entertaining. Carry on.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Here is a pontoon boat

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5003324482979210&pid=1.7

It's just missing that stick... You know, the stick you hang this funny looking flapping fabric. And what's the deal with that bunch of cables and ropes all over the place? Oh yeah, how about theze piece of plywood you stick in the center of the pontoon. Have no idea what's for...

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • And why does every non-catsailor call ALL beach cats, Hobiecats?? My mother does that all the time and it drives me nuts! That's like calling all refrigerators Fridgidairs or something

Which reminds me about pronouncing windward and leeward properly. I live in Norfolk, VA and you can always tell the out-of-towners by the way they mispronounce local city names:

Norfolk - they say nor-folk, it should be norfuck or for the old timers, Nahfuck
    Suffolk - they say Suf-folk, should be Suffuck
    Portsmouth - they say Ports-mouth, should be Portsmuth
  • guy at McD's was actually afraid that my shiba (sitting quiet and still) was a wolf dog and would jump out of the passenger seat into the drive up window and kill him. he wouldn't open the window all the way to prevent that from happening

(sorry for the hijack)

lawrencer2003my Shiba Inu "looks like a fox". If I had a dollar for each time I've heard both I'd be stinking rich!

Edited by MN3 on Sep 12, 2013 - 08:26 AM.
  • Have ya tried the decaffeinated coffee?

;)

DanBergerAnd why does every non-catsailor call ALL beach cats, Hobiecats?? My mother does that all the time and it drives me nuts! That's like calling all refrigerators Fridgidairs or something

Which reminds me about pronouncing windward and leeward properly. I live in Norfolk, VA and you can always tell the out-of-towners by the way they mispronounce local city names:

Norfolk - they say nor-folk, it should be norfuck or for the old timers, Nahfuck
  • Yes..."Hobie Cat" = Generic term for Beach Cat.
  • Oh well that explains it. The next time someone tells me to go Nahfuck myself I will react differently.

I HATE it when someone calls my 5.7 a hobiecat (one word said that way). Yes I know that all catamarans are hobie 16s but mine is WAY bigger than that. And faster. Plus the pontoons are shaped way different.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • QuoteNorfolk - they say nor-folk, it should be norfuck or for the old timers, Nahfuck

Of course when I stay over in Jolly Olde England they pronounce those (original English) names quite differently, & get agitated about how you usurpers butcher the Queens English.
    God forbid an overnighter in Scotland, or anywhere in Newfoundland, you may assume they speak some foreign tongue. Robin Williams did a good skit on that.
    Hell, even you 'Mericans pronounce things wildly different, depending on where in the Lower 48 you are. Just ask an Atlanta Belle, a Bostonian, & someone from Jersey where they park their car. Our cab driver in New Orleans,(or should I say Nawlins)was a linguistic experience icon_lol
    The Aussies & the Kiwis have their own unique slant, but they have an excuse...have you ever tried taking while upside down?
    Some of the weirdest is in the Caribbean, trying to figure out the air traffic control guy in Mo Bay is always an exercise in linguistic gymnastics.
    In the end, who really cares, & what does it matter? There are beautiful girls everywhere & most countries make good beer. If they have Beachcats to boot, it's win/win.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Well dang so it would confuse many of you if I asked what kind of coke you want?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • No, that one's easy:

"What kind of coke do you want?"
    "Beer."
    "Oh..."

'Nuff said. Some things transcend pronunciation barriers.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • One more pontoon boat

http://therovingwino.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Redneck-catamaran.jpg

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • And this

http://ididafunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1-redneck-pontoon-boat.jpg

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.