Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle Traveler car with stainless steel rollers???  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• In my experience, the dyneema (e.g., Amsteel) in relatively poor at holding cleats.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhumIn my experience, the dyneema (e.g., Amsteel) in relatively poor at holding cleats.

Yeah that was kind of my afterthought since posting my original idea. I remember the boat used to have a dyneema line holding my Jib blocks in place. the line is so slippery that it would come loose and I would have to tighten it every time I went out.

Then there's the whole issue of it wearing out easily when it rubs against any surface.

I have two booms. One is rigged with a 7/16 mainsheet and the other with something like 3/8th mainsheet. I have been using the one with the smaller mainsheet and using that for the traveler. I guess I'll just continue doing that and see how the lube/sanding works for me. I went to west marine to get 5/16th, but it doesn't look noticeably smaller than the small mainsheet I already have. Not 10 dollars worth of difference, for sure.

--
    Vince
    Houston, TX
    1982 prindle 16 - became a parts boat shortly after purchase. "The Crackling Hullflyer"
    1984 prindle 16 - current boat "Blew By You"
    --
  • ohh...ohh.... and a reminder...when you lube the travelor, BE CAREFUL! the crossbar can be slippery! stepping the mast or leaning on it . don't ask me how I know this... icon_eek icon_eek

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • For what it's worth, I was having problems with my traveler sticking too. I used some paraffin on the track and a little WD=40 on the plastic rollers and now it's working just fine... Hope this doesn't come to late to help you out.

--
    Mike
    1975 Prindle restoration project "Sanchah"
    Retired Teacher
    Newbie Sailor
    --
  • Everyone had excellent advise. I ended up combining a few suggestions and the result was zero issues with my traveler sticking. I wet sanded th track with 200, 400 and then 800 grit sandpaper.(bought a kit from auto zone for five bucks) then I tried finding parafin wax but I was pressed for time, so I just took a 99 cent jesus candle, broke the glass and used that. when I got to th beach I sprayed everything down with silicone. The difference is like night and day.

--
    Vince
    Houston, TX
    1982 prindle 16 - became a parts boat shortly after purchase. "The Crackling Hullflyer"
    1984 prindle 16 - current boat "Blew By You"
    --
  • I lost one of the plastic rollers on the traveler car last summer in heavy wind on lake Huron. It pretty much exploded and the traveler got real ornery. I had good sailing days ahead and needed to rig some sort of fix (without removing the traveler car). I finally settled on a length of 12 gauge solid copper wire removed from a scrap of Romex. Using two pairs of needle nose pliers I was able to wind the copper wire several times around the vacated axle forming a roller from the copper wire. It works perfectly. I works better than the traveler worked when I bought the boat used 6 years ago, as it managed to take up some of the slack from the collective roller wear. When I found that Murray's wants $80.00 for a new traveler I thought about the hassle of drilling out the end cap rivets and redoing them and decided to leave the copper wire roller in place. The copper is softer than the aluminum traveler track, so It isn't wearing the track. I also grabbed a candle and waxed the track thoroughly. Works better now than before the plastic roller went AWOL.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.