Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib Control  Bottom

• Am a NUBIE. Hate asking a question like this but I am really confused. Sailing a '82 Hobie 16. I'm not sure which line to use to pull in or let the jib out. For example, say I on a port tack ( the jib is bellowing out to the right ) should I be controling the in and out function with the line on the port side or the line on the starboard side?

One other thing, I noticed that when I going along fairly fast that I have to keep the rudders turned slightly to keep the boat going straight. It seems to me that in videos Iv'e seen, the rudders look straight. Sure appreciate someone coming to my rescue before I drive myself nuts.

Edited by catman42 on Aug 25, 2013 - 02:56 PM.
  • catman42For example, say I on a port tack ( the jib is bellowing out to the right ) should I be controlling the in and out function with the line on the port side or the line on the starboard side?

Starboard. The windward sheet is the lazy sheet and should be loose.

catman42One other thing, I noticed that when I going along fairly fast that I have to keep the rudders turned slightly to keep the boat going straight.

Could be a lot of things, rudders not locking down, rudder alignment, rudder rake, weight balance, or sail trim and any combination.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFS6pvYx24G0d2njSnXQt1t7o6vNbEoTmoc2VvfkxF8skA8DR3

So you're on a beam reach, heading right as in above diagram, you're sitting on the port hull, the jib blocks that control the jib are always opposite to you, in this case the starboard blocks. Stands to reason, the main sail is out to starboard, the jib is out to starboard, the starboard blocks are pulling the jib clew tight, the line for the jib blocks control crosses over the tramp to the port side where you are sitting.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76594&g2_serialNumber=3

In this pic, you are sitting on the port hull, the blue jib control line you would use to control the jib would be to the starboard blocks, the port block control line is loose
  • QuoteOne other thing, I noticed that when I going along fairly fast that I have to keep the rudders turned slightly to keep the boat going straight. It seems to me that in videos Iv'e seen, the rudders look straight.

This article may explain what you are experiencing. Many H16 racer use extreme mast rake. This shifts the center of the sails aft, which is called Weather Helm. You will be block-to-block going up the wind. This helps to point higher, but you will need to compensate with your rudders.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ther-helm?Article15.html

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Just want to say thank you to nacra 55, the-renovator, and jackb.all of whom were very helpful with their replies. I love this website. Thanks again guys. Mike

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.