Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Extreme Windward  Bottom

• Am very new to sailing a '82 Hobbie 16 and for the first attempt at it I discovered that I can hardley get it to come about. It goes into the wind really easy and is a bear to get going again. I am sailing alone and using only the main sail cause I haven't figured out how to sail with the jib yet and especially single handed. The mast is raked back and the forestay is non-adjustable.

My question is, am I experencing this problem because of not using the jib or do I need to purchase a forestay adjuster to be able to adjust the rake forward? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Welcome to beachcats!

Less rake would help, but it not necessary

the jib would help alot. you could get pointed upwind and then backwind the jib to force the boat around.

more importantly, watch the water. when you begin moving backwards turn the rudders the other way. keep you mainsheet loose enough to get you past 45 degrees, then straighten the rudders and pull in the main to move forward again. it is good to know all the ways to tack in case you ever overload your boat with people in heavy wind and waves. (that kind of stuff happens too)

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • When you're ready to tack:
    1) Get some speed going into it.
    2) Release the mainsheet a couple feet as you come head-to-wind. Don't sheet in until you're definitely moving well on the next tack.
    3) Backwind the jib - don't release the windward jib sheet until you're past head to wind.
    4) You can also temporarily get the weight back as you come through the wind so the front half of the hulls are out of the water.

That being said, we all screw up - especially tough in the waves. Tacking an H16 is not super easy, but once you get used to it, it should become second nature.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • catman42Am very new to sailing a '82 Hobbie 16 and for the first attempt at it I discovered that I can hardley get it to come about. It goes into the wind really easy and is a bear to get going again. I am sailing alone and using only the main sail cause I haven't figured out how to sail with the jib yet and especially single handed. The mast is raked back and the forestay is non-adjustable.

My question is, am I experencing this problem because of not using the jib or do I need to purchase a forestay adjuster to be able to adjust the rake forward? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TheBeachcats!

Yes, a lot of your problem is because you aren't using the jib. The boat was designed to sail with a jib, in fact without the jib you are actually sailing without a fore-stay since it is built into the jib. And without the jib halyard you have no way of tightening the rig.

Put the jib on, then follow the advice above.

Read this article to better understand what's involved.
    Roll Tacking Your Beach Catamaran Sailboat

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thank you guys for your feedback. I will just do it and put the jib on and go for it. I am glad that changing the rake was not mentioned by anyone.This brings me to another question that I haven't been able to find the answer to. How tight should the side shrouds be? Someone mentioned to me that there should be some give in them and that too tight will cause damage. So how much is too tight or too loose?
  • I crank my jib halyard as tight as I can get it utilizing the cheek block to tension it up. It still loosens a little once underway, but it keeps the mast from flopping all around when a powerboat crosses your path leaving a 3' wake for you to battle through - its not as bad I you're going 10+ mph but in light wind, loose shrouds let the mast whip all over.
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Regarding the rig tension, I think catman42 could be asking about tension when sitting on the trailer or when underway.

On the trailer, I see recommendations to tighten the rig by having a helper hang on the trap line, in order to pull the mast to that side allowing you to move the shroud thimble one more hole down on the chain plate. Repeat on the other side.
    Does everyone do this?
    Is there a concern about the mast jerking the shrouds and forestay if left loose?
    OR Any concern about having too much tension?

When underway, I tension the halyard as much as I can as fxloop states. My boat has an Aussie rig, which gets good purchase. Due to my area having rain for the last 8 months (dang global warming!) I have not had the boat out enough times in high wind to check if the lee shroud slackens though. I will check next time, or move to Seattle.

Regards,

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • QuoteOn the trailer, I see recommendations to tighten the rig by having a helper hang on the trap line, in order to pull the mast to that side allowing you to move the shroud thimble one more hole down on the chain plate. Repeat on the other side.
    Does everyone do this?

Not on a stock Hobie 16 but most other boats. A H16 has loose standing rigging but running rigging, set by the jib tension, should be tight. On a H16 if you don't rig the jib, you can't get the rig tight.

Rake, the fore and aft setting of the mast, is set by where the shrouds are pinned.

Rig tension is how tight the fore stay is set. Most boats, excluding a H16, don't have two fore stays. So, the we do use the method you stated above.

Even with a tight rig, the leeward shroud will go slack. It's when the windward shroud goes slack that you have a problem.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Remember to steer all the way thru the tack. You can either let the hotstick drag behind he boat and steer using the tiller cross bar or learn to pass the hotstick around the mainsheet blocks while continuing to steer thru the tack. Do not put the rudders hard over that will just stall the boat and put you in irons(head to wind with no headway). Steer and nice smooth arch all the way thru the turn.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.