Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rudder kick up tension  Bottom

• Hi,

I have 1984 Hobie with rudder upgrade. One rudder kicks up at speed. I tightened adjusting screw all the way down and replaced the spring. The black plastic cam does not show signs of wear compared to the other one and the aluminum adjusting piece is in the same position as the other one. Any suggestions?

Lucydog11
  • Possibly hole alignment in the rudders, did you re drill after the adjustable rudder castings were installed. The holes are slightly different.
  • lucydog11Hi,

I have 1984 Hobie with rudder upgrade.

lucydog11, just to be sure, which model are we talking about? Hobie 16 or 18? If it's an 18 did you buy and install the whole upgrade kit from Hobie or piece it together?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks,

It is an 18. I did not install the upgrade. The rudders are black and only have one set of holes in them. I wrote the post after screwing the adjusting the delrin screw all the way in, one rudder still seemed to kick up easier than the other when I tested it manually in my garage. However I have just done the tension test with a scale and one kicks up at 22 lbs. and the other at 18 lbs. so by dialing the delrin screw all the way in, I may have improved it but I don't have the original reference point to compare to unless I unwind the delrin screw and re-test with the scale or do an in water sailing test. I also read David Hall's article "Towards the No Slop Rudder" and I will see if any of his suggestions fit. I'm also going to make sure the rudder locking plate is snug against the rudder cam lip. The good rudder has a nice solid click in while the other one is not so much.

Lucydog11
  • close enough
    QuoteHowever I have just done the tension test with a scale and one kicks up at 22 lbs. and the other at 18 lbs.

also silicone spray (lube) is your friend and will make a huge difference with sticking rudders - i spray mine every time i rig

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.