Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 Jib halyard brummel hooks?  Bottom

• Hello again,
    Latest report on the 1975 Prindle 16 restoration and another question...
    My son and I took "Sanchah" out a week ago to Woodward Reservoir (near Oakdale, CA). Had a blast! Managed to improve our tacking, jibing, reaching, etc... Actually got out on the trapeze for a while. Had some issues with the mast not wanting to rotate, but I think we've got that figured out. Put some paraffin on the mast base ball and on the mast base... Seems to rotate fine now... Also may have had the rig too tight... We'll see on Wednesday when we go out again. Also had an issue with the traveler getting stuck and not wanting to move... Not sure if we have that figured out or not... Waxed the track and put some WD40 on the rollers... Hope that takes care of that issue. The traveler is old (read "really old".)

Now for the question... Is there any particular reason to buy brummel hooks to connect the two halves of the jib halyard? I tied them together with a sheet bend and they work just fine... I can't figure out any reason to spend more money on brummel hooks/sister clips unless I have to... Of course, it's possible that I'm headed for disaster and just don't know it... So if anybody knows a really good reason to buy the brummel hooks, please let me know.

Thanks in advance... icon_cool

--
    Mike
    1975 Prindle restoration project "Sanchah"
    Retired Teacher
    Newbie Sailor
    --
  • When tacking, just after you come head to wind, unsheet the main a few feet and recleat. That will allow the mast to rotate a bit easier. When adjusting the traveler, also unsheet a bit to allow the traveler to move easier. When trying to set the traveler out and not unsheeting a little you put more tension on it. If you had a radius traveler this would not happen, but only a very few boats have this feature.
  • You will have trouble with a knotted jib halyard going thru the luff sleeve (you are putting the halyard inside the sleeve as you zip?) and thats why sister clips used ($6/pr). Many older Prindle traveler cars with plastic rollers are losing rollers now and sticking. Order the newer traveler car (56-3010 $80) with stainless steel rollers. I usually cut top inch off crossbar endcap (you could remove it), remove bolt & replace car. I also usually have to countersink more the inside slotted bolt to give car proper clearance. You have a very good starter boat; worth putting in a little money to make it work. When wind is over 15, bleed off traveler 6" to a foot and sheet in hard. Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.