Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Intensity Sails - any good?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi,

Looking for a replacement H16 jib and Intensity Sails have a great deal on them for $199 (+Shipping) for 5.9oz (that seems very heavy material to me), does anyone have any experience with them? I am not a hard core racer just mess about on my old H16 but here in Australia second hand sails are hard to find, and its going to cost about $80 to ship one in from the US so figure might as well spend $200 on a new one vs $100 on a used one, but cant find any mention of people using Intensity Sails.

Thanks
    Anthony
  • used them to buy a harness . Waited a bit due to it being on backorder , but they kept me informed of shipping date and was received with no issues. They did offer to cancel the order at any time if delay continued . Seemed very honest to deal with and had the best price by far.
  • Though not cats, we launch these off a beach!
    #14 in this Force 5 image is an Intensity, #2098 is class legal Cullen Sailworks sail. It isn't my sail, but I have used it a few times. You can see the geometry isn't quite the same, but its a fine sail.
  • why does the intensity sail main have 2 reefing points?

Edited by optikid on Aug 05, 2013 - 08:19 PM.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • What are you looking at?

I dont see any reefing points on either sail

QuoteWhy does the intensity sail have 2 reefing points?

Edited by lovesnumbers on Aug 05, 2013 - 06:39 PM.
  • It looks like you are seeing the telltales locations

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • on the 2 and 3ed panels there are reefing points and on the video on their web site you see them using the bottom ones at one point

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Those sails cannot not reef, at least the ones I've seen. They slide over the mast like a laser sail does. There is a short rig that uses the bottom 2 sections of the mast. If you can find that video, I'd love to see it.
  • http://vimeo.com/64361203
    3:10 its reefed 3:15 you can see the points

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • i get what happened!! sorry i meant the hobie main

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Quotei get what happened!! sorry i meant the hobie main

Oh! now I follow you. Sorry for the confusion. =)
  • optikidhttp://vimeo.com/64361203
    3:10 its reefed 3:15 you can see the points

That was confusing, I thought you meant the Force 5 sail also.

The reason the Hobie sail in the video has reef points is that reefing is a race requirement for the Everglades Challenge where the video was made.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • But what is the second row of reef points for? Its on the pics on their website to

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • for when the wind goes from really bad to insanely bad. Last year's Everglades Challenge kickoff (@ fort desoto) was a 30 knot run (all downwind)

at least 1/2 dozen time we have been camping on the spoil islands, and sunday morning it's blowin 25+.
    not so fun sailing home with a full tramp stuffed with camping gear (and a dog in my case).

I have sailed jib only, and bare pole only several times. a small storm main would have been nice

optikidBut what is the second row of reef points for? Its on the pics on their website to
  • So would you tie it to the cleat for the second one?

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • optikidBut what is the second row of reef points for? Its on the pics on their website to

I doubt the reef points are standard on the Intensity H16 sail.

That particular Hobie 16 sail in the video is the same boat in this picture.
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-32154317745271_2273_8668899

and has had the two reef points added to meet the WaterTribe Reefing Rule which states.

QuoteReefing Rule for ALL Class 3, 4, 5, and 6 Boats: All sailing classes must have a safe and efficient reefing, furling, or recovery system for all sails. You must know how to use your reefing system and it must be fully rigged and ready to go before you launch. If there is a small craft advisory at the time of launch and you don't have all reefs in your sail, you will be immediately DQed.

Reefing is highly recommended but not required for standing sails less than or equal to 12 sqft.

At least one reef point is required for standing sails less than or equal to 36 sqft. Having two reef points is highly recommended for these sails.

At least two reef points is required for any standing sail greater than 36 sqft.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • that makes sense.. so if you have a new boat the hobie sails wouldn't work

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • you can add grommets and make it reef-able

optikidthat makes sense.. so if you have a new boat the hobie sails wouldn't work
  • Do the stock Hobie sails come with reef points? I don't see them in the pictures, and my sail set (early to mid 2000s old) does not have them. My sails from 30+ years ago did.

How many racers have reefing grommets on their sails, or is that not a widely adopted rule (bad for traveling racers)?

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.