Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advice: New main sail for Hobie 21SE  Bottom

• Looking for advice on who can build a good durable square top Dacron main for my H21 SE
    I have looked at WhirlWind, just looking for other options.
    Rick Dougal

--
    Rick Dougal
    H21SE
    H18SX
    Port Orange, Fl
    --
  • SLO Sails, San Luis obis po, ca
    Saber sails, ft Walton bch, fl
    Smyth sails

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Call Skip Elliot here:
    http://www.epsails.com/
    He has been a sailmaker for three decades and has made factory sails for most of the major cats.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteI have looked at WhirlWind

+1 for Chip of the WhirlWindSails. Get a Pentex square-head, they are awesome (see my boat to the left). I got trampolines from SLO, but no sails. You should see a lot of Elliot and Smyth sails out there, so both should be good bet. I would stay away from other new discount web based stores, unless you hear a lot of good feedback.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • I got a jib and tramp from SLO and its nice. Just making sure I get this one right.
    Can you make a Dacron sail in a square top? I was told you cant but don't believe it.
    Thanks for the imput

--
    Rick Dougal
    H21SE
    H18SX
    Port Orange, Fl
    --
  • sure you can, it's just not optimal.
    we used to take tornado pin top dacron sails and cut 1' off the top to fit our boats.. .and turn it into a square top. they worked, but cant touch a modern sail.

dacron stretches over time ... and the sails become "fuller" - not good for pointing or heavy air

most modern sails don't stretch (much), but the film will (a little) degrade over time (exacerbated by use, uv, poor handling /storage) and simply fail (rip)... where dacron will typically just keep stretching and losing shape (unless it comes in contact with something that causes a tear)

QuoteCan you make a Dacron sail in a square top? I was told you cant but don't believe it.
  • I have a mylar jib and keep it on a roller furl it is starting to crease and delam I guess being rolled up and I do have a jib snorkle. Is dacron a better material for being rolled up? Not as stiff as mylar or pentax?
  • Quote Is dacron a better material for being rolled up? Not as stiff as mylar or pentax?

Pentex is roughly twice as stiff as Dacron and stretches less over time. This is why it is a superior material for performance sails and square heads in particular. Dacron is is less expensive and more forgiving for abuse, and therefore a king of recreational sailing. You always have to roll a Pentex sail and must not to wrinkle it. I would use Dacron for a roller jib.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • How old is the sail? - older mylar delams (serperation of the layers), most newer stuff simply fails

even with little use, an older mylar sail will delam.

Rolling a jib tightly is VERY tough on mylar (and even tough on dacron, but the mylar will show it first)

QuoteI have a mylar jib and keep it on a roller furl it is starting to crease and delam I guess being rolled up and I do have a jib snorkle.
  • Surprised that Whirlwind never came up in conversation. Over the weekend a very fast sailor at are club had allot to say about Chip at WW sails. It was all good!!!! Then I got an email for a sailor in Ca, He is the one who wrought a testimonial on WW site. I did a search on the net with only his name, so I emailed him. He got back to me and said allot of good things. And cost is good.
    Think that's the direction.

--
    Rick Dougal
    H21SE
    H18SX
    Port Orange, Fl
    --
  • Hey Rick I had great luck with an EP Elliot pattison.jib that he made a couple years ago. very nice and fast. I am looking at having a new main sail built during the winter and will most likely have him make up a pentax main. He was great to deal with and spent lots of time on the phone to answer questions I had. I sent my main out to him and he installed a new bolt rope and a few repairs last year mid season and he took great care of me. We race the boat here locally and have been doing very well with firsts and seconds so we want to stay competative and fast.
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • I do have sails from whirlwind for my 21 se. Sails look and perform great like I posted above the jib is starting to show its age but it is left out in the elements. I'm guessing my sails are about 5 years old and prob order another jib this winter from chip. Very pleased with quality of sails. A local sailmaker where I live told me that colored sails tend to break down faster than white sails? Ask chip if that's true. Darker sails absorb heat which breaks down glue icon_confused
  • probably because you stated you already looked into them
    "I have looked at WhirlWind, just looking for other options."

QuoteSurprised that Whirlwind never came up in conversation. Over the weekend a very fast sailor at are club had allot to say about Chip at WW sails. It was all good!!!!
  • you would think so, but it's just the opposite.
    modern sails have much better UV stabilizers.

QuoteI live told me that colored sails tend to break down faster than white sails? Ask chip if that's true. Darker sails absorb heat which breaks down glue

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.