Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 main...Will it fit my Prindle 16?  Bottom

• Hi all. My name is Paul and I am based on Lake Tahoe for the summer months. . I have recently purchased a Prindle 16 but need some running repairs to the luff of the main. I wondered if anyone knows whether a Hobie 16 main would fit the Prindle in the meantime? Many thanks.
  • yes.
  • Check classifieds, I have several P-16 mains for sale. Pete 909-800-5237
  • tahoepaulI wondered if anyone knows whether a Hobie 16 main would fit the Prindle in the meantime?

On a scale from a piece of plywood to a new Prindle sail, the hobie sail would be right in the middle.
    It is cut for a different boat, expects to be attached to the entire length of a Hobie boom and needs the halyard to be tied to a cleat on the mast.
    If it is free, go for it.
    If not, call Pete:

pbegelCheck classifieds, I have several P-16 mains for sale. Pete 909-800-5237

Edited by klozhald on Jul 31, 2013 - 12:47 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The H16 main will not fit the P16, The luff of both sails may be the same but that's it, the H16 has 218 sq ft of sail area and the P16 has only 189 sq ft, the difference is in the foot of the sail, the H16 main sail has a longer foot. The H16 has a fixed foot sail meaning that you slide the bolt rope in the foot of the sail into a sail track (curf) on the boom, the P16 has a loose foot sail, it only attaches to the boom at the outhaul car on the rear of the boom.

http://sailboatdata.com/v…record.asp?class_id=3860

http://sailboatdata.com/v…record.asp?class_id=3852

To make the H16 main fit, you would have to take a dremel to the boom to route out a larger opening on the sail track at the front of the boom to slide the foot of the H16 sail into the sail track, but the clew of the H16 sail would stick out past the boom by some 12-18". To attach the H16 sail to the outhaul car you would have to punch a hole through the sail and maybe put a grommet

How do I know this? When I pick up my current P16 it came rigged with a H16 sail as above, a hole has been punched through the sail using a screwdriver, the seller forgot to mention this when he sold me the boat. Always, always, roll out the sails when buying a used boat, worked out great for me, sold my H16 sails for $200 and found some awesome Randy Smyth P16 sails on CL for $200.

If you can borrow a H16 boom to go with the H16 main sail, that should work, as long as you can get the gooseneck on the H16 boom to fit the sail track on the P16 mast, will give you almost 30 sq ft of extra sail area, will make your P16 a rocket......... icon_evil oh yeah!
  • so what if you use a hobie 16 mast boom and sail?

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • optikidso what if you use a hobie 16 mast boom and sail?

That would be a lot of work- and expensive.
    You'd need custom standing rigging, including the hobie jib fittings on the forestay.
    Mast, boom and sails, even used= $$$
    Custom rigging= $$$
    Time and effort getting your FrankenCat to sail includes altering the rudder system for the dramatic change in center of effort location on your sails= lots

Buying used P 16 sails instead of all this= sweet

Edited by klozhald on Aug 01, 2013 - 06:13 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.