Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 Front trampoline - Is it possible?  Bottom

• Hi All,

I have limited experience modifying sailboats, but I can sail them okay. Lakes and the like. San Diego Bay is a favorite. I would like to add a front trampoline to a completely stock, pre-1985 Hobie 16 (not sure of exact year). Any ideas on who makes one, who can custom-fab one, or how I would buy a main tramp and butcher the sh** out of it to make it work up front?

Cole

--
    Cole
    DTLA
    '81 H16 Project to Catalina
    --
  • I dont think the 16 would have enough front hull volume to carry anyone around up there. It would be just constantly digging in. I wouldn't bother, I would instead buy a cat that already has this feature like a gcat, or the Hobie Getaway.

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • coleinthetubeI would like to add a front trampoline to a completely stock, pre-1985 Hobie 16

Don't put any effort into this.
    You will not be happy with the results on a H 16.
    The smallest wave/wake will swamp the front net and its contents, over and over again.
    Someone in the local fleet tried it years ago.
    Once.
    Save the idea for when you have a cat with more buoyancy up front.
    Quite a few folks here have tried in on Hobie 18, Prindles and Nacras.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • coleinthetubeI would like to add a front trampoline to a completely stock, pre-1985 Hobie 16 (not sure of exact year).

Cole, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

Anything is possible, but like mryella mentioned the Hobie 16 is probably not the best candidate for a front tramp. Question though, why do you want one? To carry people or cargo?

I've seen front tramps added to many beachcats that didn't come with them, but rarely are they strong enough for adults to get on. One exception is a friend that added a really well done front tramp to his Prindle 18.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Linkous!

I am looking to use it for cargo. If I can custom build the frame that would hold it: I could make it do two key things:

1. Stiffen the boat up. The flex incurred by my weight is usually dealt with via that dolphin striker stiffening bar on these boats, but since I am doing the fab' work up there anyway, why not make it a structural credit instead of a debit, you know?

2. suspend the custom trap 6-8 inches higher than what the rest of the forum is assuming I would have. If I bury the leeward hull that deep, I'm going cartwheeling anyway, right?

Downsides I see ahead of time:

I'm adding weight, and forward weight at that. I plan to mostly sail this thing solo, so I am already saving ~120lbs minimum. Screw it!

I lose the option of installing a spinnaker, which would limit my sailing efficiency on a route where it really counts, like say, from Long Beach CA to Catalina Island.

I am making a custom alteration to a boat that, if it goes wrong, will be harder to sell for a healthy H18 or the like.

Any advice, even from trolls, will be appreciated.

Cole
  • Having pitch-poled a H16 more times in one day than anyone would want to in a life time, I will say this. I would look for a different boat with more hull volume.

The 120lbs you are saving is supposed to be behind the mast - I would think placing that weight forward would be more like 60-75lbs of usable less the weight of the hardware added.

As far as adding a chute - the forward structure could actually help in that matter - a solid mount for a spin pole but you would want to be careful about the tendency when sailing to step on anything that is not water Sudden weight shift to forward half of the boat may not be a good thing.

What about looking for a G-cat 5.8? tramp is already there and they seem to be good solid boats ...

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Yeah the H16 is NOT the boat you want to do this for. You already have to practically trap off the transoms to keep the bows up, you don't want any more weight up front than is absolutely necessary.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • If anyone has any photos of homemade front tramps that have worked out I would love to take a look. Never really seen it done well. Saw a prindle 18 with a nice one, but the owner said he didn't like it in anything other than flat water.
  • if you really want to do it i would attach the back part of the net to the front beam then fashion some support on the front like these seen on the seaspray
    http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1627/j406.jpg
    After you've added those you should be able to extrude it higher off the deck and tie back each side to the front beam.

Edited by mryella on Jul 25, 2013 - 12:09 PM.

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. I will post what I make if it's anything worth being proud of, or if its such a disaster that it becomes humorous.

--
    Cole
    DTLA
    '81 H16 Project to Catalina
    --
  • Cusom made front tramp ($360) made by SUNRISE YACHT PRODUCTS - http://www.multihullnets.com/
    has anchor pocket with bungee closing, righting bag pocket below (with double Velcro flap).
    I had access ports and added 1 eyestrap to each hull to attach this. it sits above my spin pole.

Currently hanging in the garage. too heavy... - might put it back on this weekend to get the anchor out of my tramp pocket

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs192.snc1/6455_110056443601_530203601_2268859_1357311_n.jpg

Before this i had a used gcat tramp cut to a similar size... it was craptastic

For your H16 - not good in waves, or heavy air. you don't need more ways to flip that cat - Many have tried, all have failed. you MIGHT get away with some type of net that holds an ancor and cooler (things that can get wet) but using a solid cloth is asking to go swimming (and worse, get in real trouble in heavy air)

Quotef anyone has any photos of homemade front tramps that have worked out I would love to take a look. Never really seen it done well. Saw a prindle 18 with a nice one, but the owner said he didn't like it in anything other than flat water.
  • coleinthetubeLinkous!

I am looking to use it for cargo. If I can custom build the frame that would hold it:

Cole

Go for it, lets see what you come up with. If you could make an elevated forward platform as high or higher than the tramp frame with the forward end only 1/3 or 1/2 way to bows, then use open netting instead of tramp material, then keep the weight of the cargo down. You might have a chance.

Can't wait to see it. If you cross to the islands with that setup make sure your insurance and Sea Tow membership is paid up. prost

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I have seen them triangular in shape. This would avoid the dig in hazard and still give some storage room. The other posts are correct. Hobie 14&16s are at minimum buoyancy. Any extra weight up front is a liability.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • a triangle will act like a sail, and could / would assist in flipping a cat if it hits on the windward side when healing (or about to flip). that's why i suggested a net (minimal windage)

won't avoid the hazard, but will reduce it ...
    QuoteI have seen them triangular in shape. This would avoid the dig in hazard and

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.