Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Americas Cup Challenger Series  Bottom

• Just watched the latest race between New Zealand and Italy on YouTube. Started out fairly close, a little drama with New Zealand losing their jib early in the race. I won't spoil the ending but NZ is looking very strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxdsAx9SrU

Going downwind NZ was hitting over 38 knots and jibing while staying on the foils. In an earlier race they set an AC72 record going 50.8 mph! Only since 2008 have the all-out speed record boats sailing in flat water in specially prepared trenches broken 50 mph and here a catamaran does it on San Francisco Bay during a race!

When it gets serious imagine crossing tacks with a closing speed approaching 100 mph!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • amazing foil to foil jybe's (even after the drama)
  • Just Awesome!! Those boats are so wide you gotta pack a lunch to make a tack!!

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Lee,
    I have been real curious, whats going on in your avatar? limbo stick? Jin-pole? trebuchet?

Edited by MN3 on Jul 22, 2013 - 07:13 PM.
  • LOL Nothing so dangerous!! Just a sunset pic thru all the crap thats on my Cal 25. To the right side is the Horseshoe holder thingy, moving to the left is the rod holder then the main sheet makes the A and that upright thingy on the left is the VHF antennae. I should prolly look for a more suitable pic for this site since that is on a 'Leaner'

--

--
  • Damon, what a great link! Watched it all. I won't give away what happened.

Forgive a newbie question. Are all of these Round Robin preliminary races to weed out the slowest boats from foreign countries? Then, whatever single boat emerges victorious and wins the Louis Vuitton Challengers Race, that boat then races Larry Ellison and BMW Oracle for the Cup. I thought in the finals that BMW Oracle would be racing several boats at a time, and over many races.

YouTube made it a little confusing, to me at least.

Thanks,
    Bill

--
    Bill
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Redondo Beach, CA
    --
  • The round robin selects the challenger and the Oracle guys will put up a defender. It will be a series of match races for the cup between Spithill and the challenger (Barker).

Team New Zealand (Dean Barker skipper) looks very very good. it will be tough after Sunday to think they will not be the challenger. I have not seen Oracle do a foil to foil jibe so that one fact alone may decide the cup for NZ. If the boat comes off of foils for only a few seconds the other boat on foils will gain 5 boat lengths. If there are 4 jibes down each leg that 50 to 60 boat lengths there is no way to make that up. Even if only half that many it will still be 20 boat lengths. Fun stuff to watch though. Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • PS - The winner of the cup (BMW/ORACLE last time) gets to determine the location, boats and elimination series.

QuoteForgive a newbie question. Are all of these Round Robin preliminary races to weed out the slowest boats from foreign countries?
  • RicardObenThe round robin selects the challenger and the Oracle guys will put up a defender. It will be a series of match races for the cup between Spithill and the challenger (Barker).

Wrong. The round robins are the first of three parts to the Louis Vuitton cup (aka: America's Cup Challenger Series). The round robins will determine placement by points to determine who's in the Louis Vuitton semi-finals (2nd vs. 3rd) and additionally, matches up the semi-finals winner with the RR points leader. New Zealand will likely win the RR on points, which will allow them to compete against the semi-finals winner. New Zealand is not yet the challenger but they are a formidable and solid favorite to be the challenger, but any thing can happen, including rig or platform failure.

Oracle does not put up the defender but GGYC does, as the AC trustee.

You can learn everything you could possibly ever want to know about the 34th America's Cup by looking at my thread here http://www.catsailor.com/…Number=251791#Post251791 which will soon surpass 100,000 views.

This the official site for the 34th America's Cup.
    http://www.americascup.com/

--
    Philip
    --
  • captedteachLee
    On the BIG Lake in MS
    Harstil 31 / Cal 25 / MCScow16 (1 in the water and 1 project) / Gemini 32 / Capri 22

You do realize that there will be a couple of Gemini 32's at Juana's? They usually have crew that wins the "best breast trophy"
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=26966&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Philip
    --
  • Yeah - but mine is a LONG way from being back in the water I may be able to have the Harstil down there next year I'm rebuilding it now

--

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.