Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Two Odd Ball Hobie 18 Questions  Bottom

• 1. Forward on the outside of port hull, beneath the deck edge and attached to it, is an eye strap between the edge and the hull. What is its purpose? May have been one or two further aft, also.

I have looked twice and cannot locate breathing ports, which someone said Hobie forms when making hulls...must be there, but where?

Thanks. I know, dim questions. I have looked hither and yon for answers to no avail.

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --
  • 1. could be an eyestrap for trap line bungees, they run under the lip on the H18.

2. The breather hole is in the top of the hull under the front crossbeam, so you won't see it unless the beam is removed. If you get a hiss of air when opening your drain plugs after sailing your breather tube is stopped up, the hulls aren't supposed to seal air-tight.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Years ago people put tie down straps on the inside lips of the hulls, could that be it? Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • i used to criss-cross bungees and put paddles there on my h18
    could also be part of a righting system
    RicardObenYears ago people put tie down straps on the inside lips of the hulls, could that be it? Ricardo.
  • DamonLinkous... The breather hole is in the top of the hull under the front crossbeam, so you won't see it unless the beam is removed. If you get a hiss of air when opening your drain plugs after sailing your breather tube is stopped up, the hulls aren't supposed to seal air-tight.

Not mean to hijack this thread but do you know if Nacra 5.0 also has breathing holes? Mine hisses when open drain plugs after sailing.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • It's the trap bungee end eyelet, there's one forward and one aft on the outside of each hull. Tie a figure 8 knot in the bungee there and run to the trap eyelet just on either side of the side mast stays and then to the trap line.
  • windadict
    . . . do you know if Nacra 5.0 also has breathing holes? Mine hisses when open drain plugs after sailing.

No to breathing holes and hissing is good thing. Means your hulls are sealed up pretty good.

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummp
    windadict
    . . . do you know if Nacra 5.0 also has breathing holes? Mine hisses when open drain plugs after sailing.

No to breathing holes and hissing is good thing. Means your hulls are sealed up pretty good.

The breathing hole is your port cover. Take a tiny drill bit and put a hole dead center of your ports.
    Changes in pressure are not good.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • nacra55
    mummp
    windadict

The breathing hole is your port cover. Take a tiny drill bit and put a hole dead center of your ports.
    Changes in pressure are not good.

That simple? No valves, no membranes etc preventing water to get in? I suppose don't have to worry about flooding the hulls through that small hole when wave splash over, do I?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.