Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

01 Getaway Surface Cracking, Issue or Not?  Bottom

• A friend of mine is considering buying a 2001 Hobie Getaway. The only concern is that the owner says it has some surface cracking in the plastic around the beams where the wings attach. The owner says he has seen this on other Getaways and doesn't think it is a serious issue but there are also some post about 2001-2002 Getaways that have an issue with cracking due to improperly cross-linked plastic. Does anyone know if this is a concern for this year model or have any info on potential seriousness of this issue?

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Do any of you Getaway owners out there notice any small cracks in the plactic around the end of the beams on your boats? Just trying to understand if this is normal or a concern.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Steve,. u may want to ask this (or search) on the hobie forums as there are 1000's of people with those cats on those forums and Matt Miller (hobie employee) often answers tech questions directly
  • Thanks Andrew. I did do a search on the Hobie forum as you suggest and did find a few post related to this. My friend also called Hobie Tech support and talked to a Hobie rep about this as well. He is going to make the drive to see the boat up close and personal to make the final call. I still would be interested to hear from a few Getaway owners to know if they see any of these cracks in this area on their boats.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • :) -

ps i have heard that it is next to impossible to do repairs on those boats due to the plastics used.
    i find it hard to believe that there isn't some product that would bond to the plastic.... but "shaping, sanding, fairing, painting, blending, etc" may be tough

QuoteThanks Andrew

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.