Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

2013 Sailing Status Update With Video  Bottom

• Hope everyone has had good wind and the water is warming up. While out west is was stupid hot, the jet stream trough that parked itself over Chicago for made for a great sailing month of June.

We had at least 8 days in a row of 20-25 kts. Now... most of the time it was from the North so you had to have your head screwed on straight (or not) to get out through the breakers but once you did, it was fun fun fun.

This was bookend-ed by 20-30 kts from the South which means flat, but gusty conditions here. I edited some of the video footage ...
    http://www.youtube.com/wa…UUQTUPCUyVJ34L7ILTFNt8Kg

The summer doldrums appear to be closing in rapidly and we can hope for some good storms fronts until September when big wind arrives from the north.

Now the damage report ...

I have flipped twice, unharmed. Once on a H-16 (pitch pole bury/overpowered/lost balance/etc.), once on my Nacra/Inter-18 in 25 kts/6 ft waves/rookie crew/just a bit too much too soon/have some humble pie.

One H-18 sunk/abandoned/recovered. Long story. I was not there. Huge day (same day is the video in-fact H-16 w/ green sails). H-18 broke in the H-18 break spot near rear beam, deck pulled away. Hull filled up, they were done. They did the right thing, called the coasties (ON THEIR VHF RADIO THEY HAD ON THEIR PFD), left the boat, it washed up onshore 12 hours later mostly unharmed. She will sail again.

That's it for now and get yourself a fricken VHF RADIO on your PFD.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • nhansonThat's it for now and get yourself a fricken VHF RADIO on your PFD.

Word.

This one should be shipping to me any day now:
    http://www.amazon.com/Uni…FKY&coliid=IYN1B9JYK2MZ9

West Marine sells it under their brand name also. Waterproof, floats and has Emergency Strobe Light.
    Quite a bang for the buck and a small format for carrying on the life vest.

Great vids!
    Well done.

Edited by klozhald on Jul 10, 2013 - 01:03 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.