Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Towing trailer on beach?  Bottom

• Hi,

Can some one give me their experience with towing a cat on a trailer on the beach? Soft sand, I have Hobie 18 and I believe I have 12 inch diameter tires.

Thanks,

LD
  • i pulled my hobie 16 and 18 with a 4 cylinder honda accord without any problems at all
    just drive slow and steady (like in snow)

beach wheels will make getting the boat off the trailer and in the water much easier. without them you have to back your car / trailer into the water . this is not optimal for many reasons
  • Let some air out of your tires before entering the soft sand. I have a 16 and always trailed it onto the beach with no problem. One time, however, I got stuck and finally realized it was because my tires were overinflated. Good luck!
  • Depends on where you are. You're not going to have it that easy in the panhandle of FL, especially without 4WD.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Very important to let air out down to 15-18 #'s if it's soft sand. The Phoenix sailors go 10 miles down beach in Mexico (El Golfo) below Xuma, Az. The little town has a dozen air stations when you return. Pete
  • lucydog11Hi,

Can some one give me their experience with towing a cat on a trailer on the beach? Soft sand, I have Hobie 18 and I believe I have 12 inch diameter tires.

Thanks,

LD

lucydog11, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

Where are you located? As others mentioned, depends a great deal on how soft and deep the sand is. Many areas have reasonably hardpacked sand but in the Florida Panhandle in the sugar soft sand the normal 4.8 inch trailer tires sink down until you are dragging the trailer axel. I nearly burned up the tranny on a 4 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee trying to retrieve my Hobie 18 from in front of a Panama City Beach condo.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for all the responses. I have a Suburban and always put the vehicle tire pressure down to 20 lbs. I am on the Delaware coast. The sand is somewhat soft (4 to 6 inches deep) except below the high water mark but I probably won't go there. The beach is not like say St. Augustine FL with flat hard sand. Do you mean to say to let some air out of the trailer tires too?

LD

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.