Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tri-Point Ocean Race  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Coming up Saturday, August 17, 2013 we have the Tri-Point Ocean Race off the coast of Ventura, California..

This race has been voted (on this site I may ad) as one of the best Mini Ocean Races in the world.. The course is about 34 NM offering beam to broad reaches out around one of the jewels of the Channel Island National Park--- Anacapa Island.. The start will be from Mandalay Buoy offshore, proceed around Platform Gina (could set up for a good spin run) a screaming beam reach out to Anacapa Island, some technical upwind sailing up the back side taking in the wild life, and then leaving then the island to starboard with another screaming beam reach to finish at the Ventura Harbor entrance channel.

NOR and entry forms can be found here:

http://www.pbyc.org/RACING/2013_IS_NORs.pdf

http://www.pbyc.org/RACIN…2013_IS_Entry%20Form.pdf

So far we have 10 beachcats looking to do this race and there is room for more. With a few more entries we'll have the PHRF A & B fleets beat...

If you have a boat and no crew we can help with that as there some experiences ex-owners looking for a ride, and the same if your looking for a ride we'll find ya a boat.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks for posting this John. For those catamaran sailors who are coming please make certain yourr standing rigging is fairly new and in good shape, as well as have a VHS radio. Hope to see the Arizona Gang again this year!!! (Bob Videan, that includes you!!!) Bob Martinez, VSC Multihull Fleet Captain
  • DartmanaThanks for posting this John. For those catamaran sailors who are coming please make certain yourr standing rigging is fairly new and in good shape, as well as have a VHS radio. Hope to see the Arizona Gang again this year!!! (Bob Videan, that includes you!!!) Bob Martinez, VSC Multihull Fleet Captain

For those thinking they may need new rigging, Murray's is just a 20 minute hop up the freeway...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Dartmana(Bob Videan, that includes you!!!)

You know how old my rigging is- I had it shipped to your house!
    We may need a launch schedule to get a dozen cats off the dock on race day.
    I'm not gonna be late again!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Bob K, can you email me, have some questions. Pete pbegle@charter.net
  • Pete,
    email sent.
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Don't forget, that race that was voted here as one of the best is coming up this weekend...

PM me if you need logistical help..

Oh! Don't forget the traditional Carrow's breakfast meeting..

See you next week

Edited by JohnES on Aug 09, 2013 - 04:40 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Oh how I want to make this race. But I have two oil tankers sitting off New Orleans and they tell me I have to be on the first at 05:30 on the 18th to sail up the Mississippi. I can only hope they get delayed a day or two and I'll be there! Can you register the day of or day before?

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
    Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • We tuned the P-18-2 today, loaded it on the trailer ready to head up on Friday. Pete
  • We will see you there Pete!
  • nacraflyerOh how I want to make this race. But I have two oil tankers sitting off New Orleans and they tell me I have to be on the first at 05:30 on the 18th to sail up the Mississippi. I can only hope they get delayed a day or two and I'll be there! Can you register the day of or day before?

You can register that day

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • pbegleWe tuned the P-18-2 today, loaded it on the trailer ready to head up on Friday. Pete

Pete....look forward to meeting you in person.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Race report to follow... the abstract is:

AWESOME wind that provided for some some kick ass rides...
    Largest class for the Race - 10 boats..
    Miles of smiles from all the racers.

Had sailors as far as Texas and Arizona making the event...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Toughest race I've ever done except for '73 Hobie Nationals. We swore we'd never do it again while out there, but we're already planning for next year. Not only because of the firehose in the face 10 miles out to the island, but the hairy 15 mile reach home with 4-5' seas & 20-25 kns wind, but for the great group of sailors who came & well organized yacht club host. This should be a must for Ca, NV, & AZ 18-20' sailors (who are in good shape!). Pete
  • 7th Annual Trash Talk Beachcat Breakfast

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q71/s720x720/534953_10201399200114779_137225864_n.jpg

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • pbegleToughest race I've ever done except for '73 Hobie Nationals. We swore we'd never do it again while out there, but we're already planning for next year. Not only because of the firehose in the face 10 miles out to the island, but the hairy 15 mile reach home with 4-5' seas & 20-25 kns wind, but for the great group of sailors who came & well organized yacht club host. This should be a must for Ca, NV, & AZ 18-20' sailors (who are in good shape!). Pete

Pete..first and foremost, thanks for coming up.. It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person and glad to hear you had a great time..

As for the wind, yes, it was gnarly this year. Hell I pitch polled twice.. That will teach me to sail with a light crew!!!!! We had a few peak gust at 27 kts (17 MPH..) but on average we were at 10 MPH for the race with the exception of the backside of Anacapa...

Next year, you ought to bring the Marstrom if you still have it, and your also going to be a guest @ Casa Schwartz.... the only five star resort in Ventura...

Edited by JohnES on Aug 19, 2013 - 08:05 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • You hear that, guys? This is the caliber of the guys that raced the Tripoint. Not to mention 18 year old David who drove 22 of the 26 hours from Galveston to bring Lee's boat. Or Michelle, total rookie crew, who stuck with her guy thruout the reach home, but wouldn't unclaw her hands from the rail to show him the compass heading home, or Julieann who suited up despite her medical condition as if "I do this every day". Yes, we'll be back! By the way, John, the conversion is knots x 1.15, so your gust was 31mph--normal pitchpole conditions! Pete

Edited by pbegle on Aug 19, 2013 - 09:39 PM.
  • pbegleYou hear that, guys? This is the caliber of the guys that raced the Tripoint. Not to mention 18 year old David who drove 22 of the 26 hours from Galveston to bring Lee's boat. Or Michelle, total rookie crew, who stuck with her guy thruout the reach home, but wouldn't unclaw her hands from the rail to show him the compass heading home, or Julieann who suited up despite her medical condition as if "I do this every day". Yes, we'll be back! By the way, John, the conversion is knots x 1.15, so your gust was 31mph--normal pitchpole conditions! PeteEdited by pbegle on Aug 19, 2013 - 09:39 PM.

Thanks..... I did the Km/h conversion. Always get those two mixed up

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • pbegelbut the hairy 15 mile reach home with 4-5' seas & 20-25 kns wind,

Cutter and I averaged 14.8 knots on the long reach back to shore, with a peak speed of 16.8.
    Considering that we chased you the entire run, you did the same.
    You had Martinez on the ropes when the pitchpole happened, and I completely understand you taking that risk.
    Driving hard and low in the bow to keep those transoms outta the water on your Two just mighta done the trick.
    Good racing with you, Pete, and nice to finally meet you. I have appreciated your sage advice here for a couple of years.
    Looking forward to next year. Martinez says he will be sailing his Two too!
    It could be a Prindle shoot-out!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Bill Gibbs, owner of Afterburner, posted this on the local ORCA bb:

August 17 is one of my favorite Ventura area races, the Tri-Point race, hosted by PBYC (www.pbyc.org)
    There will be a beach cat class with chase boat for our little cousins.
    It’s a 34 mile course, not so long. 8:30 AM skippers meeting, 11:00 AM start.
    Beautiful scenery around the island, the arch, lots of wildlife; dolphin, sea lions, pelicans, and flying fish.
    For those of you with slower boats, the wind usually builds after the faster boats finish, improving your chances of a handicap victory.
    For those of you with faster boats, you’ll be having so much fun that you won’t mind.
    The long reaches are thrilling if the wind’s up.
    After the finish, PBYC offers free hot food to racers, and has cold beer in bottles and on tap at low prices (the $4 huge mug is the best price value). A nice selection of domestic, imported, and craft brands, as well as a full bar.
    It is worth the effort to come up for this race. J
    For Ventura it’s the last great race of summer.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.