Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Juana Good Time Regatta 2013  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• It's still a way off, but Juana's website updated the Regatta info, the registration forms are now available.

http://www.juanaspagodas.com/RegattaNews.htm

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • Just registered online for this years Juana Good Time Regatta!

Info and links in the calendar.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…viewtype/details/eid/618

Who else is in? If you aren't, why not? It's a good time!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I'm in! Will register next couple days
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • My registration is in the mail.....see y'all there!

panic_button: Are you the P16 guy that raced with the youngster for crew last year? If so, that's a good-looking boat, and y'all kicked some butt as I recall!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • I'm in.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Tyler. Can you email me the picture on your avatar. will2002murray@yahoo.com icon_biggrin

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Envious....I hope to be back next year and start doing more sailing (again)....stuck in Guam with boat stored in San Antonio at the moment. I'll be back in April...Navarre is in my neck of the woods....Can I sign up for Sept 14 yet?

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • 27fountainTyler. Can you email me the picture on your avatar. will2002murray@yahoo.com icon_biggrin

Done.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Setup day for me. I thought I was here early and found that three Memphis boats are already on the
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103873&g2_serialNumber=4

7 boats 4 trailers

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Hey Damon and Memphis group,

I hope you all do well and have a great time. Wish we could have made it. On top of scheduling issues my crew (daughter) got a knee injury and will be inactive for a couple weeks anyway.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Looking good Damon!

Please tell me you brought the "Ketchup and Mustard".. ??

Glenn will be there.....
  • robpattLooking good Damon!

Please tell me you brought the "Ketchup and Mustard".. ??

Glenn will be there.....

darn! I knew I forgot something!

Just kidding.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I hope to be heading to Juana's afterwork to setup the cat.

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • Please post pics and give us a report.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • shipchips1Please post pics and give us a report.

Pictures will be coming into the 2013 Juana Good Time album here
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures/?g2_itemId=8619

If you have photos to share from the regatta then please create your own album inside the 2013 album and upload them. Instructions are in the FAQ and a link in my signature below.

It was a great weekend, evidently the Gulf Coast has had a lot of rain this summer, every local mentioned that this was one of the few nice weekends of the season.

GREAT TURNOUT! I haven't received the official sailwave info yet but it was pushing 80 entries across all classes. Best participation in years. Unfortunately the regatta founder and namesake, Juana, couldn't be there do to a death in her family. She was really missed and we were all thinking of her. Luckily others pitched in and shifted regatta jobs around to get everything taken care of.

We had mild temps and fairly light winds, but plenty to do the full distance race on Saturday and two good windward-leeward races on Sunday.

During the distance race on Saturday the winds started very light and it looked like a drifter, we were questioning the wisdom of going all the way down to marker 133 for the spin boats and 131 for the faster non-spin boats, but after the (crazy downwind) start the wind built up and later a large thunderstorm system developed to the north over land bringing quite a bit more wind.

Tyler and crew had an adventure where they broke there main on the downwind distance run but stopped at Key Sailing, rigged a new sail, completed the race, then took two bullets on Sunday to take second place. Hopefully he'll share the details.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkous
    Tyler and crew had an adventure where they broke there main on the downwind distance run but stopped at Key Sailing, rigged a new sail, completed the race, then took two bullets on Sunday to take second place. Hopefully he'll share the details.

Ha, it was Pretty crazy! We decided to go the opposite way of everyone on that crazy start. Everyone stayed along the south side while we Gybed, and headed all the way to the north shore to get into the channel, We knew that the current was at slack tide so looking for the breeze was the best option. We ended up getting into a Sweet double trap spin reach all the way up the north shore and Rounded 3rd, Right behind Kirk Newkirk on the F20 Carbon and that Frankenstein Supercat 22.

According to Newkirk, we were 4 minutes behind him and that is a BIG accomplishment for an F18. Keep in mind, the breeze had picked up to about 13 knots so that boat is fast in that breeze, but from what i've noticed, the f18 is still quicker uphill. We decided to go maybe 1000 feet before tacking after rounding and we were easily taking off from the 2 Nacra 20's that rounded after us(Charlie Harp and Mark smith).

We were powered up with the new longboards and decided it was time to depower, I pulled a bit of cunningham and heard a funny noise and asked Ding "What was that? I know your headplate already ripped out of the sail, maybe we shouldn't stress", He told me, "We don't play that game Haha" So i pulled the SH!T out of it and next thing I know, We get dropped into the water and I look up and the main is Ripped to pieces just above the Third batten. I jump back onto the boat and being the awesome crew I am( icon_lol icon_lol ) Saw Ding hanging upside down and decided I should probably Grab him before he drowned....

So I pulled him onto the boat and we sat down and sat there pissed off for a few minutes before Contemplating finishing the race as is, But we soon realized it was a good idea to drop out, Then Ding had remembered Key sailing(Thanks Laura Muma!!!) had a main that we could probably grab to put up and go finish!!

We headed to key sailing and got on the beach about 30 min after ripping the main, and to the rescue comes Charlie trinque! He says it's just a speed hole and we should be fine. icon_lol icon_rolleyes
    Luckily Laura Pulled up and said we could use her mainsail for the way back! I bet Jill with AHPC had a funny feeling in her stomach when we put that Performance Mainsail on....So we were back underway about an hour and a half after ripping the main and ate a quick lunch and got back on the water, and luckily for us, it was blowing about 15.

We got out on the wire and powered up and headed for Juana's! Luckily it was a Close reach so we made it back in little under an hour, And to our surprise, caught one boat and beat them(WTF moment?).

Buoy races went well, Ding and I stayed in pressure the entire time and had very good tacks/gybes.
    We kept our own with the 20's pulling off 2 bullets for the day, and getting second place overall.
    Would've been first but that distance race screwed us! (Darn you andy!! :P)

Juanas was an amazing regatta as always and i'm proud to say I will be back next year.
    Thanks to everyone who made that regatta possible, and thanks to everyone who competed.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Results
    http://www.juanaspagodas.…%20Regatta%20Results.htm

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Another amazing regatta! The Memphis crew were so generous asking all 12 of us over for a five star meal! Who does that? Seeing old friends and making new ones is the best part of this weekend. Thank you Damon and Jerome for your awesomeness and helping Alex get his boat ready to race, I know he appreciates your generosity. How great was it that he received the Carlton Tucker award from Rick Bennet? Wow! Can't wait till next year. Glenn Tepe

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1978,1978,1979,1982,1986 Hobie 16's
    --
  • Lilly Gastons photos are beautiful! What a sweet young lady, and a very nice family.

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1978,1978,1979,1982,1986 Hobie 16's
    --
  • teperacingLilly Gastons photos are beautiful! What a sweet young lady, and a very nice family.

Second, great shots.
    Thanks for sharing.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.