Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to make your own beach wheels  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• carolinacatamarans - that looks outstanding! I would love a set like that!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Finally picked upwd the project again and got around to weighing all of my trax.

Bacho trax 51lbs
    Cat-trax 37lbs
    Euro-trax 41lbs

All measure on the same scale.

My trax were measured using 24-9.5 treaded ATV tires, I imagine I could drop a few ponds going to smooth tires.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteI've never found the smooth 21x12x8 tires used on the real Cat Trax for sale anywhere.

when in doubt.....look to the heavens.
    http://www.backcountrypil…tires-mounted-today-5102

http://www.highwingllc.com/tires.html
    http://www.highwingllc.com/Images/nancotires.jpg

Edited by arch on Dec 09, 2013 - 09:20 AM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • I followed nacraman's build idea this weekend, I already had a 2" steel pipe as an axle. I ordered:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/…00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/…00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I like amazon's free shipping, especially for bulky items).
    I got two 2" PVC couplings (< $1 each) to cut off the ends as wheel stops, had to re-drill the holes in the flange for the wheels, dremel'd out the stop in the flanges and attached everything with 1/2 inch nuts/bolts/washers.
    All this took less than an hour and went together easily.

Thanks again for the idea to use the flange as a hub.

Michael
  • QuoteWe don't bother with the bolts, just let the tube float.

Pete, can you send me some photos of your rig?
    By "letting it float", do you mean you just insert a piece of tubing into the 2 axles halves & depend on the cradles to keep the halves from wandering outwards?
    We have a homebuilt set for the Nacra's, & I got a double wheeled set with the Mystere 6XL. I'm thinking of dumping them both & just getting a single Cattrax, useable for both boats,(the Mystere came with beams/tramps etc for both the 8'6" width & the 10'wide setup,planning to leave it @ 10')

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Yes exactly as you described. Just put the loose tubing over the cut axle. Our sleeve is quite long and fits the
    original axle very well. Got it from a local metal supplier. The tie ropes at the ends of the axle along with the
    cradles help keep everything from moving. Originally we cross drilled it for an 8 foot boat. We still install
    stainless eyebolts through these holes to tie them to the trailer. By cutting the axle we can split the wheels in two and fit them in a car. Comes in handy sometimes.

On another note my partner in crime came across what looks like a sailcraft Tornado for sale 15 miles from us.
    Gonna have a look tomorrow morning. Might be time to let some Hobies go :)

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Thanks Pete. Despite that SCOC was located, & built Tornado's here for years, I could not find a decent one. Only old woodies, & I would have bought one of those, but the ones I found within 3 hours drive were all beaters/parts boats.
    I ended up buying a 2001 Mystere 6XL with great trailer(I threw an album into Damon's "trailers" album, somebody might get some useful ideas) & all the fittings for both 8'6" boat & 10' beam. It came with a new spinnaker & fittings, though it is a tramp launch. I'm keeping an eye open for a good used SNU.
    Not many Catraxx come up for sale close by. I'd spring for a new set, but we only use them once a year. Having a set that works both boats would be simpler, & the real McCoy are quite a bit lighter than what we made.

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 13, 2013 - 05:57 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Ended up buying a Sailcraft of UK aka Reg White Tornado. Overall in decent shape. It came on an interesting trailer. The hulls sit in cradles on the center of the trailer and there is a wooden storage box along side the port hull. To assemble the boat there are four swing out arms with cradles that hold the hulls so that the cross bars can be bolted on. Kind of a neat design that I have never seen. I will post pics to the trailer
    album when it gets warmer than 12 degrees outside. There is a thread on identifying this boat over on tornadocat.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • QuoteTo assemble the boat there are four swing out arms with cradles that hold the hulls so that the cross bars can be bolted on.

That is exactly the design of the last T that I looked at. The package was only 6' wide for trailering. He claimed he could solo assemble & rig the boat in an hour. That boat is just east of Gananoque, Quebec. After looking at it,(he's down to $1000 CDN) I drove another hour + 30 to see the Mystere 6XL. The mast was pretty dinged, but it would be a good parts boat

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.