Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

gcat 5meter  Bottom

• Hi,I am new at this so please look past my limited knowledge on sail boats.. I got the bug last year while visiting my son in ft myers fl. as we went playing around on a rental hobie 13 - 14 ft. I just purchased a 1986 gcat 5 meter cat last week. my brother and I took it out on a very small lake in middle georgia to check it out. The piont of this is one of the hulls on the top where you would step and sit looks to be giving in. how would I go about repairing this? This cat does not have inspection holes or hatches and I did not see any way to drain water that make its way into the hulls . anyone with knowledge of this cat would be greatly appreaciated.
    Thanks Tim M.
  • Welcome! I have not cut into my G-Cat yet, but I have a hunch that it is foam core. You will need to do the do an epoxy injection with micro bubble filler. There is a photo album of how to go about it. It should not be too bad. I use Raka Epoxy (w/ slow cure hardener). Call them, they are very helpful. It is cheaper than west systems.

I always tell my passengers not to stand in the center of the hulls. Instead walk on the edges.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • i suggest you use your knuckles and knock ALL around the cat and listen for internal bulkheads. take note of where they are on the port hull vs the stbd. if one hull has more than the other there is a good chance your bulkheads have failed and are the root of the soft spots. this should be addressed or hull failure is possible.

or if some bulkheads sound very different than other ones they may have separated internally.

Cutting into your cat to make these repairs is not a huge deal - just time and money
  • I have the same boat - and the exact same issue. Same spot, both hulls. Based on research I have done, I am quite sure that they do not have a foam core. I am planning to cut an access port, and try to rebuild (or create...) bulkheads from the inside.

--
    Luke - Michigan
    G-Cat 5.0
    --
  • Thank you for your replies i will check for bulkhead locations to see if they have seperatd from the hull. I just checked this out and the hull that is giving in has a hollow sound where the good one has a solid sound and this is located at the stay mount location.
    questions....
    when i take the hull off the main beams will the top of the hull seperate from the bottom of the hull, is it epoxied together?

how would they be joined together? are hatches recomended for this cat as they would be nice to have.

I am haveing mats made for it and will be ready in 2 weeks, what type of rope should i use to reattach the mats to hulls?

I know i will have more questions

I do Thank you fellews,

Tim M.

Edited by ntodawind on Jun 25, 2013 - 07:55 PM.
  • Quotewhen i take the hull off the main beams will the top of the hull seperate from the bottom of the hull, is it epoxied together?

how would they be joined together? are hatches recomended for this cat as they would be nice to have.

I am haveing mats made for it and will be ready in 2 weeks, what type of rope should i use to reattach the mats to hulls?

probably glued together, and glassed in around any bulkheads

mat? you mean trampoline? if so, the strongest you can afford with the least amount of stretch. If you can afford good line, i love robline dingy control line. Dynema core with a UV jacket.
  • [quote=MN3]
    Quotewhen i take the hull off the main beams will the top of the hull seperate from the bottom of the hull, is it epoxied together?

i had a '83 g-cat. the hulls are hand-laid fiberglass so there is no foam core. from what i have
    read this means you don't have to worry about de-lamination. the deck is glued to the hull.
    this is their weak spot. the glue becomes brittle with age and the halves can separate. mine
    did on one side but they never came apart.

i installed access ports on both sides. if i remember i put them about a foot forward
    of the middle beam.

the beams are bolted to the hulls. you can take the end cap off the beams and see the bolts.
    the guy that got my boat took it apart because he didn't have a proper cat trailer.

i wish i still had (and had taken better care of) my g-cat.

--
    switched to the dark-side (mutineer 15 mono-hull)

Little Rock Arkansas
    --
  • Quotei wish i still had (and had taken better care of) my g-cat

If you ever come to Mobile, AL you can buy mine. It is an 1984 5.0. 2 sets of sails, galv trailer w/ sail tube. It would run you $1,300.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Its a shame you are so far away. Im looking for a G-cat currently. Im all the way up in STL MO though.
  • potestas, sent you a Private Message (PM)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.