Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mismatched hulls? (Hobie 16)  Bottom

• (New to forum) Hey guys, quick question. I have been looking for my first catamaran, and have decided on the Hobie 16. I am going to see a boat this afternoon that I have previously looked at, but was slightly weary about the fact that the hulls are mismatched. He claims the old hulls were crap, and he replaced them. How big of a deal is this? He has a title for the original boat, but the hull numbers would not match what is on the title. Other than that, the boat is pretty nice.
  • paulg6201(New to forum) Hey guys, quick question. I have been looking for my first catamaran, and have decided on the Hobie 16.

paulg6201,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com, and to catamaran sailing!

The fact that the hulls have been replaced on it's own is not a big deal, it does happen when hulls get damaged. However there may be issues with the title and registration depending on where you live. So neither hull has the number from the title?

As far as checking out this particular boat, pay attention to whether the hulls are "solid" feeling especially on the decks in front of the front beam. Since you know it has been taken apart, inspect carefully the hull-to-pylon connection and pick up on the boat from the corners to see how flexible the whole platform is. (shouldn't be much flex)

I'm sure you'll get more info from the Hobie 16 experts here so let us know how things go. Share where you are located and you might find local help to inspect the boat.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.