Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

From Hobie 16 to a Nacra 5.2  Bottom

• After a never ending battle to get my 81 Hobie 16 optimized (which still wasn't done, is it ever?), I up and sold it to pick up a Nacra 5.2 and now I'm starting over.
    The dagger boards will be a new challenge and it looks like everything is adjustable, she needs some immediate attention before she hits the water in a couple weeks but we are working though that.

There seems to be a lot of 5.2/5.5 guys on here so I'm looking forward to being a part of the that group.

Any advice or input for someone making the switch?

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • As the person who possibly is at least minimally responsible for your acquisition I applaud this move. Dagger boards only take a slight more "planning" when beaching the boat. When I come into shore I think ahead as to what side I will be on... I pull the board and rudder from the side that i wont be occupying.... tack or gybe to set myself up for coming in and being on the side with the board and rudder down. I am somewhat forced to do it this way on the 18sq because of the beam being 11'. The adjustments will all take some time...shroud..forestay...diamonds etc. Get that thing out!

--
    NACRA18SQ
    FREESTYLE 474
    --
  • Awesome! There are lots of threads on the 5.2 so read as much as you can. The 5.2 is quite a bit more complicated to rig than the 16, so the first time or two will be an adventure. Have someone show you if you can. Make sure you double check that everything is put together correctly and works properly before you take it out, tape all of your ring dings with electrical tape. The 5.2 likes a little bit of mast rake but nowhere near as much as the H16. Some people like to rig it so the mast is almost vertical. I like to rake mine so the mast tip is about 2 ft behind the front beam, gives you a bit more control at the rudders, improves tacking a little and lets you drive the bows a bit harder. Otherwise have fun with it! It definitely tacks and jibes better than the H16, better downwind performance and it is very hard to pitchpole. Its a very tunable boat with many options to upgrade and improve. I've probably tweaked mine within and inch of its life so look at my gallery for a few ideas. If you have questions or ideas feel free to ask, one or more of us will definitely help out and can provide sound advice and pros and cons of various things.

Dave.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Jesse you said it well but to rephrase it you are probably most maximally responsible for my acquisition next to me, :), no worries I'm stoked to have it. We are swamped right now so the little bit of work is taking a while but it will be out soon. Hopefully before summer series starts.

Thanks for the input Dave/wolfman I've read quite a few of your posts on the 5.2 already. You'll be one of the first to know if I have a question about something.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.