Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Going to the Keys and would like advice.  Bottom

• I have a H18 and she is in pretty good shape and a crew, the wife and kids, and we are heading down to the keys for vac. I would like some ideas in the best places to put in and things to see, sort of like Indian Key. I have a list of all the public ramps in the keys but was wondering if there are better places.

Thanks,
    David
  • That sounds great. Post that list of ramps. That will probably generate some discussion.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • This is where I found the list of ramps

http://ocean.floridamarin…ys/pages/boat_ramps.html
  • I lived in Key West for a few years after school. Did not do any personal sailing down there (as I just aquired my first cat a week ago), but I did partake in a ton of skin diving, lobstering, and spear fishing up and down the keys. You should check in to Bahia Honda (state park in the keys) Beautiful area, I know you can kayak it and camp it, so I would assume you can sail around it as well. I would recommend sailing around Key West. Maybe put in on the Key West side of Stock Island. Great perspective to see the island from. Keep in mind that the the reef beds along the keys are scattered and water depth changes swiftly when you come up on one! Make sure you take some snorkeling gear on board for any swim stops. Sorry i dont know much about the public ramps to fill you in on, but I am sure you can find one close to any area you want to sail.

--
    Jeff
    G-Cat 5.0
    Charlotte, NC
    --
  • That's a nice little ramp guide. I would be hitting some of those unpaved ramps.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Indian Key ramp will put on the gulf or bay side and you will not fit under the bridges and the current can be quite swift. However that area is my favorite part of the keys and thats coming from a S. Florida local. You will really want to be Ocean side.

Most hotels have boat ramps, I would suggest Breezy Palms (very reasonable, but nice) about a mile from the indian key ramp but ocean side, they have a ramp, small beach and dockage, they may let you beach her for free, so no dockage fee...ask them. Oh if you go after August 15th price will be almost half ;).

link http://www.breezypalms.com/default.html

Be sure to go to Robbies and feed the tarpon by hand. Watch a sunset at Lorelei while snacking on some conch and a tropical drink. Be sure to bring mask and snorkle, fins if you got em. Bring at least one light tackle fishing rod, go to local tackle shop for some lures. One afternoon/evening in Key West is mandatory.

Polarized sunglasses are also mandatory, watch the flats and try not to wade.
  • Oh google dolphin encounter or sumthin like that. Little pricy but a totally awesome experience to pet and swim with dolphin in waist deep water. Wife and kids will luv it and you will be a hero. Forgot exactly where they are located.
  • ki4glxI have a H18 and she is in pretty good shape and a crew, the wife and kids, and we are heading down to the keys for vac. I would like some ideas in the best places to put in and things to see, sort of like Indian Key. I have a list of all the public ramps in the keys but was wondering if there are better places.

Thanks,
    David

Where are you planning to stay?

The Islander is particularly beachcat friendly, they have their own ramp and lots of space to keep the boat mast up ready to launch on the Ocean side. They have so much room it would be worth inquiring if you could pay them to leave the boat even if you aren't staying there. There is a separate water toys operation.

http://www.islanderflorid…ada-water-activities.php

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • freerangejeffI lived in Key West for a few years after school. Did not do any personal sailing down there (as I just aquired my first cat a week ago), but I did partake in a ton of skin diving, lobstering, and spear fishing up and down the keys. You should check in to Bahia Honda (state park in the keys) Beautiful area, I know you can kayak it and camp it, so I would assume you can sail around it as well. I would recommend sailing around Key West. Maybe put in on the Key West side of Stock Island. Great perspective to see the island from. Keep in mind that the the reef beds along the keys are scattered and water depth changes swiftly when you come up on one! Make sure you take some snorkeling gear on board for any swim stops. Sorry i dont know much about the public ramps to fill you in on, but I am sure you can find one close to any area you want to sail.

freerangejeff, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

Thanks for chiming in with some local knowledge, always a big help. Where are you sailing now?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • First let me say thank you for all the great replies! We are staying on Islamorada at the Key motel for 3 nights, and our last couple of nights we are camping at Bahia Honda park. I had read about the current under the bridges and know I will be far enough from the gulf stream for it not to affect me, I also know how sallow it can get cause me and my wife kayaked to Indian Key last year. We will be bringing our snorkeling gear too icon_smile . Is there anything else I might need to be aware of? If anyone lives around there it would be great to sail with another boat, no one around where I live has a cat. Thanks again for all the replies!
  • ki4glxI had read about the current under the bridges and know I will be far enough from the gulf stream for it not to affect me,

Hey ki4glx, just to be clear but I think you got it, the current under or rather thru the bridges is caused by the tides not the gulf stream. You would not hit the gulf stream until you go 3 miles se of indian or Bahia beyond the coral reef drop off >150' depth it begins. Be VERY wary approaching a bridge it can demast you in a heartbeat, trust me I know. lol.

Bring tide tables, basic rule is long bridges with with wide channels are forgiving small bridges with narrow channels are where the current can really rip, like at Robbies, just south of the indian ramp. I was demasted there as a teenager, pop was noone to happy.

Edited by flfingermullet on Jun 20, 2013 - 03:18 AM.
  • Yes that part I got lol but thanks. I would not head out without tide takes, that was a lesson I learned one time at Myrtle beach in the intercostal waterway heading out to the ocean. The tide was coming in and it pushed me poetry far back inland and I had to get towed back to the ramp lol. I had thought about using the ramp in Key west, Simonton Beach ramp, and sailing to either South beach or Smathers beach, anyone know what the currents might be like around there. As we are heading back we also looked at a side trip to Cayo Costa, which it seems would be more forgiving waters.

Thanks,
    David
  • I usually spend 1-2 weeks every year cat sailing in the upper keys.
    Islamorada is nice. Lots of good resturants. A lot of shallows sailing bayside. Oceanside is good sailing but not many places to put in. The Islander has a launch site if you are staying there. You could drive down to the channel five bridge and see if you could find a launch area ocean side or bay side. The channel 5 bridge is easy to sail under.(If there is any wind) or just sail on the bay side. Check out Harry Harris Park. The have a wide ramp and large setup area ocean side. Nice beach but it is enclosed by a stone jetty.
    Some of the best cat sailing is bayside Key Largo. I usually stay at a small(20+ rooms) mom and pop place called Rock Reef resort. They have a small beach to launch and store your cat. They are very cat friendly. Buttonwood bay has many sailboats(next bay east of Rock Reef). A big Wave group races there.
  • I wish I had ask this question before we made reservations, lots of great ideas that will probably cause me to make another trip soon lol. I have been to the keys a couple of times but this is the first bringing the Hobie. I can't wait!!!!! In the way down we are going to try to get in 1 maybe 2 sailing days in between the drive. I have been running her up for 2 Weeks now lol. New 5:1 down haul, new sheets, rudder pins and bushings, newly rigged out haul, and lots of other extras just for this trip to make sure there were no problems.I also finally got around to the gel coat repair where I fixed a small amount of delam. Keep bringing the ideas my plans are changing as they come icon_smile
  • Anyone know about the sailing at John Pennekemp? Would we be able to reach any good snorkeling from there in the Hobie?
  • flfingermulletOh google dolphin encounter or sumthin like that. Little pricy but a totally awesome experience to pet and swim with dolphin in waist deep water. Wife and kids will luv it and you will be a hero. Forgot exactly where they are located.

We took the kids to both of the dolphin programs in Key Largo a few years ago. Epic.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • We are going to check the prices out when we get down there. We are also hoping on sailing to Cayo Costa for a camping trip.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.