TheBeachcats.com

2013 Island Hop Regatta, Ocean Springs, MS  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• July 06-07, 2013

Registration
    https://www.regattanetwor…form.php?regatta_id=6984

Registered
    http://www.regattanetwork…=6984&custom_report_id=2

Edited by nacra55 on Jun 13, 2013 - 01:10 AM.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thank you Ron!!

2013 Island Hop Regatta... July 6&7... a straight shot drag race from the starting line off the beach to beautiful Horn Island... Join in on the island for some fun, eats, drinks, swimming and whatever else pops up; the legends and stories abound. Come to the island and be a part of the history, a part of the tradition! Race two is the run home to OSYC, and race three on Sunday goes around Deer Island. $50 entry includes breakfast both days, a t-shirt, chicken 'n buns lunch on the island, with cold drinks and of course.. three great races.

Camping, hot showers, pool onsite, and drive your trailer right to the water's edge... lots of sand, grass, totally accessible... "IF YOU CAMP" please contact us (fleetcaptain@osyc.com) to help position your camper, tent, etc... We just repaired the sprinkler system and hope to not bust pipes or sprinkler heads!"

Edited by robpatt on Jun 14, 2013 - 05:47 AM.
  • I am in, first time doing this race but if it's anything like S2S, I would suppose nothing but an amazing regatta!

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • TylerHI am in, first time doing this race but if it's anything like S2S, I would suppose nothing but an amazing regatta!

Very similar to Slip To Ship, just Saturday races are to Horn Island instead of Ship Island.

As you can see from the map, the prevailing South winds usually make the trip to Horn Island a close reach, many times it's a one-tack trip. So make sure you don't have a lot of weather helm or your hand could be cramping up by the time you get their!

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102704&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • my bad... dates are July 6&7, what a meathead!

My fav race is Island Hop (often called Horn Island Hop)... cuz that's also where we sail to for weekend camping, day fishing, etc...

Horn and Ship Islands are our Santa Rosa and Okaloosa barrier islands... literally... they're just 10 miles offshore. Which keeps them somewhat remote, a nice getaway location, few tourists and unspoiled...

While we just crash on the beach for an hour or two during the regatta, the island is about 14 miles long. Lots of cross island trails to go around to the Gulf side, a ranger station with fresh water (one of the rangers who lives out there is a Hobie 18 sailor - yeah!) etc.. Horn is rich in local history too as Ocean Springs famous artist "Walter Anderson" used to row out there and stay for days and weeks at a time, doing watercolors and sketches of wildlife and landscapes.

Camping out there is wonderful. You're far away so the sky is amazingly clear, but off a ways in the distance is the "pearl necklace" of lights on the water from the Ocean Springs bridge. Nice stuff.

Edited by robpatt on Jun 14, 2013 - 05:54 AM.
  • In!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • These races are always a blast - Guess I need to hurry up and get a cat back on the water.............

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Damon, Know if any HT sailors are on the forum?

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • TylerHDamon, Know if any HT sailors are on the forum?

I'm pretty sure that there are, at least the Ocean Springs guys. There have been quite a few 18HT's come through the classifieds. Probably flush them out if you start a new topic with 18HT in the title.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkous
    TylerHDamon, Know if any HT sailors are on the forum?

I'm pretty sure that there are, at least the Ocean Springs guys. There have been quite a few 18HT's come through the classifieds. Probably flush them out if you start a new topic with 18HT in the title.

You gonna be doing Island hop this year?

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • I'm registering up, and it is asking for a "class".... I don't have a clue! This will be my first Regatta.

--
    Prindle 18 aka Yellowtail. On the beautiful Mississippi gulf coast. Gautier / Independent Republic of Vancleave / Ocean Springs. Lot's to learn about these boats.
    --
  • landraiderI'm registering up, and it is asking for a "class".... I don't have a clue! This will be my first Regatta.

Open B would be my guess at this point, they will fix it on site once all boats are registered and they divide up into classes. That is if your on a P18 classic.

Edited by nacra55 on Jun 23, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Yes... Standard P18. Standard sails, and no Spin.

--
    Prindle 18 aka Yellowtail. On the beautiful Mississippi gulf coast. Gautier / Independent Republic of Vancleave / Ocean Springs. Lot's to learn about these boats.
    --
  • OK I Signed up under Open B... My plan is to get behind everyone else, and just make it to the island. icon_lol

--
    --
  • I'm in...wouldn't miss this regatta since it's in my front yard...lol...see y'all there!

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • I'm in, come on everyone, you know you want to join the cool kids, hey, everyone is doing it.

List of Cool People Already Registered

Join the Party by registering now!
    https://www.regattanetwor…form.php?regatta_id=6984

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • This topic had veered into a discussion about insurance so I've split that off to it's own topic "Is Insurance Needed..." since that is an important subject of it's own.

Back to the Island Hop! Who from here is in? I'll be there Wednesday night and setting up during the day Thursday for some pre-race crusing. Who can join me early?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I would have to steal a boat - so I'm out for this year. Harstil would be a hoot for this!!

Edited by captedteach on Jun 29, 2013 - 07:39 PM.

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • DamonLinkousWho can join me early?

May not happen, but a couple of us from RSA are shooting to get down Thursday. As evidenced by the S2S results, I've got some figgerin out to do on this newer boat!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • I'm amped! Had a near crash and burn pitchpole today on a really gusty lake sailing day, but didn't end up going over. Buried the bows back to where the front of the tramp and the wings were under water but luckily it popped back up.

Packed the boat and brought it home for a little much needed cleaning before heading South Wednesday.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.