Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Round The Island June 29th, Fort Walton Beach, FL  Bottom

• Who's in? I'm looking for that "perfect weather window" year and plan to go for it again.

Last year Tropical Storm Dennis kind of made things "interesting" and I ended up bailing out at Key Sailing about 2/3 of the way around the 105 mile course. Hard to make headway single-handed against a 30 mph steady wind!

Please please can't I have one year with steady 15-20 from the South? I want to finish by 5pm.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Your on your own, Jerome and I talked about it and I had the house reserved but I just can't do it this year, but will be at Island Hop.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I am undecided on it this year.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • bachoI am undecided on it this year.

Aw, come on, hopefully we won't meet up at Key Sailing again.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Well I was all about it until 2 weeks ago. At a regatta in Panama City we did some sailing on a typical summer day which meant drifting and roasting in the sun until 2pm. It occurred to me that RTI is normally much the same.

I will probably bring the boat to FL. But if the weather doesn't look promising, I'm going fishing instead.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • I've considered sailing this route based on the best weather window rather than when the race is scheduled.

Just like the big boys do when they want to go for records on Trans Atlantics and such routes.

I've suggested to Fort Walton Yacht Club in the past that they should have a perpetual "outright fastest" record regardless of when it is sailed. The start/finish would always be at the club and GPS tracks used to verify the course was followed.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Did anyone sail around the island this year? Since I wasn't there I'm assuming conditions were perfect.

Ok, just found the results on the FWYC.org it looks like there were only five entries this year, but conditions must have been pretty good and ARC 27 finished in 10 hours 15 minutes and a Tornado in 10 hours 48 minutes.

Randy Smyth apparently was first to finish in about 10 hours 3 minutes on his one of a kind trimaran Sizzor but got some kind of penalty that dropped him to 2nd place overall with the ARC 27 winning.

Maybe we can all get it together and do this next year.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Looks like Randy was OCS, crossed the line to early and didn't restart. 2.5 points penalty but that would give him 3.5 points and third place not 2.5 points and second.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I heard the Hans Report yesterday (second hand).

weather was insane the night before the race
    Race was on/off again, course changed then unchanged
    only 3 or 4 started
    scissor was over the line but continued
  • The weather was very questionable at the start. Race committee decided on the inside course which is in the ditch both ways. It was a beat to Pensacola in 10-20 depending on squalls. In the afternoon the wind dropped to 7 for the down wind leg back to FWYC.
    Randy's little boat thing was very fast in the down wind light air. Confusion about what constitued the start line resulted in Randy being penalized 1 place. He was moved back from 1st to 2nd. They have a rule due to a 100 mile race if over early it is just a 1 spot penalty. As an FYI he was not over early in the true sense, as he had to wait under postonement for 30 minutes. Then at the start was on the wrong side of the ball that was made the line even though they in the past used landbased structures to mark the line. In most folks eyes he "won" the race.
    Participation was a disappointment, part weather related and part due to a multihull regatta in Pensacola on the same day. The weather actually ended up being a lot better than the expectation at the start.

Hopefully the schedules will not conflict next year.
  • We are looking at moving this back to September, after Juana's...
    Ashley
  • ashleygirlWe are looking at moving this back to September, after Juana's...
    Ashley

Hey Ashley Girl, good to see you here. What are the reasons/politics involved in thinking of moving the date?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuotePlans are already underway to host the regatta the week prior to or the week following Juanas - Back to September.

I spoke with Mike Kelly (Beach Liquors) and he will arrange for a major sponsor. The launch site will return to Leeside Park for the high performance cats and trimarans with the Ramada Inn on the Gulf as the launch site for the Hobie 16s 'off the beach' style.

Put this one on your calendar. The NoR will be out by September 2013.

We are returning to the original formatting plan. Most likely the RTI will be the weekend following Juanas so the racers can leave their boats in the area and return for the RTI.

It's still a long time off so we'll see what FWYC and Mike finally decide what to do. I just wanted all to know we are aiming at a September event for 2014.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • After catsailor, some say that attendance will improve moving the race back to September. The weather in September will be a little better for drifting the gulf.

Some have raised concerns that it being scheduled the weekend after jaunas will hurt attendance.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, jaunas has been on my list for some time now but I find it hard to make it to.

DamonLinkous
    ashleygirlWe are looking at moving this back to September, after Juana's...
    Ashley

Hey Ashley Girl, good to see you here. What are the reasons/politics involved in thinking of moving the date?

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • I usually travel to the coast for Juanna's for a week anyhow, if it was +\- a week I could do both. Not gonna make a separate 7 hour road trip if its say, 2-3 weeks separated. Hard to get off work.
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.