Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

g-cat 5.7... good or bad?  Bottom

• I saw a 1981 g-cat 5.7 for sale today on the side of the road.... I don't know anything about the g-cat and have never seen one up close before. It seems to be in decent condition. I really like that it has a forward trampoline and big buoyant looking hulls. (I like to sail with a large crew and sometimes do overnight trips, so extra space for gear is great) I do not like that it doesn't have dagger boards.

Any thoughts? Any problem areas to look for?

The asking price was $1200.

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Those are pretty nice, good load carriers and faster than you would think.

There is LOTS of info on these available here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=80914

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for the link.

I noticed some of the portsmouth handicap numbers in one of the brochures...

.700 for the G-cat 5.7, .715 for the Nacra 5.2, and .725 for the Hobie 18. Does this mean that the g-cat is faster than both the Hobie 18 and the Nacra 5.2 or am i understanding these numbers incorrectly?

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • U.S.Sailing's portsmouth #'s list G Cat 5.7 as 73.2, H-18 71.4 & Nacra 5.2 72.1 indicating G Cat as slower. There are variations for different wind conditions, but it is slower in all variations. Pete
  • VenoraThanks for the link.

I noticed some of the portsmouth handicap numbers in one of the brochures...

.700 for the G-cat 5.7, .715 for the Nacra 5.2, and .725 for the Hobie 18. Does this mean that the g-cat is faster than both the Hobie 18 and the Nacra 5.2 or am i understanding these numbers incorrectly?

pbegleU.S.Sailing's portsmouth #'s list G Cat 5.7 as 73.2, H-18 71.4 & Nacra 5.2 72.1 indicating G Cat as slower. There are variations for different wind conditions, but it is slower in all variations. Pete

Portsmouth numbers
    http://offshore.ussailing…es/Multihull_Classes.htm

The G-Cat brochure was probably quoting a "provisional" DPN that the 5.7 was assigned when it was introduced. Portsmouth numbers are actually created by US Sailing using reported race results. Since the G-Cat 5.7 wasn't produced that long, and was never largely picked up by hotshot racers, there are probably few reported races in the Portsmouth records to base a rating on, and in those races the G-Cat was beaten by the more widespread Hobie 18 and Nacra 5.2.

that doesn't "necessarily" mean that the 5.7 is slower (and certainly not by much if it is) than those boats, only that the ones that sailed in reported races finished behind those boats.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • hmm... i guess the g-cat brochure is using different #s...

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • VenoraI saw a 1981 g-cat 5.7 for sale today on the side of the road.... I don't know anything about the g-cat and have never seen one up close before. It seems to be in decent condition. I really like that it has a forward trampoline and big buoyant looking hulls. (I like to sail with a large crew and sometimes do overnight trips, so extra space for gear is great) I do not like that it doesn't have dagger boards. If you notice, there is a chine on the hull, and when the weather hull is just skimming the water, it comes into play

VenoraI saw a 1981 g-cat 5.7 for sale today on the side of the road.... I don't know anything about the g-cat and have never seen one up close before. It seems to be in decent condition. I really like that it has a forward trampoline and big buoyant looking hulls. (I like to sail with a large crew and sometimes do overnight trips, so extra space for gear is great) I do not like that it doesn't have dagger boards.

• QuotePortsmouth numbers
    http://offshore.ussailing…es/Multihull_Classes.htm

The G-Cat brochure was probably quoting a "provisional" DPN that the 5.7 was assigned when it was introduced. Portsmouth numbers are actually created by US Sailing using reported race results. Since the G-Cat 5.7 wasn't produced that long, and was never largely picked up by hotshot racers, there are probably few reported races in the Portsmouth records to base a rating on, and in those races the G-Cat was beaten by the more widespread Hobie 18 and Nacra 5.2.

that doesn't "necessarily" mean that the 5.7 is slower (and certainly not by much if it is) than those boats, only that the ones that sailed in reported races finished behind those boats.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense.

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • I am long time beachcat sailor, mostly a hobie 16, a few seasons on an 18. I have had a g-cat 5.7 for maybe 6 weeks now. It is well built and easy to rig. It does not have dagger boards which is nice for a boat this size, i know you said that is a negative, she sails to wind well, although I'm not sure what your used to, i dont know much about Sol cats. It really handles weight well without effecting performance. It tacks better than my H16 but I know that is not saying much. The sharp hulls cut through chop nicely. At almost 400 lbs it's a little heavier than I like for moving on the beach and the hulls really don't slide we'll on sand but I guess I shouldn't be doing that anyway. The snap down tillers seem like they will break, but I'm going to swap with a hobie system. The front tramp is awesome, gives a big boat feel for tasks like dousing the jib or deploying an anchor and is perfect for hear or crew. My friend took a nap on it blowin 15-20. What I notice most is how comfortable it is in heavy air, I'll take my 16 out in 20 k and it's like trying to tame a bull, the g-cat just settles in, feels very safe, comfortable and fast. It was a good purchase for me, however I do not race or sail with other boats, it is just an island hoping adventure vehicle for me and it does that job very well. 1200 seems like a steal, but parts may be a little tricky and I would plan on a tiller upgrade. I am new to the boat but she has impressed me and I take her out in pretty tough conditions.
  • we have many on our beach - it is a great boat

can be sailed faster than any h16 or 18 all day long

we have g-cats passing the finish line first all the time
  • Thanks for the replies. great info. I am liking it more and more. The only issue i have now is convincing my wife to buy. We are moving across the country in september, so we'd have to either re-sell it or take it with us. not sure how that would work since we will already be towing a trailer... maybe i could take it apart and tie it to the roof...

--

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Quotemaybe i could take it apart and tie it to the roof...

Can be done without taking it apart :)
    http://turtleislands.net/tmc/onroof.jpg

I wouldn't try this way
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/52715d1295553081-possible-design-cartopper-can-sleep-2-overnight-car-top-carrier.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Jun 12, 2013 - 08:35 AM.
  • Having owned both a H16 and H18, it's easily an easier boat to live with. Easy for the beginner to sail well. Comfortable tramp - nothing is 'in the way' (the jib blocks on the H18 are right where you sit), no daggerboards - less clutter. Lots of volume/displacement in the hulls. In both the bay and the ocean, it rides through big waves with a smooth roll. It's dryer than the H18 and Supercat. The rudder system is simple. It rigs fast - especially if you convert the forestay to a hobie-style yoke. Kids and gear can go up front. I like mine a lot.

--
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • There is one here I've been looking at - I think all the sails are shot so I've been a bit hesitant to buy it. Since its parked under a tree I'm betting the tramps are screwed too

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • If the hulls are real solid, I would try to talk him way down and use the cost of these critical parts as a starting point in the negotiations...

captedteachThere is one here I've been looking at - I think all the sails are shot so I've been a bit hesitant to buy it. Since its parked under a tree I'm betting the tramps are screwed too

Edited by MN3 on Jun 20, 2013 - 10:48 AM.
  • MN3If the hulls are real solid, I would try to talk him way down and use the cost of these critical parts as a starting point in the negotiations...

captedteachThere is one here I've been looking at - I think all the sails are shot so I've been a bit hesitant to buy it. Since its parked under a tree I'm betting the tramps are screwed too
    Edited by MN3 on Jun 20, 2013 - 10:48 AM.

I've been doing this a pretty good while - just so you know.

I'm still hesitant though:
    1) I already have 6 sailboats
    2) I want to locate all the junk the G-cat needs to have a guesstimate of final cost
    3) I really should sell something to have a place to put something else

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.