Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any advantage going 8'-6" Wide?  Bottom

• I'm restoring two Nacra 5.2's and a 5.8NA right now. I plan to make up new crossbeams for cosmetic (pretty bent up) reasons as well as some electrolysis. Since all rigging and the tramps will be getting replaced this is the perfect time to go to 8'-6" wide if there is any benefit. Is there a good worthwhile advantage to going 8'-6, or more appropriate maybe, is there a good reason not to?

While we're at it, I'm looking for a set of 5.2 daggerboards. Don't mind doing a little work on them since I'll be gel coating them to match the hulls.

Edited by nacraflyer on Jun 05, 2013 - 06:06 PM.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.2 Restored and heavily modified
    Nacra 5.2 (one under restoration)
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • The only benefit is that 8' 6" is the maximum width you can legally tow without a wide load permit, signs, etc. Otherwise you would want the boat to be as wide as is reasonable to get more righting moment.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • nacraflyer Is there a good worthwhile advantage to going 8'-6, or more appropriate maybe, is there a good reason not to?

Good reason not to alter the original beam is that a custom beam width means custom trampoline and shrouds, at the very least.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • While it would not really make much difference I can see someone protesting the boat if you are racing it. Righting moment would change some. There was a guy down here that had a 5.8 with a 10' beam. He used a 6.0 main and mast with the 5.8 jib Dont remember what they rated it but it was a pretty hot boat

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • The standing rigging isn't much of a deal for me since I'll be replacing all anyway and Murray's is just a day shipping away. Plan on putting on furling and self tacking jibs to keep tramp clean and put foils on to tack the jibs lower and a bit further forward so as not to loose as much.

Putting new 90 degree Keder rail on inside of hulls rather than the top to make the deck cleaner, so custom tramp already 1" narrower, no problem for SLO Sail & Canvas who is making all new Dimension-Polyant infusion sails and new tramps for the 3 boats.

Don't know about racing yet. Still new to this sailing game. Moved from mainly flying Hang Gliders and Paragliders to flying hulls just last summer. With a fleet of 4 Cats we'll probably just race more against each other for a while. Then if I get the racing bug go out an buy something newer.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • I'm a big fan of wide beam boats. If you're just interested in a hot recreational boat, and are gonna replace all the components that are made obsolete by increasing the beam, I'd say go for it!

Dave
  • Portsmouth #'s have been collected for 40 years on multihulls & can be found on Catsailor.com. The 8 foot wide 19' Nacra (5.8) N.A. has a PN of 66.5, while the 8.5 wide 18' (5.5) Nacra has PN of 67, slightly slower. Now move to Beaufort 4 (11-16 knots), the kind of winds we like to sail in, and the 5.5 moves to 65.7 compared to 65.4 for the 5.8. Now with solid whitecaps, the smaller 5.5 moves to 61.2 beating the 5.8 at 62 (smaller # is faster). So smaller, but wider boat is faster. Pete
  • i have a nacra 18 square so i would be all in for wider, more stable, more fun, easier to prevent flipping over.
  • Thanks for the info. I had been considering going 10' - 11' wide on the 5.8, but just don't think that I want to invest the time into making a tilt system on a trailer this season. Maybe a fun winter project.

I've come up with a really nice wing seat setup for the Nacra(s) that can be installed and removed in seconds, so that would allow me to get some weight out further already, but I still think I like the idea of wider hull spread to a point.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • I am always curious to see wing seat designs and pictures. One thing to keep in mind is trying to keep it from dragging in the water while flying the other hull. It can't be avoided but some designs are better then others in what angle they allow before dragging.

I agree with the others that for recreation, wider is better until you impact setup time significantly. Unless you have mast up storage.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Speaking of wing seats anyone put them on a Nacra 20?

Unless I can find a late model H18 I think I will sell all my SX stuff and go with a N20, but I sure would love my wings on it!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • I've got an option on the Wing Seat that will allow it to quickly fold up to the shroud so you can avoid dragging as much as possible, yet is secured in position when out. You can also just remove two pins and pull the whole setup off the boat, with the exception of the round brackets, which can also be removed in about 10 minutes.

I may start another post to see how much interest there is in Nacra Wing Seats. If there is enough I may consider offering them for sale in the proper section on the site.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • i was sailing last weekend in gusts to 30mph on my 18 square. i was on a 90 degree reach out on the trap and had the traveler out 2/3. a big gust hit and pushed both bows at least a foot under water. both hulls were in the water and i think that if i was flying a hull at the time i probably would have pitchpoled. but both hulls popped up and i continued sailing. comments?
  • Jim,

I believe that the Nacra 20's still had the 4" round crossbeams. If that is the case my setup for Wing Seats brackets would work. I have the measurements from crossbeam centers for the 5.2, 5.7 and 5.8, but would need the dimensions for any others.

I'd need to get my hands on any of the crossbeams that are not round to see about machining up a bracket. If anyone in SoCal (LA to San Diego) has one I'd like to come take a look to see how it could be done.

--
    Craig
    Windrider Rave Hydrofoil
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.8NA
    SoCal
    --
  • That's a negative on the i20 beams. They use a D shape beam.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • sounds fun, i love to drive my hulls in
    Quoteboth hulls were in the water and i think that if i was flying a hull at the time i probably would have pitchpoled. but both hulls popped up and i continued sailing. comments?
  • nacraflyerJim,

I believe that the Nacra 20's still had the 4" round crossbeams. If that is the case my setup for Wing Seats brackets would work. I have the measurements from crossbeam centers for the 5.2, 5.7 and 5.8, but would need the dimensions for any others.

I'd need to get my hands on any of the crossbeams that are not round to see about machining up a bracket. If anyone in SoCal (LA to San Diego) has one I'd like to come take a look to see how it could be done.

You may want to see if you can get your hands on a set of NACRA 18 square beams... check with Pete Beagle I think he may have some..

As a note, I too had contemplated making the beam on my 5.8 wider and had the chance to when the main beam failed and you could still buy parts directly from Performance Catamaran. After to speaking to the folks at Performance Catamaran they had noted there is a reason for the 5.8 having an 8' beam as it gives the boat a better pointing ability.. For what I was going to have to spend at the time to do it with two new beams, reconfiguring the tramp, rigging etc.. it was well over $1200 on a bot I spent $2000 on!!!!! It was just not worth it..

There is a gent that has a NACRA 6.0 with a 9.5' beam... and recently there was another that showed up at the Tri-Point Race (something you should bring the 5.8 up to Ventura and do) with a 6.0 plus with a 10' beam... But that boat had a taller mast and the jib tangs were all the way to the front of the hulls.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • marcs2i was sailing last weekend in gusts to 30mph on my 18 square. i was on a 90 degree reach out on the trap and had the traveler out 2/3. a big gust hit and pushed both bows at least a foot under water. both hulls were in the water and i think that if i was flying a hull at the time i probably would have pitchpoled. but both hulls popped up and i continued sailing. comments?

Sounds like the normal traits of a NACRA...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Check out the hiking racks on this boat:http://www.thebeachcats.c…tra-performance-cat.html Those look relatively easy to make and would be awesome!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.