Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catamaran suggestion for two big guys on a lake. Added dificulty: new to multi's harder:nacra pref.  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Look into the Hobie 21SE.....

Edited by bill40421SE on Jun 01, 2013 - 04:50 AM.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I like the comfort on my wings seats and the foot print of my 21SE. icon_cool

Can anyone name a more comfortable boat and stable cat?

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • http://www.goseewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Grenadab.jpg

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Ada huh? I used to live in Hugo and then later Durant while I was going to school.

If you lay off of that southern cooking you could go with a smaller boat.. icon_smile

Edited by Quarath on May 31, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Well I've been meaning to do another p90x run so maybe that would help. Last time went from a similar weight and pants size 38 to 34 and from 220 to 193.

You've talked me into it, that and the mental image of my moderately marshmellow ass hanging off a trap wire next to either of these sexy boats just doesn't do it for me. Problem is I'm still a large mammal even then :p
  • This is another vote for the Supercat 20, as a platform that can handle big sailors, and is substantially more durable(and cheaper!) than an F20C. 12' beam adds some stability over the Nacra/Inter 20s 8.5' beam. Stock, it's an older sailplan, but adapts well to newer sailcuts and cloths, and I've added spins to a couple of them with good results. The ARC22 is lots more money, not many used ones on the market at any time, and is really designed as a light air machine. We have to put ours away when the wind approaches 20 kts, or we break things! And it's got a maximum of 500 lbs crew wt, and two traps. It's the 27 that has the triple traps.

Although, an Inter 20 is on my bucket list, and I'd better get to it soon, as my ascending age is breeding thoughts of owning fewer, not more, boats.

A Tornado is another affordable cat that is big fun for big guys.

By happy coincidence, I have an SC20 for sale in the classified, feel free to call and chat if you're interested.

Dave
    509 276 6355 Spokane, WA

Edited by davefarmer on Jun 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM.
  • Ok first off I'm reviving my thread so no zombie jokes.secondly the longer my hunt goes the more interested I am in getting an infusion mk1 similar cost to an N20 but leagues ahead in hull design and sail plan. I have dropped down to 190 and have been visiting the gym regularly for the last year. After that graphic post about my then marshmallow self I made some changes :)

I need the lowdown on changes between the mk1 and mk2 infusions - thoughts - preferences and changes etc. as always I'm depending on the forum and it's collective decades of experience in sailing multihulls to cover what gaps I may have.

Thanks again,
    Scott
  • If you are going to leave the boat set up, I think you should look into a Stiletto 23. It may be a little harder to find, but I have sailed against them at Hefner, and they always ate up the rest of the boats. We installed wings on the last one we had, and three people on trap was never a problem. I had a Hobie 21(not SE), and it was a great boat until you had to pull that sled up on the beach( plus other Hobie sailors always gave me grief).

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • If the i20 is the same price as a MK1 infusion, the i20 is over priced. I still think it's a better choice for the sailing you describe.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Try out a Hobie 20 for cheap. $2500 -$4500 all day long. I've found mine easy to sail coming from a Hobie 16. I've had it in winds over 15 with 3 onboard ( 2 friends trapped out ) flying a hull through big chop and didn't feel out of control at all. Not really any class races around for them but you get a ton of bang for your buck. If you like the big cat feel ( rides like a fast Cadillac ) upgrade to a N20! My $0.02 icon_biggrin

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Buy my Nacra 5.8NA in the classifieds. She is a solid ride and very good for 2 people the sizes you mention, especially if you are just getting into this. Stable and predictable. Can be solo'd by one of you provided it isn't ridiculously windy. solid ride

--
    -PG
    '95 Nacra 5.8NA , rule#2
    --
  • trappinnyBuy my Nacra 5.8NA in the classifieds. She is a solid ride and very good for 2 people the sizes you mention, especially if you are just getting into this. Stable and predictable. Can be solo'd by one of you provided it isn't ridiculously windy. solid ride

Comes with daggerboards?

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • yup, 2 of them....and 3 rudders. top

--
    -PG
    '95 Nacra 5.8NA , rule#2
    --
  • I've owned multiple N5.8, a N20 and now a AHPC F18 Capricorn.

Based on what you are describing, I would look for an older Inter-20 (N-20) and not spend the big bucks just yet. The boat can be pushed very hard due to the long bows with lots of volume. We raced it competitively at 380lb crew combined crew weight.

Any F18 will be on the small side for your crew weight and for sure you would not be competitive if you are looking to do some racing. For day sailing probably OK, but you would have to be a lot more careful on crew placement in heavier wind.

For the fun factor, I would look for a boat with a chute. The N5.8 is a very good beginner boat, but feels like a truck compared to the newer designs.
  • way to kill my mojo on trying to sell the old girl. truck. smh wall

--
    -PG
    '95 Nacra 5.8NA , rule#2
    --
  • So on this page we have an I20 sailor recommending an I20, a Nacra 5.8 sailor reccommending a Nacra 5.8, a Hobie 20 sailor recommending a H20.

I'll go ahead and recommend a Hobie 18, which I know can easily handle your combined weight. prost

Seriously, you sound perfect for a N20, get the nicest one you can find and go for it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • okie_sailorwe are looking to get something big enough for us and maybe the wives too.

After reviewing lots of options it looks like an inter20, infusion18 or similar sized boat is what it's going to take. Our problem is that these boats are monsters. I'm not sure either of us have the skill required to run one let alone something like an F20c (the boat designed for two big guys looking to go FAST).
    Scott

So Scott it looks like you are in a very similar boat as myself. Let me throw one more wrench in the works. On a hot day and no one is around, would you feel compelled to slip both hulls into the cool water on a breezy day and just go for a relaxing little cruise solo? Or will you always be dependent on having someone with you at all times?

I asked the same question as I could totally see myself being one with the water when everyone else is busy and I got the Prindle 18 and Hobie 18 as my suggestions.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • There's a Super Cat 20 in the classifieds right now.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Stop this !!

Get a 20-footer, I 20 , N 20 , Supercat 20, Tornado, H 20, H 21 se, N 6.0, whatever.
    2 big guys need a big boat, buy one and go out sailing in light breeze.
    Find some-one to explain the ins and outs of sailing in a breeze ( shouldn't be to hard
    at the lake-side)
    Once you're comfortable with the cat, ad a spi. Once you're comfortable with the spi,
    take out the women.

Have Fun !!

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • okie_sailorOk first off I'm reviving my thread so no zombie jokes.secondly the longer my hunt goes the more interested I am in getting an infusion mk1 similar cost to an N20 but leagues ahead in hull design and sail plan. I have dropped down to 190 and have been visiting the gym regularly for the last year. After that graphic post about my then marshmallow self I made some changes :)

I need the lowdown on changes between the mk1 and mk2 infusions - thoughts - preferences and changes etc. as always I'm depending on the forum and it's collective decades of experience in sailing multihulls to cover what gaps I may have.

Thanks again,
    Scott

Scott,

Mk. 2 Infusion has longer boards and an extra bulkhead in the hull for a little more stiffness. The Mk. 2's also come with EVA decking standard. A Mk. 1 Infusion is perfectly fine for lake sailing, honestly I would take it over the Mk. 2 for that use, since the Mk. 2 daggerboard are likely to find the bottom sooner and cost 50% more to replace.

Be careful what you read here. There is a lot of mis-information. For starters, the Nacra 20 is no longer in production-the last new boat was sold in the U.S in 2007 or 2008. Maybe Nacra has one in storage, but I doubt it. The parts that are available are those that are interchangeable with the Infusion, which are a lot, but certain items like the mast base casting, mast cap, and mast are hard to find items that are no longer in production. Yes they are cheaper boats but they are generally much older, which is reflected in the price.

The Nacra Infusion has more hull volume than the Nacra 20 and can handle bigger teams just fine. I'll say the Nacra 20 is a little more powered up in lighter air (under 7 knots), but as soon as the breeze turns on, a well sailed Infusion will put a major hurt on a stock Nacra 20. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the Statue of Liberty race results: http://www.fleet250.org/upload/race/statue_race_results.pdf
    Sail no. 1273, 753 and 885 are all Mk. 1 Infusions, 1273 and 753 having the long boards. 1620 is a Mk. 2 Infusion. 1st place was a Falcon F18, followed by a C2 then a Cap. The Falcon had the best F18 team in the country on board, and they were beaten by a Mk. 1 Infusion w/ long boards in a 10-15kt race the next day. Boats were raced between 290 and 380 lbs all up weight.

You can also take a look at the Florida 300 race results for some F18 vs. N20 comparisons, in that case the Nacra 20 sailors were more pro-level and did well, but there wasn't a lot of downwind in major breeze conditions where a modern planing F18 with good crew can shine.

Anyway, I would recommend buying a used boat vs. new for your intended usage, there is a little a new boat will bring you other than less cash in pocket for the bar.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.