Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rudders are leaking. is this normal? how can I fix  Bottom

• last year I notices my rudders would take on water while I was out sailing and would have to drain them every time I came in. Well I am sick of it and I want to know if this is common problem for people and what they have done to fix it. Also if I do attempt to seal all the holes and fittings will it actually keep water out or will water still find its way in. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks
  • How are you draining your rudders? No that isn't normal.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • there are holes drilled in the bottom on one side. great not normal.. ok well looks like I am on my own then. They are f18ht rudders and I have hear rumors that they are known for this.
  • We need more data- type and year of cat, maybe a photo of the rudders and where they leak from.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • 2002 Bimare F18Ht.. I cant get a picture at the moment but I will upload one later.
  • I am holding an HT rudder in my hand, sure enough these do have drains. But it's not a normal thing amount beach cat rudders.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • If I were to tape one side of the opening and then use a syringe to put epoxy in would that be ok for the rudders?
  • I imagine water is getting in around the square pivot hole. Most of my rudders are at least a little chewed up there. I would try addressing that area before filling the drain hole.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Mine have leaked, only one now. I have epoxied the drain hole with no ill effect. They are chambered somehow, I've had to drill small drain holes in varying locations to get them to drain. Now I just tip the one over and lean it against something at the end of a session, and it drains in a few minutes. One of the daggers does this too, it's been frustrating trying to locate the ingress. I'm resigned to just letting them drain, but I'm in a very dry climate, might feel otherwise elsewhere. The issure has been with me for years with no ill effects evident.

I think because they were hollow, they had the factory hole to prevent them from exploding if overheated, and that it was designed to have the hole taped before use. Don't know how real the threat was/is, doesn't seem to be a great solution to the problem if it exists.

I have also filled the pivot hole solid with epoxy/chopped glass/hi density filler, and re drilled, to stop leaking and general maintenance/repair. Worked well. Have also added cloth where the rudder hits the lower casting when pulled down(converted to up/dn lines).

Bacho, how many is too many boats? I think I have seven now, but the last two came from a guy with eleven, so........

The HT is for sale, not because of leaking foils, but because of the too many concern.

Edited by davefarmer on May 06, 2013 - 08:37 PM.
  • does that include land (sailing) craft?

QuoteI think I have seven now, but the last two came from a guy with eleven, so........
  • davefarmer
    Bacho, how many is too many boats? I think I have seven now, but the last two came from a guy with eleven, so........

The HT is for sale, not because of leaking foils, but because of the too many concern.Edited by davefarmer on May 06, 2013 - 08:37 PM.

I think I am at 10 cats and 6 mono's. plus a handful with motors!

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • We only have five so I guess I need more. I do sail them all though.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.