Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is everybody ready for sailing?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Spring in the midwest is late this year and I am no where near ready. I know you boys down south have been sailing a good deal lately and last year because of the unusual warm temps I had been on the water for a couple weeks. What a difference a year makes! How is everybody else doing?http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101966&g2_serialNumber=3
  • Wisconsin still has ice on the smaller lakes near me. It should all be off this week though. I still need new tires on my trailer.

--
    78 Hobie 14 (buried in the garage)
    75 Venture 15 (love it)
    --
  • Not ready! I sold by cat at the end of last season with the idea that i would be moving across the country. I'll still be moving but not till the end of this year. I miss my cat!

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • NW indiana here, Im actually fortunate for the late spring, too many projects undertaken this winter.
    2 years ago I went sailing on St. Patrick's day!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Been a really tough year so far between illness(old age) in the family and school, but boy o boy, about the only thing that has me holdin on is a 2.5 week break in sight. Hopefully there are some good times and honkin' wind to be had this spring/summer.

The wind has been blowin for the past 2 weeks, but hopefully May will be just as good or better.
  • More than ready. Last year we have a very warm spring, I had both boats at the lake by the middle of April. I just unstacked them today. I have a little more work to do to get the Nacra out to the lake but the H-18 will have to wait. I have sailed in April many times but this year, the lake is still in the 40s, BRRRR. Probably June before it warms up. Enjoy it when you can, summer is short. Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Got out on Lake Michigan y'day. Token sail, but we sailed. The Coasties are still putting the buoys in. The big buoy tender was 2 miles off shore on Saturday.

Tomorrow the forecast is 20kts. Mental health day in June... in April, the 40 degree water temp is still scarey.

Edited by nhanson on Apr 29, 2013 - 09:15 PM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • hanson, Your a mad man out on lake michigan this early. Good for you.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Set up camp at hobie beach last weekend. Cold and wet but I'm in the sprite

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a603/jacobsdavid/Photo-00281_zps88ae165b.jpg
  • Quotehanson, Your a mad man out on lake michigan this early. Good for you.

I resemble that, er compliment? It was not anything to get excited about, but we did rig a H18 and get on the water. Last 2 days have been ~70 inland, cooler by the lake as we say here (much cooler ON the lake). Unfortunately my boat is not rigged (next weekend for sure). Also, I don't have willing crew. Only a handful of guys have dry suits (and I trust enough to crew when it's serious).

It does make the winter mentally go by quicker when you last sailed in December and then got out in April. Good news ... I checked on by boat, the "perfection" paint really held up well. I would strongly recommend if someone is looking to give a 10-15 year old boat that, good as new tune up. I could see the refection of the boat next to mine (in color)

New Sails
    New Standing Rigging
    New Running Rigging
    New Paint
    um, err ...
    (New Mast)
    (New Rear Crossbeam)
    (New Hot Stick or two)
    (New other various bits)

I believe I have perfected the formula making a 1997 Nacra Inter 18 worth prob 4K. You buy it for 3,500 or 3,000 ... Sail the crap out of it, find every neglected/worn part, replace those, sail some more, make a mistake or two, replace some more parts ... blow out a sail or two ... replace those ... countless hours of labor ... but then ... then you have a seriously pimp boat.
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7511577712_58ed198929_z.jpg

Anyone want to donate a black or red F18 Spinnaker? I'm out of money and it will complete the look. I will lake you sailing on Lake Michigan during on the next big day.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Temps here in Missouri went from 86F on Wednesday to 36F on Friday, 50 degree difference, really freaky. I am sooooo ready to get my feet wet.............. wallbash
  • Did anyone in the Mid-West get wet yet?...... denk I have been waaay too busy to get anything ready, hopefully things will slow down here pretty soon...... plemplem
  • Over here in the Netherlands, spring is about to hit 40-year
    record low, with an average temp of 7.3c ( 45f ) in April/May.
    They even expect snow in the south at the end of this weekend.

Took the P18-2 out in April, 2 times, it was cold, water 9c ( 48f )
    air 12c ( 54f ) and winds around 5 Bf.
    In May I did 2 trips in the same conditions, but at least the last
    time the sun was out. At the last trip I managed to rip out the top
    of one the daggers and destroy the snuffer-hoop.
    While beaching I hit a rock so now the port hull is leaking .
    So, there's work to do on the P, wich is for sale icon_frown (

Lots of work in May made it not possible to work on the wooden T.
    Got all the sails and parts, even a traveller for the jib.
    Due to new environment regulations its hard to find a proper place
    to sand the old paint of and see what's under that softspot .
    Managed to find a place where the T sits now for 14 days waiting.
    Rain and work makes it impossible to work on the T, you know on
    days you're off, it is raining.

So, am I ready for sailing? NO !

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Just brought my boat home for spring assembly here in NW Indiana. I'm going to try and get a shake down run at the local small lakes maybe even enter a race sunday for fun. but Lake michigan is still 60

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Went out yesterday, 88 outside and the gulf water was 81. Solid wind from the South all day @ 14K.

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • Ready? Not quite.. two weeks I hope.
    Docking situation almost ready.
    All new running rigging, check.
    New shrouds, check.
    Sails serviced, check.
    New heavy duty shock cords on rudders. They come up to a very excited position now!
    New mast ball.
    New Cheata mount ready to install. One bolt after measuring twice.
    Out board still not running, darn.
    Read and Re-read manual to figure out how to rig this thing, check.
    I just wonder what will break that I didn't replace?
    Still gotta seal the mast and mount the power right pole. I am not pushing the envelope for a while so the pole can wait.
    New wet suit and boots ready.
    Maybe I can mooch a ride somewhere.
    Why aren't there more beachcats around here?

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • panic_buttonWent out yesterday, 88 outside and the gulf water was 81. Solid wind from the South all day @ 14K.

81 wow I'm lucky of the water is close to 60. usually closer to 50.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Had some tiller time last weekend at Roosevelt Lake.
    It hit 93 degrees F and the water was low 70's.
    Winds were light, 4- 8 MPH for two days until we were all trying to take down and then it blew at 20 MPH for about an hour, knocking some bare masted cats over onto each other.
    Earlier that morning I had a 2.5 hour sail to the bridge by the dam and back.
    The night between was cool enough for campfires, rum and s'mores.
    Nice to get wet again.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The HT found her new home on Lake Spokane about 5 weeks ago, got a few rides on the springtime fronts, including a big wind day when it was all we could do to keep her upright, big fun! The "new" SC 20 got launched on Flathead Lake three weeks ago, and she's approaching a good state of tune, and a spinnaker rig coming together. Mostly lighter air sails so far, and this boat likes a blow. The F16 also went in that weekend, but a gudgeon failed, and I've yet to put her back together. The ARC is still a couple weeks from getting wet, with new graphics coming. And Flight Risk's mast snapped at the end of last season, and I've yet to start on the rebuild, although all the materials are on hand. John and I hope to put the 18 square in this weekend, as the lake's up enough to use the lift, finally. And there's still another SC yet to be retreived from northern CA. Still drysuit weather in the Pacific northwest, but I'm gettin' time in! Summer's still ahead.....
  • Big Boat still not ready - SOoooooooooooo I'm going to buy another boat that I can have ready pretty quick. It's gonna be a 'leaner' but it's time to get back on the water

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.