Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

anyone camp off the coast of Mississippi?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hey guys,

I am looking for information about camping on the barrier islands off the gulf coast. Can it be done? Do I need permits? Can we have a camp fire? Who do I check with? Etc.

Any info would be great, Thanks
    JIm

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • http://www.nps.gov/guis/p…visit/island-camping.htm

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • great info thank you!

dose anyone have any recommendations?

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • horn is the big daddy...you can do a practice run at deer island to get aquanted with island camping. i recommend going with other folks with a chase/gear boat for horn/petit bois. now is the time of year as well as late sept/october(no bugs-cool nights)...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • If you go let me know. I would love to sail out to Horn and camp.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • When we go it will be my oldest boy (16) and myself for this frist trip and I think we will go Sept/Oct time.

We would love another boat or a few to go on the trip. We don't know if we are going to go for one night or two, or if we do two, maybe island hop, different island each night.

If we go on our own I think we will do the Deer Island run as Bill suggested, for a shake down.

We will have a VHF, SPOT tracker and a GPS with us just incase.

I am thinking we will have about 150 lbs of gear plus 300 lbs of crew on my H18, it will probably be a slow run LOL.

golfdad we will let you know about dates, will you need to do it over a weekend or will week days work?

Jim

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • It's been a long time, but we used to camp on the MS barrier islands a lot in my 17' monohull daysailor. I was young and dumb, but it can be done safely, and it's a great experiece! Being from NOLA, you probably already know this, but I wouldn't count on it being bug free any time of year. With the right (wrong?) weather conditions, I've seen the biting flies very bad in Sept. The islands can have a myriad of pests from no see ums to huge horse flies. Take lots of Skin So Soft, DEET, and sunscreen! I believe some of the OSYC boys were doing this a couple of times a year with a support boat....you may want to check with them. Do your family a favor and file a float plan (maybe even with the rangers on Horn Is.?) so they have at least some idea where you plan to go.

Personally, I'd never attempt a two-nighter on my Hobie 16 without a support boat.....it would sink if I tried to carry that much beer!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • october is sweet...wind, cooler nights.. i prefer the east end for camping and it's useualy a reach to and fro fro ocean springs. the chase boat with the gear is nice too-beer an ice add up! bury you ice chest in the sand coserves ice greatly. get a 3 day fishing permit and file a float plan with the coastguard(allows you your daily limits to accumulate if you fish and it is excellent on the east tip!). camp just off of the dunes so you get the brees...dang, now i want to go...keep us posted!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • we keep this up we will need a permit LOL

The more the merrier!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Hey man, a bunch of us rag-tag Hobie sailors from OSYC go camping there every spring and fall, along with a few chase/power boats to haul the coolers. We sail out, swim, fish, etc and have a blast. There's 3 Hobie 18s from OSYC, mine, and two other guys as well. Shoot me a note sometime, bring your boat over and we'll get it squared away... I put a spin on my 18 last summer, it was an SX too but I put the standard mast on for competiting in standard Hobie class events... Coastrat, Golfdad and RattlenHum (Jerome) know our exploits to the islands.

Water is crystal clear, fishing is great, as is exploring the island. Looking back at the mainland you feel far away and peaceful, but relatively close. You even get cell/data service if you wanted.

One of the park rangers who lives part time on Horn is also a Hobie 18 sailor... so you know he's a great guy. icon_smile

Cheers, Rob.

PS - don't let the "YC" in OS... deter you... no one cares, just bring your boat and sail.

Edited by robpatt on Apr 22, 2013 - 10:38 AM.
  • Rob

As soon as I have it all back together I will meet up with you guys and make sure I have it right. I have her all in pieces right now, any recommendations? She doesn't leak, no cracks that I have found so far, we are still sanding off 2 layers of what can be best described as house paint. Found some repaired bow damage, but it was well done. Anything else I should look at?

Thanks

Edited by shipchips1 on Apr 22, 2013 - 06:03 PM.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Rob,

Will you guys let me race in the long distance races with the SX mast, wings and a non standard tramp?

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • shipchips1Rob,

Will you guys let me race in the long distance races with the SX mast, wings and a non standard tramp?

Now that's funny! Dude, they'll let you sail in a goat-puke green Yugo with a barber pole for a mast and a sail made from the sheet you stole from your motel. Chances are all the beer and chicken will be gone before you get to the island, though.....better carry your own in the trunk!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • LOL, someone has to come in last!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • I think the provisional D-PN for the Yugo will be in the range of Avagadro's number......6.0221413e+23.

And one more thing I remember about camping on the MS barrier islands....If you don't store your food securely, those fat-ass racoons out there will rob you blind when you pass out drunk. Nothing worse than being hot, dehydrated, bug-bitten, sunburned, and hungover except being hot, dehydrated, bug-bitten, sunburned, hungover, and out of powdered donuts.

P.S. I hope your 16 year old is open-minded; otherwise this might not be the right crowd for an island trip. One weekend could result in years of therapy! icon_wink

Edited by rattlenhum on Apr 24, 2013 - 12:12 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • LMAO!!!! icon_lol

We will just add it to the years of therapy from how he was raised, he won't know the difference. LOL

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • As the fleet capt at OSYC I say put your boat back together, hook it to the back of your Yugo bring what ever tramp you can find and come on over for Slip to Ship on Memorial Day weekend and become part of the brotherhood.

--
    Andrew ~ Nacra F17 #136, Hobie 18M #22
    --
  • cat136bring what ever tramp you can find

Sounds like words to live by. prost

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • your tramp better be legal, or else we'll be forced to confiscate it as illegal booty.
  • Your just have to much fun with this LOL!!!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.