Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach Launching prindle 18. Hobie 16.  Bottom

• I am looking at a Prindle 18 and plan on beach launching and landing. I am a bigger guy, 235 and plan to solo as well as 2 person. I was told that the Prindle 18 can be difficult Wiith the rudder system when landing on the beach while the 16 would have rudders that flip up when hitting the beach.
    Any input? I like the size and flotation of the P18, but is a H16 better for better for beach launching?
    I was concerned that with my size, and adding a second, that the H 16 might be a bit too small.

--
    Scott Webb
    Virginia Beach - Sandbridge
    Still looking for my first Cat
    --
  • IMHO, the Hobie has a better rudder system. That said, I think the additional volume of the 18 will outweigh the rudder drawbacks with your weight. I think you will be able to come to terms with the Prindle system rather quickly as well.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • a 16 would not be best with you and crew at that weight
    I would look for a prindle or hobie 18

PS Kick up rudders are meant to kick up when you hit an object to avoid major damage, they are not the preferred way to land a boat as they cause minor damage (sanding) everytime and can cause major damage (broken rudder, casting or ripped off transom)
  • the p18 weighs the same as the h16 also...and it will carry much more weight. i like the solid glass rudders and rugged simplicity of the prindle rudders as well. the h16 can be a rocket with big winds with a big guy solo but will bog down with another adult size crew added. i have had a p16 the last 4 years after being a h16 guy my whole life...the prindle is a much better engineered boat, the most modern designs have much in common...they don't have as many quirks....

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Scott, once you become familiar with the Prindle rudder setup, they are easy to use. Under the Photo Albums tab at the top of the web-page, there is a section "Technical Tips", in there I have an entire folder/album dedicated to how the Prindle rudders work. They are "slightly" more complicated than the H16 rudder setup but if dialed properly, will work for beach launching.

As noted above, the H16 does really well with around 200-250lbs, after that it becomes a submarine. The P16 would be a better choice for 250-300 lbs and over that I would go with the P18 if that is what you have at hand. Built like a tank, asymmetrical hulls means no dagger boards which is a plus when it comes to launching through the surf, one less piece of equipment to juggle when things become frantic, and as you well know, it can get frantic really quick when launching through surf. I've surfed the north side of Rudee's Inlet when the waves were 6-8ft but that was storm swell, usually the waves were 2-3ft, but when launching there is very little margin for error.

R
  • I have found sailing out in small surf much easier than sailing in on my P18. I usually kick my rudders up and let them hang free when coming in to keep them from kicking up when hitting the beach. I try to come in with as much speed as possible so I am outrunning the surf. If this is the case it is not too bad; however, if I cannot generate sufficient speed on my tack to the beach and get caught surfing the waves the tiller can be quite a handfull. It loads up extremely quickly and tries to push the rudders parallel to the surf causing the boat to turn into an uncomfortable spot. I would never try to come into a beach like this where anyone else is near the water line as I am typically doing good to hit a target 50' wide on the beach.

Most of this is likely due to my inexperience with this issue as my boat is on an inland lake with the exception of the week I drag it to the beach every year in the FLA or ALA gulf coast. I would love to hear how managing surf is done properly from those who do it often.
  • the-renovator
    As noted above, the H16 does really well with around 200-250lbs, after that it becomes a submarine. The P16 would be a better choice for 250-300 lbs and over that I would go with the P18 if that is what you have at hand.

R

I think you are selling the H16 a little short on load capacity. hammer Considering that the minimum class legal crew weight is 285 lbs and not many (very good) Hobie 16 race crews I know come in under 300 lbs.

But it is a fact that if you want to sail with two 200 pounders (or a 235 and 180 type combo) then an 18 footer will be less affected, and provide more room on-board.

It's a little delicate to give advice based just on weight, when someone describes themselves as "bigger guy, 235" we don't know if that is a chiseled 6' 2" MMA fighter or someone who wishes they were 175 instead. icon_confused

Oh, and Welcome to TheBeachcats.com Scott!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • the big guy deal is good for solo sailing...and great for heavy winds sailing with crew,my fave...

the first 2 seasons with my prindle, my crew was 6'4" 265lbs. me,5'6" 250lbs. yeah that's right..i got fat. a few short years ago i was 175lbs.. who know drinking beer and eating bar-bq caused that? i thought tailgating was a healthy passtime, they should warn people! anywhoo...i'm gonna go ahead and lay the "best boat for the money " card here...that's the way it ends up any how. all things being equal, you will have to decide based on what you think you want..light/medium winds solo-h16...big winds big crew-prindle. it has to blow over 12kts. for me to start to get excited...20 kts. and i feel ALIVE icon_eek

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • If your new to cat sailing the Prindle 16 & 18 can't be beat for ease of use, especially in light wind, you will get used to the rudders. The Hobie 16 is good in light wind as well. The Hobie 18 adds not just the extra parts of the dagger boards but in light wind, even with the boards down they will slide sideways!! As I just found out last season! I had only sailed on P 16s & 18s & H 16s. It is nothing you can't learn to handle and I know better now, but if your new why add more to the learning curve. I would have stayed with a P 18 but I wanted the extra room of the SX wings I have a family of 7. IMO the P 18 would be the way to go for you. Just make sure you rebuild your rudder system, new pins, new catches, new pulleys, new lines and take the time to adjust them so they release when you want without taking the back of the boat off.

Edited by shipchips1 on Apr 21, 2013 - 05:30 PM.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.