Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

I'm Back... with a Nacra 5.7 this time :)  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Well I sold my P19 last year and regretted it so I found a well priced 5.7 on CL and snapped it up.
    Looking forward to sailing the boat this summer on Tahoe.

Anything I should know about 5.7's before fixing it up and sailing it?

Cheers

Al
  • that was your boat on fb?...sweet!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • try to keep your mouth closed when grinning from ear to ear and laughing cause it is so much fun.
    you can get a fly in your mouth if your not careful

congrats and enjoy.
    QuoteAnything I should know about 5.7's before fixing it up and sailing it?
  • coastratthat was your boat on fb?...sweet!

Yeah I was tagged in that image of it at the gas station on the trailer
  • I miss my 5.7 They are a great boat, easy to sail and right when you get on your side. I recommend the square top mylar sails over the dacron any day. ( I had Ian at Elloit Pattison make me a really nice bi color set of sails) They have the pattern down pat as they were the factory sail maker back then. They are far superior over the dacron and give better tach and jibbing over dacron. They also perform better in light air. The mast ball should be replaced every year even though they look fine. I had a 1.5 yr old ball exlode while going under the Verranzano Bridge during a Statue of Liberty Race a few years back. The rudder shock cords are manageable but still a pain to deal with. I kept a spare set of aluminum pins for the gudgeons and replaced them mid season every year. They wear kinda fast. Like most cats it really helps to move forward under light wind and she will speed right up. They love to be nose heavy. No fear when stuffing a hull as they seem to get spit back out and I never could pitchpole the boat. Good luck with her,, Jenna

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • Thanks for the tips Jenna,

Shopping list is for a new dolphin striker mast pin, mast ball, standing rigging and elbow grease so far..

Hull needs a little TLC but nothing I I can't fix easily.
  • Your welcome,, just becareful the the mast pin and ball are matched they make two thread patterns just to mess wiff our heads.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • 5.7 Comrades:
    I am working on retro fitting and rigging my 5.7.
    New shrouds and forestay mast ball ordered, running rigging just about done.
    I am measuring the shock cord on the rudders, looks like 3/16". Is there any other characteristic? What do you use? It's pretty old so I wanted to check with the pros in case it mine had shrunk. Are there any other tricks to this part of the system I should know about? There is not much detail in the manual.
    Thanks

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • 3/8 inch shock cord on the rudders is what I used on the 5.5, same rudder system.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Awesome boat! Good choice. :)

Shouldn't be much of an adjustment from your P19. The 5.7 should be a little easier to sail and a little tamer than the P19, it will probably feel like a vacation. I know my 5.7 just rails on one hull, it gets up and just likes to sit there all day. If you have questions or need parts be sure to ask.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • scotts1w5.7 Comrades:
    I am working on retro fitting and rigging my 5.7.
    New shrouds and forestay mast ball ordered, running rigging just about done.
    I am measuring the shock cord on the rudders, looks like 3/16". Is there any other characteristic? What do you use?

That should be 5/16" and you run double inside the tubing. You can use 3/8" but I don't think you can fit 2 of them inside.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Take a look at this thread to get all the info you need ".Nacra Rudder System, Pivmatics and Bungee Setup".
    N5.0 and N5.7 use the same rudder system.

Edited by windadict on May 12, 2013 - 11:52 PM.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • windadictThat should be 5/16" and you run double inside the tubing. You can use 3/8" but I don't think you can fit 2 of them inside.

I stand corrected 5/16 is the correct size.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Quote3/8 inch shock cord on the rudders is what I used on the 5.5, same rudder system.

Yes that would be a work and the tighter you set them the better. The problem is the strectch you need to make it work when setting it up. The 5/16 cord will work easier thou. The 3/16 is hard to get a full season out of.They become a annual maintenance event if your boat is in the sun uncovered alot I am restoring an A-Cat currently with the same system. I thought I had gotten away from that with the F18 uggh.

Edited by JennaMeyer on May 13, 2013 - 10:38 AM.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • just did the rudders on my 5.7 with 4' of 5/16" (cheap stuff from department store) this setup was NOT able to support the weight of the rudders, going to try a better quality 5/16" as well as 3/8" (originally had 3/8" when i bought it).

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • You Guys and Gals are great!
    Man am I glad I found you. Do any of you make house calls?
    Thanks for the quick, helpful responses.
    Scott

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • mryellajust did the rudders on my 5.7 with 4' of 5/16" (cheap stuff from department store) this setup was NOT able to support the weight of the rudders, going to try a better quality 5/16" as well as 3/8" (originally had 3/8" when i bought it).

Just my opinion, which may not be worth anything, but expecting the shock cord to hold the rudders propped up is a little far fetched. I think the original purpose was just to have enough strength to pop them up once you uncleat them. (and once you uncleat them, the bungees pop them up and they basically float)

Edited by matt922 on May 13, 2013 - 07:10 PM.
  • Not so. Rudders should stand up like they just saw couple bikini SUPers. On the lake today on 5.8 with only 1/4" old shock cord & minute we pulled tube end of shock cord, they stood up. Needed for backing boat around on beach. Pete
  • I'm still working on the technical folder for the Nacra rudders and will post when finished. Matt, please, you're way off base.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Quoteexpecting the shock cord to hold the rudders propped up is a little far fetched.

Not far fetched, there are several photos in the galleries showing the rudders at 1 O'clock. As some of the posters say, it is just a matter of bungee diameter & preload.
    That being said, you may not want your rudders to pop up. In my case, the water suddenly gets shallow 50' from the dock. I need to be able to get enough clearance that they don't bang on the bottom, but still require a steering force to be able to round up. Our prevailing wind means I need to be able to execute a 180* turn in a confined space. If my rudders popped clear, I would lose that ability, so I rig them to perform as you mentioned, only coming to a trail position.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.