Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Fully dismantled hobie 16 parts have any value/market?  Bottom

• Just completely took apart an old H16 I bought that had badly delaminating hulls. Believe it's an 83. Kept literally everything but the hulls, took everything down to the plug assembly. Some things I will keep as parts like rudder cams which were good but anyone know how to price the mast, frame, bridle wires, etc.
  • Where are you located?

Sorry to hear about your hulls, been there, done that.

I buy and part out boats more often than I'd like to. Around here it's usually easier to find a whole boat cheaply for the parts that I need than finding just the part.
    I usually gage on ebay and retail for new. Ebay is even high for used stuff and I like to keep the price fair for fellow sailors, besides, if someone is looking for used stuff then they are trying to be frugal for one reason or another (like me) then I try to make is easier for them. I try to think about what I would pay for something and would it would take to cover my shipping costs and what I actually need from the parts to break even or buy a case of beer.
    More often than not you end in pretty good shape on a part out, it's more work but nothing worth it isn't.

I see non-comptip masts pretty often in the $150-250 range depending on condition, and comp-tips i rarely ever see but usually 250-350.
    Booms are usually in the 50-75 range, I've seen people ask for more but I don't think that I've seen them sell or usually they sit for a while.

Sails in the 83 range I've seen and sold for 250-400 range depending on condition, having any repairs done if necessary before selling helps and has gotten me sales quicker than "as-is". People usually want stuff that is good to go, even if you just pass the cost on. Usually I absorb 25%ish of it to help keep the price appealing. I don't really part out to get rich, just to cover my butt and hopefully the expense of the part(s) that I needed.

The rudder system is another thing, condition and type play a big role as well as how you want to sell it. Most people either need just the rudders or the whole thing, if you sell just the rudders ($50-100 for both depending on condition, but I've seen them listed for 75-100 each...ouch) Clean those up by the way, using diluted bleach if you have the soft ones (it really helps). Once you sell the rudders, I think that the rest of the system is harder to sell, possible, it just can take longer. You'd probably make more money if you did parted the system out and found the right guys at the right time, maybe 175-225. where you might get 150-200 for selling the whole system. + whatever tiller arm style you might have.

The tramp frames last forever, its pretty rare that people need those, but it happens, plan on sitting on that for a while, people do need the parts off of them from time to time ($20-40 here and there). If you get desperate you can scrap it but that makes me sad. If you find someone that needs the tramp frame you might be able to get $150 or so for it.

The trampoline usually sells, those vary, but usually go for at least $80-100 on the low end depending on if its vinyl, or mesh, original, new, condition, and if its hobie or after market. Used newer hobie one could go for $250-400 as they are like 550 new.

I would hold onto the your wires if you plan on getting another H16 or scrap them, that just seems like a liability issue to me, they aren't that much new, you won't really make that much money on them, I'd rather have a set of extras and assume the risk my self.

This is at least a start for conversation, maybe I'm in left field, but I usually sell stuff pretty quick, I'm usually flexible too, I wouldn't do it if I didn't think that I could sell parts to guys at a fair price and be able to cover what I needed, I enjoy the balance and getting myself as well as other people back on the water afford-ably. :)

Just remember to cover shipping and what not. I list prices shipped when I post online, it just makes things easier. And paypal tags on 4%. Then I'd take money off for local pick up. The mast and probably the boom aren't worth shipping. Always avoid packages over 60" long unless the buyer wants to pay a arm and a leg for shipping.

Good luck

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • Yeah I bought the boat for 800 plus 48 tax, knowing it was a junker. sailed with a friend, had some fun, dumped it in a 30 mph wind, getting other boat anyway. Actually a lot of the parts I was going to save I am not because I am looking at a nacra, see posts of everyone telling me not to get it in other forum, and most parts won't be good for anything. I have a 2000 17 sport that I overpaid for a few weeks ago but I'm gonna sell that because it's just too damn low capacity. Cables yeah here in fl coast used cables are junk i've broken a forestay and an upper bridle already on the 17 and they really didn't even look that bad. The sails are aftermarket by Super sailmakers in ft lauderdale, not worth much, I actually stapled them to my walls for decoration, all batten pockets ripped or on the way out, etc.

The tramps, wow the tramps, have they gone up in price or what? It seems like a few years ago I remember a hobie 16 tramp being like 150 or 200? from racedaytramps or similar on ebay. But now after my 17 tramp (original light blue) ripped on the first day I had it, I realize that the hobie one is over 600 and even a knock off is about 300, wow.

What I did for now is I took half of the 16 tramp as well as the thin back backpiece which I put along the front bar and rope rigged the rest. Now it doesn't look super awesome and it's not likely the boat would sell well like this, unless they were a real sailor, but here's my explanation. When you're sailing on two wheels and you're nearing the zero point, if your traps are adjusted low enough by the time you get close your sail has essentially lost most of it's wind capacity and it's usually the tramp which pushes you over. por eso I know some racing cats use netting so the wind passes thru, also because the air tunnel between the tramp and water under normal going also must create friction. Also, why this tramp is better is because it gives you a solid back area, which is where realistically you and all your loose ropes are sitting. I hate how the main sheet always has a tendency to sneak through the lacing on most tramps, esp in waves. That can't happen here. This gives kind of a hybrid between a net and tramp system. And even like this I've had no problem rigging and setting sail at sea or near shore. Near shore it's kind of nice being able to stand through the ropes for lifting the main sail.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/8641249994_a7e53f5cea_b.jpg

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 10:57 AM.
  • Stop, please, you're killing me, my sides are splitting from the laughter. this just keeps getting better and better, I guess you have to be a 'REAL' sailor to appreciate all the benefits of your new tramp.

'Your a god damned genius Gump' Lieutenant Dan

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • I think you're right - there is little possibility of your mainsheet falling through that tramp. You do run a strong possibility of having your crew fall through however. Good thing it's a one man boat.

Edited by keschwa on Apr 15, 2013 - 06:51 PM.
  • biscaynecatsailor
    What I did for now is I took half of the 16 tramp as well as the thin back backpiece which I put along the front bar and rope rigged the rest. Now it doesn't look super awesome and it's not likely the boat would sell well like this, unless they were a real sailor, but here's my explanation. When you're sailing on two wheels and you're nearing the zero point, if your traps are adjusted low enough by the time you get close your sail has essentially lost most of it's wind capacity and it's usually the tramp which pushes you over. por eso I know some racing cats use netting so the wind passes thru, also because the air tunnel between the tramp and water under normal going also must create friction. Also, why this tramp is better is because it gives you a solid back area, which is where realistically you and all your loose ropes are sitting. I hate how the main sheet always has a tendency to sneak through the lacing on most tramps, esp in waves. That can't happen here. This gives kind of a hybrid between a net and tramp system. And even like this I've had no problem rigging and setting sail at sea or near shore. Near shore it's kind of nice being able to stand through the ropes for lifting the main sail.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/8641249994_a7e53f5cea_b.jpgEdited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Holy Crap. I just spit beer all over my monitor.
    You're Nucking Futs! I'm sure of it.

--
    Philip
    --
  • looks fine to me
    what could possibly go wrong ?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.