Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 in FLA  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I finally took a few pictures of the boat..

strapless nacra icon_eek
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_4957_zps96fb3957.jpg

Do all of the 5.0/5.7 have the short traveler track or just this early model one? (its an '83)
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_4965_zps08d96905.jpg

Seal it up or let it ride?
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_4968_zpsfc0974bf.jpg

I ordered some new shrouds, but the forestay looks fine. Is that thing on the forestay used to tension it down?
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_4971_zps1459d640.jpg

It must not have too much wrong with it if i am worried over some cigarette burns in the tramp..
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_4963_zps270002c2.jpg

I measured the blades and they seem to be the more common(shorter) ones the boarded boats use... think it'll really have that large of an effect?
  • QuoteThe beam straps on the hulls that all round beam nacras seem to have... this 5.0 doesn't have them, is that something to worry about?

No. My 5.7 ('84) has them, so does the 5.0('88). I used to think that all old gen Nacras used them, but then ran across a 5.0 with orange pinstriping that did not, & that was the factory setup. If you don't have them, it will have a 1/2 moon shaped block inside the beam, with bolts going through. Just make sure those bolts are snug.
    QuoteThere is a decent little void on the mast base casting by the sail track, is yours like that too? How did you go about sealing this primitive spreader setup? Just silicone it up

I'm reading 2 different things here, you mention spreader, along with mast base??? Nacra used several slightly different base castings, one of which left a gap. Have alook at the photos of my 5.7 under "members", I think I have some pictures. Also Gray Amicks 5.2. There is a thread somewhere,(try search) where we discussed the different castings, it had some good photos. I just arrived home from Japan, & am desperately in need of 12 hours sleep. If you don't find th elinks, I'll try to hunt them down & post them.
    QuoteDo you think I can use some old main sheet blocks (upper section only)?

I'm not sure... the beauty of the block in the photo is it's light, thin, & holds the line like bear shiit in a buffalo blanket. I forget what the one from Murray sells for, I think mine is Ronstan, used on the adjustable trap setups, actaully Wolfman gave it to me gratis. They were popular on small mono hull dinghy's as boom vangs. You can probably find a used one somewhere for a beer.

Edited by Edchris177 on Apr 17, 2013 - 11:00 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177Look closely at where the tie bar meets the tiller arm. See the bottom the "U" fitting that holds them together? That is where you want to wrap SS lockwire to prevent that fitting from turning on the bolt.If it does it will lock up your rudders.
    Murrays sells a double "U", for about $55, supposedly to prevent this problem. They can still lock up, just use 50 cents worth of wire, & save the $55 for beer, or a new FX stik.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74464&g2_serialNumber=3

Ed, Can you elaborate on this?
    I got my 1991 Nacra 5.0 late last year and I haven't got on the water yet and would like to learn from others and prevent possible disaster. The U bracket on your picture is mounted horizontally, on mine sits on the top of the tiller bar. My understanding is that when you turn the rudders, that U bracket has to rotate with the cross bar. Where or when is the possible binding?. Should the wire be wrapped over bracket and tiller or cross bar?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I think I got it, wrap araund tiller bar to prevent rotation on that horizontal mounting bolt! icon_eek
    Does anybody had the same problem with bracket mounted on the top of the tiller bar?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • QuoteDo all of the 5.0/5.7 have the short traveler track or just this early model one? (its an '83)

My '84 (5.7) uses that track. The newer 5.0('88) has an integral track that goes the full length...don't worry about it, but DO TIE A STOPPER KNOT IN THE TRAVELER LINE!
    QuoteSeal it up or let it ride?

Seal it with a glob of silicone RFN! Actually, it is no problem, unless you turtle, then my friend, you are f#$cked!
    Quote Is that thing on the forestay used to tension it down?

Yes. That is an expensive bit of kit. I use one on the 5.7, as I leave my boat rigged all summer, save for the mainsail. By pulling the pin & releasing the lever, you dump some tension, that is how the boat is left. When going sailing, pull the lever to tension rig, insert pin, then hoist the rags. If you trailer & set up every day, you don't need it all all.
    QuoteIt must not have too much wrong with it if i am worried over some cigarette burns in the tramp..

It is easy for a hole like that to "grow". Stand your heel on it while raising a mast, you might possibly hear a dreaded ripping sound. Get any canvas or awning maker to sew a patch over it, make the patch big, 10x the size of the hole.
    The boat looks pretty nice, especially if you got it for a Grand. I see no fine cracks around the beam attach points, tramp looks good. I see it is the same as mine, no track for the jib blocks, just the eye strap. Spend $3 & buy the Harken stand up springs. They will keep the jib blocks from banging on the hulls & marking them. You will find that it is a beitch to install the blocks with the springs, McGyver a way to compress the spring while you get the shackle & pin inserted.
    I think I see a pin through the mast base, meaning it is the captive system. This is safer, the mast can't pop off the base while raising/dropping, remember to remove the pin after raising. Look through my album...there is a photo showing why you MUST turn the mast 90* when dropping. If not you WILL lose the dolphin stiker rod & possibly the mast base.
    Those hulls look fine, do not waste another minute making them look pretty, sail it!
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80849&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Apr 17, 2013 - 11:11 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteNo. My 5.7 ('84) has them, so does the 5.0('88). I used to think that all old gen Nacras used them, but then ran across a 5.0 with orange pinstriping that did not, & that was the factory setup. If you don't have them, it will have a 1/2 moon shaped block inside the beam, with bolts going through.

My 91 N5.0 has straps and anti rotation bracket inside the bar. I think you have to take the caps off to see what's inside. If it is just small bracket with 1 bolt that most likely it will need strapping. If there is solid bar assuming with multiple bolts, that may be enough to hold all together.

QuoteDo all of the 5.0/5.7 have the short traveler track or just this early model one? (its an '83)

Mine has longer, the same kind as Ed's.

QuoteIt must not have too much wrong with it if i am worried over some cigarette burns in the tramp..

When you step on it you may make it bigger. I would stich something over that hole.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteDo all of the 5.0/5.7 have the short traveler track or just this early model one? (its an '83)

My '84 (5.7) uses that track. The newer 5.0('88) has an integral track that goes the full length...don't worry about it, but DO TIE A STOPPER KNOT IN THE TRAVELER LINE!
    QuoteSeal it up or let it ride?

Seal it with a glob of silicone RFN! Actually, it is no problem, unless you turtle, then my friend, you are f#$cked!
    Quote Is that thing on the forestay used to tension it down?

Yes. That is an expensive bit of kit. I use one on the 5.7, as I leave my boat rigged all summer, save for the mainsail. By pulling the pin & releasing the lever, you dump some tension, that is how the boat is left. When going sailing, pull the lever to tension rig, insert pin, then hoist the rags. If you trailer & set up every day, you don't need it all all.

It is easy for a hole like that to "grow". Stand your heel on it while raising a mast, you might possibly hear a dreaded ripping sound. Get any canvas or awning maker to sew a patch over it, make the patch big, 10x the size of the hole.
    The boat looks pretty nice, especially if you got it for a Grand. I see no fine cracks around the beam attach points, tramp looks good. I see it is the same as mine, no track for the jib blocks, just the eye strap. Spend $3 & buy the Harken stand up springs. They will keep the jib blocks from banging on the hulls & marking them. You will find that it is a beitch to install the blocks with the springs, McGyver a way to compress the spring while you get the shackle & pin inserted.
    I think I see a pin through the mast base, meaning it is the captive system. This is safer, the mast can't pop off the base while raising/dropping, remember to remove the pin after raising. Look through my album...there is a photo showing why you MUST turn the mast 90* when dropping. If not you WILL lose the dolphin stiker rod & possibly the mast base.
    Those hulls look fine, do not waste another minute making them look pretty, sail it!
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80849&g2_serialNumber=4Edited by Edchris177 on Apr 17, 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Notice that I was an idiot, & turned the mast the wrong way...there was no way to remove the pin(1/4" bolt). I said screw it & went & got the bolt cutters. See how if the mast is not turned, & kept turned to line up the slot, you will break things?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Regarding the lack of beam straps, the piece you are referring to is called the internal beam casting (part#2511).

Regarding the length of traveler track, the earlier boats came with the harken track bolted to the beam. Later models include the track as part of the beam extrusion, therefore, it goes all the way to the end. This pic shows the aluminum track extruded into the beam.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76051&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteAlso curious if it has the correct rudders..

Here is a thread on the different Nacra rudders.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12764

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteAlso curious if it has the correct rudders..

Here is a thread on the different Nacra rudders.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12764

yep, unfortunately it has the wrong rudders. At least they are in really good condition though.

I took a beam cap off just to take a look-see...
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_4994_zps1db53497.jpg

I have been trying to find some albums on beachcats of a 5.0 and i can't say i saw one besides a few random 5.0 pics taken by nacraman57.

Mainly just taking note of the very minor differences between boats during the years. The spreader assembly on some early boats goes through the mast, while some have the more usual raked back spreaders.

Anybody gone through the hassle to fabricate a n5.0NA setup(bridal foil and big jib)? Some pictures on google seem to make you think the boats were sold standard with that setup in different parts of the world.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/n50na_zps613166e1.jpg
  • QuoteEd, Can you elaborate on this?
    I got my 1991 Nacra 5.0 late last year and I haven't got on the water yet and would like to learn from others and prevent possible disaster. The U bracket on your picture is mounted horizontally, on mine sits on the top of the tiller bar. My understanding is that when you turn the rudders, that U bracket has to rotate with the cross bar. Where or when is the possible binding?. Should the wire be wrapped over bracket and tiller or cross bar?

Sorry, I missed this post.
    Mine was originally mounted vertically, you can see the bolt hole if you click on the photo to enlarge it. You are correct that in that case, the fitting needs to rotate as the rudders move.
    There were two problems with that setup. first, the fitting got in the way of the rudder lock down line.
    Second, with a vertical bolt, you have a lever effect. Everytime you work the rudders that bolt is shoved to/fro. It ended up enlarging the hole, & resulted in slop. It also meant the tie bar was 2" higher, than if mounted the other way.
    You are correct, if mounted vertically, it cannot jam, & you don't need the safety wire.

Edited by Edchris177 on Apr 22, 2013 - 08:06 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • matt922
    I have been trying to find some albums on beachcats of a 5.0 and i can't say i saw one besides a few random 5.0 pics taken by nacraman57.

Be a hero, make one with lots of detail pics and rigging tips.

Instructions for creating albums (do it in the technical album) are here in the FAQ
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…/how-do-i-upload-photos/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks Ed, that makes sense. I saw the proximity of the PIV brackets and possibly rudder line jamming or wraping but I haven't thought of lever effect. Will keep close eye on it. Thanks icon_razz

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • QuoteBe a hero, make one with lots of detail pics and rigging tips.

I started a combined one of the 5.0 & the 5.7...just have not got it finished. Hopefully this summer it will appear!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.