Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sand/Beach Tires for Trailer?  Bottom

• Is anyone aware of an option to replace the standard tires/wheels on a cat trailer with wider, fatter, softer tires to enable the cat/trailer to be towed on soft sand. Highway driving isn't really a concern. I have a mile or two to drive from the house to beach entrance/access, and it wouldn't be an issue if a solution meant staying below 35-40mph on the way to the beach. The intent would be to have a second set of tires/wheels and make a swap if I was planning to drive some distance for a weekend, etc. Can any steer me in the right direction? Thanks.
  • Head down to your local ATV shop, you should be able to did something. What size rims and lug pattern do you have now?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM3H325.html
    HTH, Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Those look like great tires. Before you buy make sure they will fit. Might rub inside of hull and/or hit you fenders if you have them. Also need to check the rim offset to make sure your axles will work.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • RicardObenhttp://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM3H325.html
    HTH, Ricardo.

I used to have those rims/tires on my Sportsman trailer. While better than a narrower (~4" wide) tire in the soft sand, they still aren't great. I could be wrong, but I think they were the same size as a golf cart tire (but rated differently, of course). Might be able to find something softer/fatter in that market. As I recall, the wheels/tires were quite pricey, so I'd really want to be sure they'd work well before buying!

An aside for those that might be interested in these wide tires for their primary tire: I never really liked them. One would think that the wider tire would ride better, but they didn't. With all that extra mass, I think they actually needed to be balanced, but they can't be. Then, once they start wearing unevenly, it just gets worse. However, I saw a trailer exactly like mine with (I was told) the smallest regular passenger tires (w/12"? wheels) available on it. They fit well, were rated better, and could be balanced like a "real" tire. I'd go that route before getting the wide 8 inchers. (I just ended up with the narrow 12-inchers).

Edited by rattlenhum on Apr 10, 2013 - 12:07 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.