Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing adventure, Georgia or SC Coast  Bottom

• I'm thinking of doing a three day cruise on the GA or SC coast next month. Camp on the beach or at a park, etc. Can take two cars, so don't have to do round trip. Any suggestions of a realistic itinerary/route?

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • This sounds fun, have you made any plans? I've thought of doing some kind of long multi-day cruise along the Florida Panhandle, maybe even starting from Mississippi or Alabama. How 'bout Ocean Springs, Mississippi to Panama City, Florida? Beautiful beaches all the way.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousThis sounds fun, have you made any plans? I've thought of doing some kind of long multi-day cruise along the Florida Panhandle, maybe even starting from Mississippi or Alabama. How 'bout Ocean Springs, Mississippi to Panama City, Florida? Beautiful beaches all the way.

Consider the Florida 120 Damon. Lots of small boats, many home built. I want to do it in my P18 but it is at a horrible time of year for me. Hopefully gonna make it this year as a crew on a Holder 20 and maybe next time in a few years be able to do it on a cat. I think a P16 did it last year if I recall correctly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fl120/
  • Rider_55
    Consider the Florida 120 Damon. Lots of small boats, many home built. I want to do it in my P18 but it is at a horrible time of year for me. Hopefully gonna make it this year as a crew on a Holder 20 and maybe next time in a few years be able to do it on a cat. I think a P16 did it last year if I recall correctly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fl120/

Facebook groups are extinct, I couldn't find another page. It looks like they used to have www.florida120.com but that is just an advertising page now.

The Google Earth file on the Texas 200 page is still good
    http://texas200.com/florida120-revised.kmz

These are waters I know well, in fact the Florida 120 looks to be a piece of the Round The Island race from Fort Walton Yacht Club except that it takes four days to do what the RTI does non-stop! Would be a nice cruise though and fun to sail around all those slow boats.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Found the current home of the Florida 120, it's a Yahoo Group.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FL120/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I am afraid I don't understand your FB groups are extinct comment Damon. The FB group is active at least for registered users. The admins maintain both the FB and the Yahoo groups with the Yahoo typically used for more technical discussion. The FL 120 started out as an offshoot of the TX 200. It is a bit more accessible and user friendly with a looped route and civilization nearby rather than miles of uninhabited coast.
  • Rider_55I am afraid I don't understand your FB groups are extinct comment Damon. The FB group is active at least for registered users. .

I just meant that Facebook Groups have been dropped by Facebook in favor of Pages, and I couldn't find a Facebook presence for the FL 120. At the time I couldn't get the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/fl120/ to work, but it comes up now. The FL 120 looks to be a really good time in some beautiful waters. The course is actually very challenging for the type of boats that make up most of the fleet.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • We sail our Capricorn in S GA quite a bit. We launch at Jekyll Island and sail to the south end of Cumberland Island which is about 25 miles. Cumberland Island is a National Park and it is possible to land on the beach and camp. You probably need to contact Cumberland Island to find out the rules of camping on the beach, however. Depending on where you land on Cumberland, you could get fresh water from any of the two campgrounds that are near the beach.
    We have camped on Cumberland quite a bit but we have never sailed the boat and camped. It sounds like an adventure as long as you don't get overloaded with camping supplies. Depending on how the wind is blowing, the surf is not too bad. You can continue onto Amelia Island for the next day's sail although we have not done that part of the barrier islands.
    Have fun!

Edited by ericweller on Apr 10, 2013 - 09:09 AM.
  • Thanks for the replies. I have sailed from St Simons to Jekyll Island and back on a day sail. Pulled the boat up on the beach and ate at the Bluefin (?) before returning. Tricky sailing down there with all of the shoals around. Can get a daggerboard or rudder stuck if you are not careful. Will wait on the adventure. Wife and I have decided to take that time and get a few classes for our bareboat certification.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.