Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catalina Island?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

• Does anyone have an island preference? I'll do either, but have been wanting to go to Santa Cruz for a while.

15-16 or 19-20 works for me

Marek- I think you'd be fine going, but Dartman will have a better idea. I might be looking for crew if anyone is interested.

Lance
  • yeah, any suggestions or input more experienced sailors might have is welcome. Crewing may be an option for me although I'd really like to go out on my boat and may try talk an experienced sailor to join me on my P19. I have a good sailing friend but then camping on a trampolin or beach is not everyone's idea of fun...

On another note, I just picked up a GoProHero 3+ (black edition) and am looking for some mounting ideas, any suggestions? I don't think glueing the standard mounts to anything is really an option and after browsing the GoPro site found a couple of roll bar/pole mounts and then also a largerer clamp on an extendable goose neck which looked like it might come in handy.

Also, the 3+ Black was on sale at Costco, if anyone is also interested it is $50 of the normal price plus they throw in an extra battery pack. The flipside is that GoPro just launched their Hero 4+ Black and Silver models. The 4+ Silver is available for the additional $50 minus the extra battery but has some upgraded features and I understand slightly better pic quality from reading some of the reviews. I might end up returning and trading up to the 4+ Silver. Any folks with some input on that?

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I have a contour camera and I mount it to my mountain biking helmet and just wear that. It makes for some good footage.

Lance I am going out this Sat if you would like to hook up let me know.

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • Heading out with Dartman to Tow Harbors this weekend, but the following weekend for sure
  • Hello everyone. So I know this has been talked about for quite some time. I know im a noob to sailing. Only hag had my boat for about 4 months. I say we all get together on a date and really do this. If not to Catalina then Santa Cruz island. Come all you beachcat sailors. icon_biggrin

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • Dartman, his crew and myself are for Santa Cruz. Dartman (Bob) has commitments till the 15th. We are also thinking two nights and three days, but of course others can just stay the weekend. Be prepared for fickle weather this time of year. I've been caught out in high winds with 9ft swells as well as zero wind at night and no flashlight, radio, or other signaling device. Both times were on trips out the the islands. I suggest people read Bill Mattson's articles from his On The Wire days located on this site or maybe out on the web somewhere. Bill is interested in going too.

Anyone who's interested send me an email so we can make it happen.

Lance

lispfx@yahoo(dot)com
  • sounds like spfx/Dartman take off possibly 15./16., 22/23, 29./30. from Channel Island harbor...

a few useful links, e.g. NPS channel island camping info at:

http://www.nps.gov/chis/planyourvisit/camping.htm

and then channel island boating info at:

http://www.nps.gov/chis/planyourvisit/boating.htm

Mattson's page:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/home1/res07lm8/hobie/archives/v5-i1/feature1.htm

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Marek,

Leaving from Ventura Marina is closer and a better angle for the prevailing westerly winds. It's looking like Nov 22-23 or 22-24 for those staying longer. I keep my boat in mast up storage at the marina and could possibly arrange temporary overnight lockup for anyone coming the night before.

Lance
  • I'll have to take a rain check on that one. Enjoy the island and be safe.

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • Im looking forward to this trip. Do we have a head count of who is going?

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • Looks like we may be in on this if it is the weekend of 22 ,will confirm tomorrow

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • I am hoping to do this with Carl.

Just a couple questions for those that have done this trip on a beach cat before...It looks like scorpion is the only place to camp...is this true or is there other options as well. Do they let you sleep on the boat or do you have to stay in the campground?

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • If you guys end up making one of these trips please be sure and take pictures so you can give a report!

Back in the 1990's and early 2000's there were a couple of good dudes named Bill Mattson and Gary Friesen who kind of pioneered the beachcat crossing to the Channel Islands and camping protocols.

Safety of course is a huge issue in the Pacific Ocean, or any open water, but especially the Pacific off Southern California both because of the water temperature and heavy shipping traffic.

I think there are more, but here are two stories about crossings, one by Bill and one by Gary. Hopefully they will inspire you or make you think twice, whatever is appropriate.

Crossing the Santa Barbara Channel on a Mystere 6.0
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…hives/v5-i1/feature1.htm

Anacapa Island
    A Bonus Trip to Close the Season
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ire/catsail/feature1.htm

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Another similar story about Pacific distance sailing.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…day-on-santa-monica-bay/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • And good info from Bill Mattson in this forum topic from 2012

http://www.thebeachcats.c…nc=viewtopic&topic=13363

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I've been in contact with Bill. He suggests Catalina as the better choice this time of year and is emailing me a take with list. I checked historical wind data and he's correct. http://www.wunderground.com/history/ More consistent winds out of the West and maybe even higher average speed for Catalina. Santa Cruz Island plot is highly scattered direction with Westerly picking up in the afternoon iffy. It does show max wind around 100mph for a number of years during November!

As for Santa Cruz camping, sites are 1/4 mile up the valley and since it's off season I don't expect them to care if you camp on your boat or not.
  • just moving up Bill Mattson's posting directly into this thread since it has a lot of MUST-READ info. A few other things that came to my mind mentioned in other postings:

- hand bearing compass
    - anchor
    - trolling motor
    - paddles
    - PVC pipes to roll cat onto the beach that can be stored in hulls

Bill used a SPOT locator so families could track and communicate. Delorme's InreachSE is a little step up that I am considering. Both require either an annual subscription or a slightly more expensive monthly payment (can be turned off or on at will). In his accounts Bill also stresses the importance of planning landing times, watching tides etc. washing up against rocks, preparing for rocky beaches.

Bill Matton's posting from 2012 in response to another request by a cat sailor (shaddo) here:

"I've been beachcat sailing to the Channel Islands for about 10 years. The majority of the trips have been to Santa Cruz Island, and I think I've hit about every land-able beach with trips originating from both Ventura and Santa Barbara. Also a couple of trips to Santa Rosa island, and one unsuccessful attempt from Santa Rosa to San Miguel. Finally, if memory serves, I've done three trips to Catalina. I've never attempted to doing a solo trip.

The fact that you are looking for advice reveals that you are taking this endeavor seriously. It is an aggressive undertaking. I have no idea what your experience and skill level is, offer the following for your information only, and do not mean to either discourage or condone your trip.

All that being said, here is some stuff off the top of my head, in no particular order...

The majority of the trips I've taken have been on Gary Friesen's late, great Mystere 6 meter "Whisk". The last few years, I've been doing them on my Hobie 18. The Mystere was a truck compared to the Hobie in that it had way more carrying capacity. The Hobie 18 is a dog with a 2 man crew, camping gear, and a 4 day supply of food, beverage, supplies. Still both boats have considerably more bow buoyancy than the Hobie 16.

Your main focus should be keeping the weight down. If you are going solo, you've already shed 100+ lbs. Also, with food and water available on the island, you won't have to carry as much. I'm not sure I would attempt a full blown camping trip on a H16 to the other islands which are primitive. Depending on your signaling gear, you'll want at least enough food and water to ration over as much time as you think you could possibly be stranded at sea or on a remote part of the island if you have an equipment failure.

Weather; Watch it closely. If a front is in the area, or has recently passed through, you run the risk of too much wind or too little. A trip last fall on the H18 after a storm front came though resulted in a 12 hour crossing, an island landing in the dark, and a $700+ towing bill on the way home. Which reminds me: Consider a BoatUS membership.

You should be heavy weather savvy and know the options available on your boat. For example, if you are not familiar with traveling out, and sheeting IN the Hobie 16 mainsail to de-power it, you need more practice in heavy air. I was not familiar with this concept back in the mid ninties when I entered the Milt Ingram race in 30+ knots on a H16, and got a ride home from the CG. These days, I'm certain I would have gotten back on my own.

The H16 is an overpowered boat. If you do not have reef points and a way to reef your mainsail, consider having a sailmaker install them, and come up with a reefing system. You cannot furl your jib, which is a disadvantage. You've got the option of lowering your main and sailing on jib alone. Lowering the main on a H16 at sea would be challenging, especially in the conditions that would warrant it.

Do not attempt the crossing unless you can right the boat yourself. You'll need a water bag, righting pole, or Solo~Right. In very heavy wind and waves, the rules change on righting a Hobie 16. I have more details on that if you need them.

If your standing rigging is more than 3 years old, replace it.

Go over your boat carefully to make sure your equipment is sound.

Decide what might break and bring appropriate tools if reasonable.

Coordinate your trip with the tides, if possible. Pick a date with relatively small variations in the tide levels. Land at a high tide level, ideally a higher tide than what will occur overnight. Depart at a high tide level. Not a requirement, but will make your life easier in not having to move the boat so much.

There are portable roller solutions out there, one being boat fenders on the ends of pipe. However, I have found the best and most compact solution are 2 ft long pieces of 3" black ABS pipe. These can be laid down on the sand and used as skids to slid your hulls over. Have at least four of them, two for each side to relay their positions as you move your boat up the beach. If you have deck ports, they may fit inside your hulls.

Face the fact that you may be beating up your boat. If it's a pristine racing boat, and you want to keep it that way, an island trip isn't a good idea.

At the very least, wear a wetsuit with some sort of spray suit over it to keep the wind off you. Cheap raincoats work. The best option: A quality breathable drysuit worn over fleece.

My own gear list (without the camping gear), not necessarily all inclusive:

- Type III PFD (NOT inflatable).

- Trap Harness

- Life line connected to a jack line that runs across the trampoline allowing me to tack without unclipping

- At least one VHF (I carry 3, one per man on PFDs and a spare on the boat)

- A cell phone

- At least one GPS (I carry 2)

- A personal EPIRB attached to PFD

- A SPOT locator with position reporting subscription.

- Signal light clipped to PFD, that can also be used as a flashlight.

- At least one flashlight in addition to above

- A whistle attached to PFD

- Signal mirror. (A CD works well)

- Flares (Aerial worn on person, handheld on boat)

- An emergency blanket (one of those small silver mylar ones)

- A First Aid Kit, including Bonine or some other form of Anti-vert

- Sunscreen

- A printed way point list with coordinates in case of GPS data loss.

- A knife, attached to PFD

- Cash and ID

- A Nav Chart

- A tide chart

- Water / Food

- Extra zip lock bag

- Write a very detailed float plan. Examples here: www.catsail.com/floatplans

- After your trip, consider documenting it. Examples here: www.catsail.com/cinp

Finally, in regard to having other boats accompany you, this is not as positive a precaution as it sounds. On multi-boat trips to Catalina, I was surprised at how easily the other boats can become out of sight, even in clear weather. And if the choice of going with other boats is safety, think it over. If conditions get really nasty, everyone else may be in just as much trouble as you. And any boat that is perceived to be missing could lead all the other boats to stay in rough conditions to try to find them. The trade off for getting assistance from other boats is that you may be required to provide it yourself. And a beach catamaran makes for a piss-poor rough seas rescue vessel, in my opinon. I'm not dead set against the idea. I'm just pointing out that there downsides as well as benefits.

Sorry I'm so wordy.

Hope this all helps somewhat. Contact me at bill(dot)mattson(at)verizon(dot)net if you want more info, or want to chat about it.

Bill
    "

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Based on historical wind data and discussing with some of us going, it's looking like Catalina is the best choice. If anyone would prefer Santa Cruz please post it here sooner than later.

The Two Harbors campsite does fill-up at times and as I found out this past weekend the cost is $21 per person as opposed to per site. I've read before that they will allow camping on your boat, but not next to it and you still have to pay something to somebody.

It's a totally different feel compared to Santa Cruz as it's day trip destination for many. Shops, Rentals, General Store, Restaurant, Burgers, etc.

Warm water and decent snorkeling too

Video from last weekend- XSsailing.com
  • Personally I would prefer Santa Cruz leaving from Ventura, they have a campground at scorpion,you may be able to sleep on your boat on the beach.It is a shorter distance we could sail directly there with no side trips.Leaving around mid morning to let the breeze come up.I believe trying to cram too much into a first trip is not the way to go.We would do an overnight trip and return sunday.It appears most of the boats that may want to go are in the 18 \19 ft range.Sounds like there is enough people interested in going to be able to carry the boats up past the hightide mark.
    Needless to say everything is utterly dependent on the weather

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.