Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H17 rigging issue, shrouds/forestay too long?  Bottom

• Just got a "ready to sail" 17 sport, went to rig it and found I was a few pins short, everything else seemed to check out, not a big deal. But after stepping the mast I found that even with both shrouds and forestay as far down as they could go the mast is raked too far back and even still the shrouds have plenty too much slack. No obvious problems like chained clevises at tang or alternate upper hole that could be used in the tang. Besides I would only understand that if I was an inch or two at most too loose. But this is a good 5-6 inches too much. Never used a 17, still a chance I made an obvious error but it not looking too likely. Will post pics in a few.
  • 1st thing, measure shrouds, you did mention that you have the H17 Sport, I think that comes with a furling jib?

http://www.docstoc.com/do…828/Hobie-Cat-Wire-Guide
  • Also measure the length of the mast, it should be 27'

http://www.hcana.hobiecla…bie17_specifications.htm
  • Should this really be problem? How could it have the wrong mast. Yes it's a roller furler
  • I would think wrong (maybe h18) shrouds would be more likely.
  • Well the forestay I mean. That's the problem. I mean Im sure I can find a way to Johnson rig it but I don't want to have to do that. I see there seems to be no other adjusemt such as with the spreader bar. Could I just replace that with h16 cables which would bring it down a bit. Again that would be a ridicous way to have to solve it. God these boats are more work than work.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Mar 31, 2013 - 10:17 PM.
  • If you have a tape measure this should sort where your problem lies.

Item Material Finish Length

HOBIE 17
    Forestay Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 10' 3 1/4"
    Bridle Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 10' 3 1/4"
    Shroud Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 18' 11"
    Trapwire Thimble, stops and handles 3/32 1x19 16' 8 1/2"

HOBIE 17 SPORT
    Pigtail Thimble both ends wI swivel 5/32 1 x19 10 3/8" *
    Lower Forestay Fork and eye 5/32 lx19 17' 2 1/2"
    Shroud Thimble both ends 1/8 1 x19 18' 11" (4/95)
    Bridle Thimble both ends 1/8 1 x19 3’ 1 3/4”
    Jib Halyard D-shackle, thimble 1/16 7x7 17' 6"
    Trapwires Thimble, stops and handles 3/32 1x19 16' 8 1/2"

These boats are pretty simple and easy if you have the right length wires.

Tape all ring dings.
  • Catsailor, don't get too despondent, remember, it's not your fault. By now you have realized that there are a lot of people out there who are part-time sailors and have no idea how to rig a cat correctly, nor do they take the time to do research. Like BigWhoop says, all you have to do is measure existing shrouds, take all 3 stays outside with 2 screwdrivers, pin screwdriver through thimble on 1 end to ground, pull stay (cable) tight and do same again with 2nd screwdriver through 2nd thimble, this is know as "pull to pull" measurement. Measure both side stays in this manner and compare to to above measurement, should measure 18' 11".

The forestay comes in 3 parts, upper fore-stay or "pigtail" with swivel attached to lower end - 10 3/8 inches
    Lower fore-stay - 17ft 2.5 inches
    And then there is the furler which should look like this:-

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/50-61900000.jpg

notice that the furler comes with it's own built-in 3 hole stay adjuster.

If all the stays measure good (within 1/2 inch), and the mast measures good at 27', the bridle wires measure good at 3 ft 1 3/4 inches, next place to look is the mast tang, does it look like it has been moved, look for previous rivet holes and discoloration which would indicate previous location.

If mast tang is good, next place to check would be the mast ball, the ball sits on top of the dolphin striker rod which slots through the front crossbeam, the ball should be 4" - 6" above the crossbeam. If the ball is sitting on the crossbeam, the mast would have dropped down making the stays seem too long, it should be adjusted.

http://static.hobiecat.co…tal_assets/H17_Parts.pdf

Keep in mind that the shrouds (2 side-stays and fore-stay) make a tripod "rig" and the rig should be tight enough that if your cat was to turn turtle in the water, the mast would stay attached to the ball.

HTH, keep us posted

R

Edited by the-renovator on Apr 01, 2013 - 10:24 AM.
  • Actually the problem should be solved the seller (doesn't seem to be just a weekend sailor) turns out has another set of rigging for the boat including two more trap lines that they are sending me, as well as extra pins and shackles. I just took a look at the tang. There is a third hole above the two being used where I could put the main shackle but I don't want to do it because then the shackle will be constantly trying to dig into the leading edge of the tang, if you follow.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8610650367_a9988e6160_b.jpg

If worse comes to worse say the other set is the same As this one, I suposse I could put just the forestay independently in the top tang hole with its own shackle so it will at least not dig as much as it would with all three because the shrouds are luckily not too long as I had them in the loosest setting when stepping the mast and it did not pass over center. The shrouds do not need to be shortened.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 01, 2013 - 04:55 PM.
  • The 3rd hole should be used like so:- take the pin out of the bell shackle, insert the end of the shackle through the large hole, rotate ends upwards towards the upper hole on tang untill all 3 holes line up, install thimble ends of trap wires one on each side of the mast tang, on the bell shackle, insert shackle pin through shackle end, through hole in tang and screw into opposite threaded end of shackle, tighten with pliers.

http://static.hobiecat.co…ssets/H17SportManual.pdf

look at page 5

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.