Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Using a hobie 18 mast on a prindle 18-2  Bottom

• Hi I recently acquired a set of prindle 18-2 hulls, rudders and cross bars. I also have a hobie 18 mast and boom. Is there anything I should know about trying to build this franken-boat? Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks
    -Ben
  • I imagine they are a similar length. Your gonna have a small pickle with the mast base. What is your location? I have a p19 mast for sale.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Although the mast base may work, the rigging and sails would be a concern
  • Bacho:
    I am in Hilo Hawaii; so shipping costs make getting any mast that isn't already on the island a non option.

The mast bases are a little different; my plan is to either put a hobie 18 mast bearing kit on the prindle 18-2 from the hobie 18 on to the prindle 18 mast step casting or to install a hobie 18 mast step casting on to the prindle 18-2 cross bar.

Hullflyer:
    What issue do you expect could come up with rigging? I assume the only issue would be having to get custom length shrouds and stays since its not quite a hobie or prindle. Also what kind of issue might I run across if I stuck with hobie sails. I cant see how the main would be an issue since it would only "see" a hobie mast and boom. I guess the jib could be an issue with the hobie and prindles having different bridle designs.

Thanks for the input
    -Ben
  • Ben,

The Prindle 18 ( A-symetrical hulls ) has the same mast as the P18-2,
    maybe you could trade-in the H18 mast, for a P 18 mast.
    Saves a lot trouble regarding mast-base and rigging.

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • ~~ Hey Ben... It ain't gonna work. Get a Prindle mast. Hobie masts are NOT interchangable. There all different in size,shape and mast base... I have a 17 & 18 Hobie and they're different. Maybe I could take that 18 off yer hands ??? Where ya live ??

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I think you can make it work.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • The prindle 18 main sail is a good SIZE match for the hobie 18 main (can't speak to the jibs though.. but could make it work..)... I have both sails and have laid them atop eachother in the yard ( to see if ever I want to "save" my hobie sail or class events, and use the prindle sail when dogs blow off chains or campign trips, etc... and they're almost identical in size/shape.

I'm also confident the masts are similiar in size, but you'd have to change mast bases, and mast heads to match your boat, and the way whatever sail you use hooks up top..

By far this do-able.

Edited by robpatt on Mar 23, 2013 - 08:29 PM.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I am slowly pushing a head with the project with some uncertainty; but I will report the findings so far.

The original plan of moving the ball from and mast base from the H18 to the P18-2 is a no go the H18 has (in my opinion) a backwards front cross bar such that the trampoline bolt rope is inserted at the front of the boat then the tramp warps under the cross bar. So while the H18 and P18-2 cross bars seem to have very similar cross sections; the mast step base from the H18 has to be installed backward to match the curve of the P18-2 cross bar. This also puts the mast step in the wrong location for the P18-2 dolphin striker.

So at this point the plan is to try and stick a P16 (I have never seen the boat this came off of but from what I read the only thing it can be is a P16; it is ~1ft shorter then a H18 mast and has a prindle like mast base), mast base into the H18 mast. If it fits this tightly I think all of the problems are solved.

Or to attempt to modify the P18-2 mast step to accept a Hobie mast hinge. It looks like to do this we need to machine a couple parts. Sketch of the plan is to use a H18 dolphin striker (or similar steel bar) and add cut threads into the top of it such that it threads into the P18-2 mast step from below, we would then cut off the H18 mast step to have a flat bottom which would be installed on top the P18-2 dolphin striker

I really hope we can get away with just swapping the mast bases it sounds like so much less work. And so far visual inspections with the mast laying next to each other and matching H18 mast hinge to the P18 mast base seem to confirm they are either the same size or very close. I really hope we get lucky on this. And I suppose worst possible case if nothing else works; we can put the P16 mast back together and use smaller or square top sails.

I will update more as things progress.

Cheers
    -Ben
  • this is a lot easier than it first seams. the masts should be similar enough in diameter and shape so drill out the 3 rivets (3/16 bit and stainless steel rivets most likely) that hold the mast bases on and you can swap them out no problem. put the hobie base on the prindle mast and you will never have to turn your mast 90 sideways to raise and lower it again. since boat width is the same, check where th wires hook to the mast, should be close to the same and boat width being the same (8ft) your existing side stays MIGHT fit. You can also take the mast tang off you other mast and attach it to the same height of the other mast so your existing wires work. might need to adjust or replace your forestay especially if you have a furler but other than that, it should be a piece of cake :)

oh yeah, be sure to tip your mast up while the base is off so you dont have to listen to crap rattling around inside any more when raised and lowered LOL and get some 5200 to seal up the base again. Don't go getting any crazy ideas about putting foam or anything else in there either...
  • PDS624this is a lot easier than it first seams. the masts should be similar enough in diameter and shape so drill out the 3 rivets (3/16 bit and stainless steel rivets most likely) that hold the mast bases on and you can swap them out no problem. put the hobie base on the prindle mast and you will never have to turn your mast 90 sideways to raise and lower it again.

I'd be really surprised to find out that this is true.

The Nacra and prindle mast extrusions are 1cm different in circumference IIRC, so there is no way the bases will interchange, and those came from the same company.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.