Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Taking the Plunge Hobie Getaway  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Good stuff. Advice: if at all possible don't involve your wife in setting up the boat at first. Until you really get it down it's going to take a while and be the source of arguments.

Ideally, have the boat ready to push off the beach, sails up, when she arrives. So all she has to do is slip on the cool new well fitting womens style PFD you have bought her and get on the boat for a pleasant sail in 5 - 10 mph of wind.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • BEST ADVICE EVER GIVEN ON THIS SITE.

I hear couples argue all the time during rigging.

I lost many friends and girlfriends my first decade sailing cause i yelled a lot. now i just chillax and grin as my boat is exploding into a fiery death

QuoteGood stuff. Advice: if at all possible don't involve your wife in setting up the boat at first. Until you really get it down it's going to take a while and be the source of arguments.

Ideally, have the boat ready to push off the beach, sails up, when she arrives. So all she has to do is slip on the cool new well fitting womens style PFD you have bought her and get on the boat for a pleasant sail in 5 - 10 mph of wind

Edited by MN3 on Mar 21, 2013 - 02:24 PM.
  • Too good!!
    I was wondering what key words were used to get her to say yes, but all that was needed was a translation from female to male language: "you have lost your mind" = "Yes".

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • I agree that Damon's advice is perfect advise. You don't want the first impression to be a 1-2 hour stressful time while melting in the sun in a parking lot. At a minimum have a beach near the launch area and send them to the lake to relax with grandkids etc. You might so try rigging the boat at your house a few times to get the hang of it.

Welcome to the club and hope you got the wings and front trampoline on your new getaway. Those are nice features for family sailing with that boat.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteBEST ADVICE EVER GIVEN ON THIS SITE.

I hear couples argue all the time during rigging.

I lost many friends and girlfriends my first decade sailing cause i yelled a lot. now i just chillax and grin as my boat is exploding into a fiery death

QuoteGood stuff. Advice: if at all possible don't involve your wife in setting up the boat at first. Until you really get it down it's going to take a while and be the source of arguments.

Ideally, have the boat ready to push off the beach, sails up, when she arrives. So all she has to do is slip on the cool new well fitting womens style PFD you have bought her and get on the boat for a pleasant sail in 5 - 10 mph of wind

+1

This is exactly what I do now. I rig the boat solo and let my wife and daughter to go and do their things.

On the top of this, I have advice on my own. Get your wife really nice sailing gear. This would be a PDF, wet suit, splash jacket, etc. Don't forget about the footwear, a hut (must stay on your head in a heavy wind), and sunglasses. All the gear needs to be not only functional, but it MUST BE stylish, and very comfortable. Look for a a good content of pink, fancy patterns, etc. Try to spend as much money on this staff as possible. Take your wife shopping and go nuts... Trust me, it will be a wise investment, you will not regret.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • What the ??? Thanks for all the wise advice. Nothing like benefitting from another's learning experience. hee hee. Ok...so maybe you guys should point me to some sites that carry all of this Sailing Attire. Seriously, I'd hate to show up the first day on the new Getway looking like some hillbilly or total dork. That would be the end of the sailing and the Cat would be up on E-Bay.

My daughter and i were talking on the phone and I was telling her about the need for some fun hobby for her Mother and I. she sent a Top Ten List of Fun things to do for couples. Sailboating was tucked in there around #6. Good selling point....and added benefit of not coming from ME like I was pushing the idea too much.

She's already on Weight Wathchers OnLine getting down to swimsuit weight for our trip to Gulf Shores with the family in late July. I'm hoping I'm good enough at sailing I can rent one down there and have some fun.

Again, thanks for the advice. I really need to start checking out the boat wear....I thought all I needed were my swim trunks and a life jacket. What ever was I thinking.
  • Lifejacket- Extrasport Chica. Designed for female kayakers (extra room in the chest) very comfortable for guys also.
    Splash top - check Apsltd.com. Have the Henry Loyde tops on clearance, not pink but good yellows and reds for her and you.
    Wetsuit- check NRSweb.com. Again a paddling focused site but really nice stuff. I like the farmer John/Jane suits without arms, then use your splash top over it.

I would consider wetsuit optional unless she is always cold. But splash top is critical to happiness if at all cool on the water. Also find neoprene gloves and booties for her.

You should also get sailing gloves. Harken or Ronstad make good gloves, I like 3/4 finger ones.

But as someone said, taking her shopping might have more impact then online ordering. Check a paddling shop or REI if you have one near you.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteI'm going to pay the $ 125.00/hr fee to a private instructor

Gollee, for that kinda money I drive over to Carlyle and give you lessons no worries mate........ icon_biggrin

But don't let them city slickers snow you, them boys think they must look good sailin' but theys just look like stylin pimps....... icon_lol

A pair of board shorts (we call em baggies short for baggy swim trunks), a cheap pair of sunglasses (cause you gonna loose em in the water), camo baseball hat to keep the sun out of the eyes, and a pair of water shoes with rubber soles (Walmart Special), 'n maybe some mechanics gloves to save the soft girly hands and you good to go sailin..... icon_cool
  • lmao. smfinley and the -renovator...diametrically opposed views on attire. I'm going with smfinley's suggestion for her, and renovator's for mine. That way, everybody's happy!
  • A really nice pic of your woman on your boat goes a long way too. My GF on my H16 at Juanna's. She loves it now.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/DSCF5695_zps55c479e1.jpg

PS. We had a great time and got timeless photo's out of the regatta. I took this from a waterproof cam while swimming close by :) She's not scared of going fast through 3' waves with a 20 mph breeze either ;)

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • fxloop....That is a great photo. I've been really impressed with the photo quality of my GoProHero2. We've gotten some amazing photos in the water in the pool videoing the grandkids. Can't wait to mount it on the Getaway. After seeing that picture. I'm ready
    to get in the water.....but 19 degrees this morning. Bummer.
  • You can (and should) go cheap with many things but a good quality life jacket, trap harness, and gloves are a must. If your life jackets are not comfortable you may not wear them all the time and then they are useless. Good sailing gloves are also a must. I personally wear these http://www.westmarine.com…Num=51074&classNum=51075 and have historically gotten about 20 days of hard sailing use (racing 4+ hrs each day) out of them. Keep them dry between uses. Cheap sunglasses are also a must as you will loose them often. I usually have the guys I work with save their dark tinted safety glasses for me when they get a little scratched up. They keep me in a ready supply of glasses for me and my crew.
  • QuoteI'm ready
    to get in the water.....but 19 degrees this morning. Bummer.

Water temperature is the key. You always need to be prepared to survive in case you get capsized. This is important for Spring sailing, because water temperature always trails behind air temperature.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Is it really necessary to get a trap harness? I was planning on using the wings and forgoing any trap activities and sailing in light winds initially. Something about a boat on one hull, capsizing, and being wired to an overturning boat gives me pause. I doubt we'll be doing too much early spring sailing but rather mostly in the heat of summer. The words surviving and capsizing in the same sentence ...well, that pretty much tells me I'll be sailing like an "old man" most of the time.
  • If you are only sailing in the heat of summer you only need a good lifejacket (comfortable), a swim suit and sunglasses. Trap harness is optional, I would wait a season or two until you are comfortable with the boat. Your grandkids and kids will enjoy them.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • db51Is it really necessary to get a trap harness? I was planning on using the wings and forgoing any trap activities and sailing in light winds initially. Something about a boat on one hull, capsizing, and being wired to an overturning boat gives me pause. I doubt we'll be doing too much early spring sailing but rather mostly in the heat of summer. The words surviving and capsizing in the same sentence ...well, that pretty much tells me I'll be sailing like an "old man" most of the time.

No need to rig trap wires on your Getaway the way you plan to sail, when you get more comfortable and proficient you might want to but maybe not. I don't even have trap wires rigged on my Hobie 18 anymore because I have wings and plenty of weight to hold the boat down without them getting in the way.

On the PFD issue I would highly recommend getting the (relatively expensive) kayak style PFD's, you will be a lot more comfortable and have a greater range of motion. Lot's of newbies make the mistake of grabbing a "ski vest" style "life jacket" off the shelf at wall-mart and then can't stand to wear it in the heat of the summer.

The other gear (besides gloves) that I insist on is shoes, in this case you can use the cheap "water sock" type shoes available lots of places, unless you have size 16 feet like I do then it's a little harder to find them.

Some people sail barefoot all the time but for me there are too many ways to hurt/cut feet on the beach and on the boat.

Don't take the horror stories you hear too much to heart, "bad times make good stories" is a a truism, so you don't hear about the 95% good times.

Get your wife something like these from Solquist and Kokatat.

http://www.stohlquist.com/images/stories/Betsea/betsea_pnkblk_front.jpg http://kokatat.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/s/msf-msfit-pfd-2_2.jpg

Kids PFD's
    http://www.stohlquist.com…w=article&id=6&Itemid=73

Womens gear
    http://kokatat.com/gender/womens.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Just an update. Went to St. Louis for my grandson's Baptism Sunday. Saturday was beautiful and 58 degrees. The son-in-law and 8 year old grandson went with me to St. Louis Sail and Paddle to look at the boat and gather some information. Really nice folks there at the place and they were very helpful. Shop manager came out and went through rigging and answered plenty of questions.

I really liked the looks of the boat in person. They had a Hobie 16 set up right next to it. SWEET! lol. The Getway looks like the perfect boat for us, plenty of room and rugged. The hulls looked indestructible, but that 16 was sleek and sexy!

The Grandson seemed pretty much ready to go. He couldn't figure out why we weren't hooking it to the F250 and pulling it home.
    Wife seems to be ready for the adventure as well. We took some videos and sales brochures to her....her only question was "How much does it cost?" lol.. What the ???? Can you really put a price on that kind of entertainment and bonding?

Her eyes lit up when I told her she could personally keep the $5K difference between the Hobie set-up and the bass boad I just sold to use at her discretion.

I'm wiring the money on Monday but told them I would be picking it up probably near the end of April or May. I left St. Louis at noon in a blizzard with 12" of wet heavy snow on the ground. Just got home to 8-10" here.

Take care and thank you for all the infomation, encouragement, warnings,, and links.

Dave
  • This is depressing. Our spring weather SUCKS down here. By now we should normally have at least half our crops planted. Haven't even started. COLD. RAIN every other DAY! Flash Flooding! No end in sight. We'll be luck to get started by late May which isn't good. In fact, I'm so down in the dumps I'm having second thoughts about the Hobie Getaway. Hard to get enthused about sailing when the nightime temps for the next week could be in the 30's.

I shouldn't be whining....but I am a farmer. It could be snowing.

Instead of sailing, my guess I'll be sitting in a tractor planting until late July.

Edited by db51 on Apr 28, 2013 - 01:24 PM.
  • buy a cheap boat and get out a few times this year anyway...no better time than the present to get started. that will get your mojo working!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • You are probably right. I don't think the "family sailing" is going to be happening. The wife and I probably would have time to take it out a few times. My guess is it will be some solo sailing for starters. Have been looking this one over in the classified....distance is the biggest drawback.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…-new-hobie-14-turbo.html

Edited by db51 on Apr 28, 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.