Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Launching Hobie 16 solo w/ beachwheels  Bottom

• I recently acquired a hobie 16 which has a pair of beach wheels. Is it possible pull the boat off the trailer and put it on beach wheels and move it down the sand to the water alone. I tried this last weekend and it was very difficult (felt nearly impossible for one person to do), any secrets? is it possible to get the boat back onto the trailer alone? I am trying to decide if it is possible to do it alone the beach wheel route or if I will have to resort to using the hoist at the nearby dock to drop the boat in the water, if that will be an easier route when alone. HELLLLPPPP!!!!

-Happy Sailing
  • BALANCE is the key.. Most adults, male or frmale (femails are My Choice) can roll a 16 on wheels nicely if it is balanced and you are not rolling on a steep rough driveway. Got help getting up the mast??? Use her !! (him in a pinch)... Storing it mast up???.. Find a hottie nearby that needs a beer.. Anywhere in the area of missippie, call Coastrat. He always has extra hotties, some with a few extra pounds like he has so it is no sweat. .. Secure the (or install ropes) on the ends of the wheel axels to secure to the shroud anchor in the hulls mid ships.. Bingo.. 300 lbs is easy.. Ski hill No way.. smooth gradual incline.. NO Sweat.. Check out the forums here.. Lots of tip for the wheels.. (None on the hotties, sorry..) Remember.. Hotties are always welcome at the end of the day too.. Ask Coastrat.. He knows.. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I use wheels on both boats. Loosely tie the wheels to the back of the trailer, slide the boat so the wheels are at the shrouds and then tie the wheels to the boat. The boat will then roll on to the wheels and off the trailer. Loading is the same wheels on and then park it by the trailer.

The the other addition/option is a winch on the trailer, and a block on the rear cross bar on the trailer. Run the winch line around the front cross bar to pull on the trailer. Run it through the block and then to the front cross bar to pull off the trailer. We have a local lady sailor that does it this way. There is no way she could load or unload it alone. Sailing alone is no problem for her but loading the boat is tough. I hope this all makes sense, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Balance is the key If you can manage the boat on wheels ( Tie the ropes on the end of the axel on the wheels to the shrowds or chainplates to secure and balance the boat on the wheels. Pratice at home by rolling it with the wheels).. you should be OK. Got help stepping the mast??.. Have a beer for them and get some help to the water.. Launching from a pier?? Take some scrap carpet to slide the hulls on.. Put the stern in first.. Pier launching is tough by your self.. Some poor spectator with no clue is OK. For me, the worst in coming in at the end of the day.. That is why I try to sail with friends.. H

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • You haven't stated which beach wheels you have---makes a big difference. Down in La Paz I have a separate pair of wheels with a 5/8" axle going thru 8" buoy balls with a stainless V shaped tray that snugs in the assymetrical hulls. One for each hull & easy to fit under hull. They're barely OK alone, but easy for my 17 yr old crew to carry back to beach. Tiger Tracs are large polyethelene wheels (yellow or blue) with 2" eight foot long stainless bar going thru. Rolls easier but harder to get under the boat alone. Best are Cat Tracks with big smooth rubber tires, but pricey at over $500 with frt. Pete
  • I have the cat trax with the black rubber wheels. Once the boat is on them I think I will be able to manage. The hardest part seems like it will be pulling the boat off the trailer as well as putting it back on the trailer.
  • +1 Sailing with a friend. Have a cooler stocked with beer handy, share generously and It will be a miracle how easy launching the boat is.
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • correct-o-mundo hal baby...i just back up and release my beauty on a wave of hotties swimming in ice cold beer!!!....WHOOOOSH! then we ready. wheels arn't as much fun..

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I have beach wheels with black rubber tractor tread wheels and regularly launch solo. The softness of the sand is the issue for me, hard pack and she rolls quite easily. Pulling the boat off the trailer I grab the tramp lacing put 1 foot on the trailer and push. Once moving I pull it off keeping in mind not to let rudders dig in to the ground. Step the mast. Park. Put beach wheels in front of boat, raise bow pushing up on the bridle wire. Use your foot to kick wheels under hulls. Lift at the dolphin striker and use a foot to kick the wheels to the balance point. The line on my beach wheels is 1/2"(thick), I pull it up around the outside hull and wrap it between the dolphin striker and casting and tie off. Facing forward I pull the bridle wire down behind my head so it rests on the back of my neck. Wrap arms over and walk forward. I like to set the wheels so that when I start moving some of the weight of the boat is on my shoulders. If you have to keep pulling down on the bridle to control the boat you are increasing your work load. Kinda like the trailer 10% of the weight should be on the tongue.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.