Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gel-coat vs Painting  Bottom

• There has been lots of discussion about painting and I have tryed to read all I could find and have painted and repainted a few cats already, but I am thinking about doing a getcoat job on my N5.2.

I have not worked with gelcoat and would like any advise you would think appropriate for someone new to the process or thoughts you would just like to offer.

Also thinking about removing the center pole to make the deck/tramp area flat and less cumbersome.
    Pros & cons?

Thanks in advance icon_cool

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • there is a member here that i can't remember his username but his name is kenny boudreaux...he sells fiberglass sail boxes here on this site. he was telling me last summer about a product you mix 50/50 with your activated gelcoat and spray through a conventional sprayer. i wish i had that conversation a few years earlier when i was asking the same question- i ended up painting. he sold damon his h18 so i know damon could hook you up with him to get that product name. good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • http://sailboxes.com/

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • coastratthere is a member here that i can't remember his username but his name is kenny boudreaux...he sells fiberglass sail boxes here on this site. he was telling me last summer about a product you mix 50/50 with your activated gelcoat and spray through a conventional sprayer. i wish i had that conversation a few years earlier when i was asking the same question- i ended up painting. he sold damon his h18 so i know damon could hook you up with him to get that product name. good luck!

duratec
  • Gel coat rules!
    I applied the stuff after extensive repairs at the start of last season, no additives and just using a roller. Sure I got some orange peel effect, but at least it was shiny new orange peel which I knew would be unavoidable using a roller.

It was my first time using the stuff and I was very satisfied with the results on this old '5.2. Maybe not a great idea for a new and / or very valuable boat, but the durability is phenomenal and the color difference with the original is almost not there after a good season of (ab)use. I love the fact that I didn't have to wait forever for the paint to dry between layers and harden, the boat was sailing the next day! Did I mention it is cheap! I got some from a repair business, they filled up some glass jars from a tank of their stuff, so yours may be more expensive...

I even applied over some well-hardened and rough-sanded epoxy repairs and the gel coat has not let go, even after I applied and removed anti-skid tape on some smaller areas! Removing the tape had me sweating though!

As far as the center bar is concerned, I say just chuck it. You don't really need it and it just gets in the way. If your tramp has foot straps, they are in a much better place anyway. A new tramp without a tunnel is easier to make (like I did) or cheaper to buy (but not that much cheaper). Just remember to fix the forward cross-beam to the straps using some big rivets (2 per strap at approx. 10 and 2 o'clock). That will prevent it from rotating due to the forces acting on the mast base.

Good luck and have fun!
    Dennis
  • I went through the same questions. After hearing a lot of opinions on it, I ended up going with Brightside paint - believing the opinions that it would be cheaper and easier than gelcoat, although understanding it wouldn't last as long.

Turns out, painting was pretty easy and looked really good - but was definitely more expensive than what I would have paid for the roll-able gelcoat I was looking at. In retrospect, I wish I would have tried the gelcoat.

Here's the write-up:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/13621/start/0
  • Thanks guys for all the input! I am leaning towards the GEL COAT since the hulls have not been painted already. I like the idea of rolling or spraying on several thin coats.

Dennis when you did your boat did you use the "max gpe gelcoat" the-renovator noted on Ebay? or did you use something else. Can I send you a PM with more question?

Thanks again to ALL

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I used something else but I got it from a repair yard and I know it was thinned to a workable consistency with styrene. They even gave me a bottle of styrene and some paraffin? wax so I could put that through the last layer to get it to harden.
    Sure, you can send me a PM with more Q's if you like.
  • Bob the-renovator thanks for the U-tube clips and product info,

have you had a chance to use the product listed on Ebay? how did it work for you?

Thanks

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.