Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Swivel Cleat  Bottom

• Anyone replace this? I tried to take mine off but out of the 3 screws that hold it down, one is stuck so I guess I'll try liquid wrench. Is it just the 3 screws or is it more involved than that. The cleat is old and also it seems bent down a bit so its hard to snap the sheet in and out of the cleat and doesn't rotate well nor does holds the main sheet that well because the teeth barely hinge even after a good lube.

--
    Ed Lavin
    Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
    --
  • What kind of boat? Please add your boat type and location to your signature, helps answer questions and get to know each other. (Thanks for having your name in your signature)

Is your swivel like this one?
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…240-cam-swivel-base.html

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/4/harken-cam-240-1.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • There are only two screws that hold the swivel cleat to the rear beam of a Hobie 16. The other holds the cleat to the base and has a nut on the underside--that is the one on the front, 'facing' the front beam. If you are replacing the whole cleat, you can drill off the head of the screw and pry the cleat off the beam, then use vice grips to unscrew the screw. Chances are that the stainless screw has reacted with the aluminum beam, so you will be stuck with a larger hole. You will probably be better off reaming the holes in the new swivel cleat base and tapping the rear beam so that you can use a larger screw. If you get a large threaded screw, it will probably tap itself.
  • Unless the thing is complete toast, you may want to try and repair it. You should be able to replace the cleat (probably a Harken 150) without removing the whole thing. And the part where the cleat is mounted can be carefully bent back up with vice grips or whatever. Someone probably stood on it while stepping the mast.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Dan, That will work. thank you. Damon, That is the cleat I'm planing to replace on my '79 hobie 16. Once I replace this, I'll check the angle. it was most likely stepped on before I got it.

--
    Ed Lavin
    Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.