Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to pitchpole a H18  Bottom

• Here's one way to "almost "do it...

http://www.facebook.com/v…deo_id=10200114911349301

Edited by flaco on Feb 12, 2013 - 09:54 AM.
  • Nice, and she popped back up...that your boat? Where?
    Looks like wing tabs on that front crossbar..
    What kind of spin? Solid mast? I've got similar w/spin, wing "ability" thought I don't much use the wings these days unless cruising to the islands... feel much more connected to the boat w/o big clumsy wings to deal with... cheers - Rob

Edited by robpatt on Feb 12, 2013 - 08:00 AM.
  • IMHO that was not a pitch pole.. that was a bow stuff..

It's not a pitchpole till you overturn

pitch·pole (pchpl)
    intr. & tr.v. pitch·poled, pitch·pol·ing, pitch·poles Nautical
    To flip or cause to flip end over end: The raft pitchpoled in the rapids.
  • yeah, bow stuff but always fun to recover from! I was doing the wind thing downwind (no spin) in a good breeze w/my 60lb son at the leeward front crossbar... just carving it, heat up, bear off... just beautiful... somehow he knew it and warned me, next thing I know I'm going over the backside to avoid the boom... he just held on and when we righted he was 'popped' back up on the hull... what a blast. epic. oh, and it was a downwind leg to a gate in a regatta, we passed 2 or 3 boats on that leg... downwind! man what a blast!

Edited by robpatt on Feb 12, 2013 - 08:12 AM.
  • MN3IMHO that was not a pitch pole.. that was a bow stuff..

Here's one way to "almost "do it...

Better??
  • robpattNice, and she popped back up...that your boat? Where?
    What kind of spin? Solid mast? I've got similar w/spin, wing "ability" thought I don't much use the wings these days unless cruising to the islands... feel much more connected to the boat w/o big clumsy wings to deal with... cheers - RobEdited by robpatt on Feb 12, 2013 - 08:00 AM.

It's at Indian Rocks Beach here in Florida. It's an SX comptip, stock spin I never use. I agree about the wings. They're tons of fun in the Summer with wife/friends but for this time of year, I love the feel of the boat much more without them.
  • defiantly more accurate
    flaco
    MN3IMHO that was not a pitch pole.. that was a bow stuff..

Here's one way to "almost "do it...

Better??

fun video.
    good lesson for anyone who goes on the wire. Move weight forward (quickly) and you will find your bows digging in.

I have capsized many times.
    I never flipped a catamaran end over end (pitchpole)
    I have stuffed the bows dozens of times, i have never capsized after a stuff (but they sure wake ya up)

i know they happen, typically (around here) to lighter boats in 35+knots
  • Great Vid though, you need a chicken line for the crew so when you do stuff he does not go flying. Almost is right! Looks like FUN. Cheers Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Bill took me for on a honkin ride on the blue ribbon one evening and Hank wasn't lucky enough to be tetherballed to the bows. He went for a swim in biloxi bay, all while managing to save the pabst-arita. icon_cool
  • I don't race, so crashing doesn't really bother me. I've also capsized may times, gone flying on the wire, had several trap wires break, etc. I did a proper pitchpole once in Dunedin and had to dig the mast out of 2-3 feet of mud to get her back up again.
    As long as #1 nobody gets hurt , and #2 nothing major breaks, then it's all good, and it usually makes a GOOD day a GREAT day !!
  • flaco
    robpattNice, and she popped back up...that your boat? Where?
    What kind of spin? Solid mast? I've got similar w/spin, wing "ability" thought I don't much use the wings these days unless cruising to the islands... feel much more connected to the boat w/o big clumsy wings to deal with... cheers - RobEdited by robpatt on Feb 12, 2013 - 08:00 AM.

It's at Indian Rocks Beach here in Florida. It's an SX comptip, stock spin I never use. I agree about the wings. They're tons of fun in the Summer with wife/friends but for this time of year, I love the feel of the boat much more without them.

sweet... I grew up in St. Pete, Dixie Hollins high, often got lost on school days winding up at Mad Beach, TI, etc... still go down there to see mom, maybe sometime we can hookup and sail. My H18 was an SX and I bought it from a guy in Brandon, hauled it up to Mississippi where it now loves on the same beach as yours, just a few 100 miles north... cheers - Rob.
  • matt922Bill took me for on a honkin ride on the blue ribbon one evening and Hank wasn't lucky enough to be tetherballed to the bows. He went for a swim in biloxi bay, all while managing to save the pabst-arita. icon_cool

being tetherballed sounds painful, good thing he saved the pb-rita.
  • QuoteIMHO that was not a pitch pole.. that was a bow stuff..

Yeah, when you blow the water & snot out of your nose, then look up to see the mast coming down on top you, that's a pitchpole.
    With all your time Andrew, I don't know how you've avoided it. My buddy PP the 5.7 by driving it full power into a steep wave with myself on the wire. I did it once, solo, while on a broad reach in big wind. I got to far forward, I've since been out in as strong of wind & it stayed down.
    I also PP the N 5.0 once, but I think that was due to a bunch of water in the hull that sloshed forward. While racing the 5.7 last summer I was whipping the 5 as hard as she would go on a broad reach. She lifted her azz a couple of times, I was standing with one foot behind the tie bar, & by dumping some power it came back down. My buddy right behind me nearly crashed he was laughing so hard. He said he could see the entire underside of the tramp.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • what an awesome day it was! 3 of us on the blueribbon ripping it up then WHOOSH!! bows stuffed to the beam...then BOING!!!...POPED OUT THEN TOOK OFF LIKE A ROCKET!! man we were moving now...oh crap, hanks way back there waving at us...i thought we were faster for some reason.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Interesting - only PP's I've had were also with 3 people on board. I had a similar situation and launched my son about 20yd in front of the boat as we tomahawked in. Fortunately, it was all laughs since the water was warm and nobody got touched.

As for boat balance, I think it might be possible to have too much righting moment laterally. It keeps the boat flat, but doesn't allow the sails to spill air and depower as it heels. For me, the priority now is keeping weight way back, allowing it to heel, and keep the lee bow from digging in.

Curiously, the dynamics of a spinnaker boat seem to be more forgiving. Its still possible (last summer I had the privilege of witnessing one of my nearby competitors go down the mine), but the lift and heel force from the spin seem to help.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • glad to be wearing a life jacket that particular day! top

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.