Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting into Multis / F18HT at SYC and sailing on the gulf coast  Bottom

• Greetings!

I am new to this forum and to multihull sailing. I have recently started getting into multis and sailing an F18HT on Lake Pontchartrain.

I've been racing forever especially the last few years on the Gulf Coast doing every regatta possible in PHRF (Melges 24, J-130, J-105) and OD (V15, Lightning, J22). Recently, the owner of the J-105 I sail on brought his F18HT down from Connecticut to sail down here. So now I'm going to start getting into multihulls.

I've noticed that OSYC has a lot of regattas and I have a few of those on my schedule as well as the rountd the island race at FWYC. Until then, I'm trying to learn the boat. I've gotten it out a few times now in lighter wind and it is FAST! Currently, I do not have the spinnaker system rigged, as carbon snuffer/sprit is being repaired at Cat5 Composites. Once that is fixed, I'd like to get the spinnaker rigged and really start moving.

I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone out there online or locally has pictures of their 18HT setups and any tuning information that may be available. There is very little available online and the one person I know locally who is familiar with the boat is very busy this time of year.

Anyways- looking forward to getting into multihulls and I'm sure I'll see some of you on the gulf coast this summer!

--
    F18HT USA 070
    SYC- New Orleans, LA
    --
  • Sent you a PM. Bring that thing to OSYC as soon (and often) as possible!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks for the PM! Please see my reply- I grew up sailing the Rez.

I'm planning on doing Slip to Ship and Island Hop, and potentially GYA Multis.
    Also planning on doing FWYC Round the Island in Florida.
    Maybe next year GT300?

I'd like to get with some beach cat sailors before Slip to Ship if possible. Are there any good opportunities?

--
    F18HT USA 070
    SYC- New Orleans, LA
    --
  • OSYC is "THE" only best cat sailing place on the coast until you get over towards Pensacola. We have a beach, a beach house, and lots of cats...

I already e-mailed a good sailor bud of mine who has an HT who will contact you... there's already 3 HTs that regularly sail out of OSYC, so you can be #4 and get lots of tips and tricks...

Otherwise, check our website, and the beachcats calendar, for our regatta schedule... highly recommend checking OSYC's racing page...

http://www.osyc.com/index…Content&func=view&pid=22

You can leave the boat on the beach if you like, many do.... the sailing program is ran by the Ocean Springs Sailing Squadron, a 501(c) 3 non-profit which is closely affiliated, but separate from, the yacht club. That said, you don't have to be a club member to sail there. PM me for more info or e-mail fleetcaptain@osyc.com...

cheers,
    Rob.
  • Thanks for the info, Rob.

The only earlier regatta I see listed is the 1699 regatta. Unfortunately I won't make that one-Billy Joel is at Jazzfest that day.

I would consider leaving it during the summer season, but being so far away I would worry about it...right now it's stored at SYC a mile away from my house. One problem with SYC is there is no beach to launch. I am learning quickly that getting out of our dry storage area can be pretty tricky in that boat in breeze. For now, I've been towing out/in with a powerboat.

Thanks again for the info and I look forward to doing some sailing at OSYC this year.

Regards,
    David

Edited by davidm89 on Jan 29, 2013 - 01:00 PM.

--
    F18HT USA 070
    SYC- New Orleans, LA
    --
  • David, check your private messages on this site... cheers, rob.
  • keep in mind the dauphin island race in late april and the round cat island(pass christian yc) in early october...fun distance races. dauphin island race always starts calm and then blows like hell combined with choppy seas..good times! the cat island race doesnt have a lot of multis but i love it. osyc is awesome! love the people and location...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.