Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailer bunks versus cradles  Bottom

• I have a Hobie 16 on a trailer with the hard rubber rollers. I was reading something that recommended cradles for catamarans. Some manufacturers require these and warn of damage if cradles are not used.

I have seen cradles on a very race worthy and expensive looking cat at my sailing club but nowhere else.

What are the recommendations for using cradles and getting rid of the bunks/rollers? Should a H16 have a need for this? What boats require these?

Thanks

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Cradles will do a better job of supporting a larger surface area, thereby reducing point pressure on your hulls. The key is to try and align the supporting devices under the internal bulkheads or spars in your boats hulls. this will place the jostling weight of your cat on the strongest places in your hulls. You can find lots of past discussion about the pros and cons of different trailer support devices by using the sites search function.

Just one of many that addresses your questions: http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13034

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • Look at the hull shape of a cat with symmetrical hulls, no strength on the bottoms, have to use cradles for greater surface area. Compare that to a cat with asymmetrical hulls, that "V" shape is very strong, can drag one of those tanks up and down the beach for years with little wear on the bottom. Don't dare drag one of those $$$$ babies on any sand...... lachen
  • On a similar note, what is the take on double rollers versus cradles on the rear beam of the trailer? Specifically I am talking about my F18 trailer. The double rollers are nice to get the boat on and off the trailer. My concern is damage during travel; in my case there is basically zero load on the rear of the trailer since my mast is supported with a stand and the geometry puts the front trailer crossbeam close to the C.G of the boat.

These are the double rollers I'm talking about: http://www.trailex.com/TX-1100HC-21SC.cfm
  • If you launch from the beach, you will enjoy the rollers on the rear beam when transitioning to your beach wheels. For transportation too and from your destination they're fine, just don't store your boat on them. You would want to look at some simple cradles for storage, or simply support the cross members at either end with some stands. I converted my trailer to cradles since I store the boat on it during the summer months, (and my boat weighs 150+ lbs more than an F18.) I also primarily lake sail in the mountains of Oregon and have to use a boat launch for lack of beach access. So rollers in the back gain me very little advantage. With a light weight F18 I'm not sure that its a big deal, but for a heavier boat, cradles would merit some consideration if you plan to keep the boat on the trailer most of the time.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • There are pros and cons to everything, I would not be concerened about storing a boat on double rollers. In all of my old boats, I have not seen any real damaged other than simple black marks from rollers. Some of those boats have been stored on the rollers for 30 years. (pending that the front is not winched down hard)

In the rear there is hardly and weight so it does not matter much. I would reccomend cradles at the front of every symetrical hulled cat. I also reccomend moving the front support as far forward as possible. I have done this to a number of hobie 18 and I20 trailers with excellent results.

The downside of cradles is that they can hide and hold forieng objects that can cometiems scratch hulls. If the boat is stored outdoors, they can also create blisters from retaining moisture.

A hobie 16 doesnt need cradles.

Edited by bacho on Jan 31, 2013 - 06:25 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • bacho I would not be concerned about storing a boat on double rollers. In all of my old boats, I have not seen any real damage other than simple black marks from rollers. Some of those boats have been stored on the rollers for 30 years. (given that the front (or rear) tie downs are not winched down hard)

I agree.
    My asymetrical cat hulls have been stored on the single rollers of my trailer for 27 years without damage- but there is a caveat or two...

*As Bacho said, always loosen the tiedowns.
    *Do not allow rain or snow or anything heavy to accumulate on the boat. Angle your trailer or cover if you need to for drainage.
    *Put a hinged aft mast support on your trailer so that your mast never bears down on the hulls (via the crossbar).
    *Doubling the rollers doubles the hull area carrying the weight. Very smart idea.

Beware of tight fitting cradles that go high up the sides. If you search other threads here on cradles you will see a number of people reporting blisters in the hull fiberglass under the cradles from moisture being trapped for long periods of time. Some cradles used carpeting and others had felt/fabric of some kind.

yelkenli1 Should a H16 have a need for this? What boats require these?

bachoA hobie 16 doesnt need cradles.

Asymetrical hulls like yours are very strong.
    Round, symmetrical hulls like the newer daggerboard/centerboard cats would benefit from cradles.

samc99usMy concern is damage during travel

Damage from the rollers? Unless you are traveling for hours each way to your sailing spot, and doing this weekly, you are getting much more wear on your hulls during storage than driving.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Cradles for the front period, even on the 16. I have personally repaired a couple of H-16s. If the boat is going to sit at dry sail area then the rollers for the 16 are fine on both ends. I would always do cradles on the front.

On my durable H-18 I have cradles front and Double rollers rear, on the Nacra 5.5 cradles front and rear. JMHO, YMMV, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.