Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need help picking stops for Florida road trip.  Bottom

• I've got to get out of Memphis and this dreary cold weather, so I'm thinking of making a road trip to South Florida. I'm looking for ideas of people and places I should visit along the way.

I know North Florida very well but haven't spent that much time South of the panhandle.

I'd like to visit as many of the active beachcat sailing areas, clubs, and businesses as possible. Would probably work my way down the East coast to Islamorada and then up the West coast on the way back.

I know I want to check out Falcon Marine in Cape Canaveral and the Sarasota Sailing Squadron but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Suggestions? I'd like this to be a "whistle stop" tour and meet the local beachcat sailors as I go along. Want to start sometime in February and spend about 7-10 days on the road. So if there are events I can schedule to attend within that time frame it would be great.

Suggestions Please!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • the sarasota sailing squadron is good. there a nice f16, f18 fleet. then me and my h16. i dont really know about the other clubs with multihulls.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • lemme know if your in my neck of the woods. i would gladdly meet up with ya and introduce ya to the locals and you are more than welcome to island hop all weekend with us
  • MN3lemme know if your in my neck of the woods. i would gladdly meet up with ya and introduce ya to the locals and you are more than welcome to island hop all weekend with us

Definitely plan to make The Causeway one of the stops. I've actually been there a few times years ago when I had relatives living at Dunedin. Really great sailing area.

In fact I actually sailed from The Causeway within a few months after purchasing a catamaran (Hobie 18) for the first time in the early '90's, overconfidence and lack of weather awareness (storm coming) nearly ended my beachcat sailing career before it had begun! Luckily The Tackle Shack was able to repair my broken daggerboard the next day. icon_biggrin

Anything interesting to the North of you? I remember Tarpon Springs was a cool place (non sailing) place for Greek food and souvenir sponges.

Who are the local beachcat dealers?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I would suggest you contact cyberspeed, (aka Craig Van Eaton) and stop off at Palm Beach Shores on Singer Island. Craig would only be too happy to have some "railmeat" for his Supercat 20. He is very involved in the sailing community and could put you in touch with many contacts on the West Coast of Florida.

Go to this website:- http://sailseries.com/

and click on the contact info. Or maybe you know of him already?
  • The local dealer is still tackle shack

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • You gonna drag the boat or just take sailing gear??

Fat Tuesday on Key West should be interesting for ppl watching but thats still a little ways off. When I had the Columbia 8.7 in St Pete I would drive down the west coast past Cedar Key but never did stop there - thats on my list for this years motorcycle trip south on the way to Miami and Key West

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • watson island in miami is an excellent place to launch and do biscayne bay.
  • QuoteAnything interesting to the North of you? I remember Tarpon Springs was a cool place (non sailing) place for Greek food and souvenir sponges.

Sailing:
    The islands north of Honeymoon island (dunedin causeway) are great to sail to. 3 Rooker is just north, and then Anclote Island. Anclote is due west of Tarpon and the Fred Howard Park (and causeway).

Yesterday we sailed out hurricane pass (dunedin), down past the clearwater / Sandkey pass, then turned back north and went all the way to n.honeymoon for a pit stop. 25miles/9mph avg. FUNTASTIC time!

Non sailing:
    Tarpon is still great for a day at the sponge docks and great greek food.. besided that.. nothing too exciting to the north (unless you find rednecks exciting)

Dunedin has a great downtown with a great Main street (accross from the dunedin marina) for lunch/dinner and esp drinks. Of course if you want to gawk at spring breakers or blue hairs.. clwtr beach has really become a tourist location (even much more than in the 90's)

QuoteWho are the local beachcat dealers?

Jill Nickerson and her hubby (world class cat racer) Robbie Daniels are local (clearwater), they are AHPC dealers and i heard she had 3 Carbon Nacra 17's (olympic) cats on her property, 1 was sold, 2 avail still so i guess they are also nacra dealers (or just had access to them). I have personally purchased 5 sails from them... Robbie is about the best ambassador for the sport i have ever met

Mike from Ellie's sailing shop (clwtr) is the local repair shop, and sells New Sunfish, Lazers and used cats/dingies
  • Second. Jill and Robbie. They are great. I run into them at clearwater community sailing center. They also have a nice fleet.

Will

uote=MN3]
    QuoteAnything interesting to the North of you? I remember Tarpon Springs was a cool place (non sailing) place for Greek food and souvenir sponges.

Sailing:
    The islands north of Honeymoon island (dunedin causeway) are great to sail to. 3 Rooker is just north, and then Anclote Island. Anclote is due west of Tarpon and the Fred Howard Park (and causeway).

Yesterday we sailed out hurricane pass (dunedin), down past the clearwater / Sandkey pass, then turned back north and went all the way to n.honeymoon for a pit stop. 25miles/9mph avg. FUNTASTIC time!

Non sailing:
    Tarpon is still great for a day at the sponge docks and great greek food.. besided that.. nothing too exciting to the north (unless you find rednecks exciting)

Dunedin has a great downtown with a great Main street (accross from the dunedin marina) for lunch/dinner and esp drinks. Of course if you want to gawk at spring breakers or blue hairs.. clwtr beach has really become a tourist location (even much more than in the 90's)

QuoteWho are the local beachcat dealers?

Jill Nickerson and her hubby (world class cat racer) Robbie Daniels are local (clearwater), they are AHPC dealers and i heard she had 3 Carbon Nacra 17's (olympic) cats on her property, 1 was sold, 2 avail still so i guess they are also nacra dealers (or just had access to them). I have personally purchased 5 sails from them... Robbie is about the best ambassador for the sport i have ever met

Mike from Ellie's sailing shop (clwtr) is the local repair shop, and sells New Sunfish, Lazers and used cats/dingies[/quote]

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Gulfport has nice little cat friendly yacht club that sails on Boca Ciega Bay. There are always a few sailors around during the week.

http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/

Edited by virginiasailor on Feb 23, 2013 - 07:49 AM.

--
    Virginiasailor
    Prindle 15
    --
  • Did you go on you trip yet?

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.